ACT Test

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

My son took an ACT test at school and scored 18.  I know very little about this test and am wondering if that is a good score or alow score.  He is in the 8th grade and is 14 years old.

1. workingmomwm profile image80
      workingmomwmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I scored an 880 on the SAT when I was in 7th grade (comparable to an 18 on the ACT).
      Three years later, I scored a 29 on the ACT and a 1220 on the SAT, which was good enough to qualify me as a National Merit Finalist and earn me a few free rides to colleges.
      So, it could be a very good score, if he continues on the way he's going.

2. Rising Caren profile image79
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

The ACT is a college assessment test similar to the SAT. It has an extra science section, which the SAT doesn't have. However, the math and english sections are also easier than the SAT's so it does balance out. The ACT is the primary college test for the western part of the US, whereas the SAT is the primary test for the eastern part, though many colleges will accept either.

I'll be honest, 18 is not that great,that'd put him around the 35th percentile (meaning in a room of 100 random test takers, about 65 people would have done better).

However he's an 8th grader and a great deal of ACT test-takers are 10-11th graders, so I guess that's not too bad.

When your son takes the ACT seriously (in the 10th-11th grade), he should aim for 22+ (30+ is best).

You might be able to get sample tests and find out how to grade them in order to self-test your son at home. If he can study enough to get a 22 before high school, he'll probably get a 30+ in the 10th-11th grade.

3. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I've heard that 18 is about average for Juniors in High School. Not a bad score, an 18 won't get many scholarships, but it doesn't look terrible to quite a few colleges, but obviously a 20+ is always better. It goes all the way up to 36.

4. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the replies.  He told us he got 18 out of a possible 25.  I haven't been able to find any ACT tests that only go up to 25.

1. Rising Caren profile image79
      Rising Carenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well the ACT goes up to 36.

So either he doesn't know what it goes up to or he took a different test that is also called ACT.

Well if your son knows his score, that means he either got the report card (which has the total scores on the back) or he has his student number which you can use to check his score online.

Unless of course it is a different test in which case you can only find out how good it is by asking your son/son's school exactly what test it is.

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

The SAT test has changed too since I knew very much about it.  Now it has three parts, not just two.

What is considered to be an average acceptable (SAT) score now?  What would be too low to consider college?

1. Rising Caren profile image79
      Rising Carenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For the current SAT, anything higher than a 1800 is ok, though a 2000+ is much better.

Some schools just ignore the 3rd part and add up the english/math sections to figure out how it'd convert to the old SAT way.

Anyway. For students, small scholarships tend to start at 1000 SAT (eng + math), 1500 full SAT (eng + mat + writing), or 23 ACT.

Bigger scholarships tend to be at 1300 SAT (eng+math), 2000 (eng + math + writing) or 27 ACT.

For exteme scholarships (like full or near full), it'd be around 1400 SAT, 2200 full SAT, or 30 ACT.

You know, give or a take a few deviations. Different schools, different rules, but that's about a good average.

EDIT: And also, what sad??? I scored a  2000 on the new SAT (with a 1325 eng/math conversion to old SAT) as well as a 30 on ACT and I didn't get any free rides!! I only got a half ride. I don't know what schools you applied to but I'm so jealous!!

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you SO much!  This is very helpful.  I think I'll bookmark it, in case I forget some of this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)