Better to be similar or different in a relationship?

1. 0
    Wadey101mposted 7 years ago

For a relationship to work you need similarities and differences. But is it better to be more similar or more different?

2. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 7 years ago

I would say more similar, in general, especially in basic outlook on life.

However, I think what's most important is that the differences are complementary. For example, my husband is a man of action - very decisive and very spontaneous - while I tend to live 90% in my head and overanalyze things to the point of neurosis. I keep his feet on the ground during his wilder flights of fancy; he keeps me from paralyzing myself with indecision. We make a good team. smile

A major part of becoming a successful relationship is taking differences that could be infuriating sources of conflict and remaking them into a complementary partnership.

3. footynut profile image61
    footynutposted 7 years ago

I agree kerryg. I think there are certain aspects of a relationship that need to be similar. For example I think its really important that you share a similar sense of humour to the person you are in a relationship with. Being able to laugh together is a key ingredient to any relationship. There are other aspects of a relationship that may benefit from different outlooks. For me and my girlfriend, I am often too laid back and don't have a worry in the world where as she worries about absolutely everything! I think when combined we level each other out. My opinion is that a balance of similarities and differences is the best formula for a successful relationship smile