jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Are all religions more similar than we believe they are?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image98
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 2 years ago

Are all religions more similar than we believe they are?

Do various faiths have more things in common than they have differences? Are they just different paths to the same place?

2. chef-de-jour profile image98
    chef-de-jourposted 2 years ago

I'd like to think all religions are trying to source the Ultimate Creator's energy, if there is such a thing, something beyond rational understanding, which sounds rather mystical?
    The problem seems to be that for millennia some of these different religions have aggressively and blindly followed the teachings of a few powerful ' spiritual' leaders, interpreting holy texts to gain the upper hand in the secular world.
    Most or if not all religions have PEACE writ large and bold in their historical texts - but everyone knows it hasn't been top of their agendas!!

1. aguasilver profile image80
      aguasilverposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Spot on Andrew, manipulation of the masses by all means, including religion. Sociopaths manifest whatever cloak they need to allow them the access to a mainly gullible public in all aspects of historical and current events.
      All designed to decieve.

3. getitrite profile image79
    getitriteposted 2 years ago

All religions are similar in that they are all based on blind faith in the imaginations declared by someone else, usually some dubious author or authors who are long dead. All religions are similar in that none of them have any evidence to back up the claims that they assert.

4. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 2 years ago

Yes indeed: different paths for the same ending lol "All roads lead to Rome." : )

There are countless similarities between religions - I can't go into details here, or I'll turn this answer into an article lol I researched this topic though. I encourage others to do the same. The more we learn about each other, the easier things will be.
    We're all One. It is the Law of One.

5. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I really think so. It seems it is the preparation of or for life be that physical or eternal and the delivery of the message where differences at times seem to lay rather than the message itself. One ponders what we learn here at HP with content and context for our hubs and the message we each bring with them. How many ways are there to write a hub for instance on how to cook chicken. When it comes down to the nitty gritty it is chicken and it is being cooked everything else is preparation and delivery. Could we use that as an analogy for differences with religion?

6. Radical Rog profile image79
    Radical Rogposted 2 years ago

There are only 2 core religions, though the first is not truly a religion as it has no set doctrine, nor a list of commandments bar one. This is the belief that there is a spiritual power, gods, more than 1, polytheism, whatever you want to call it. All ancient civilisations practised this sort of belief, that gods existed and that mankind should seek knowledge of these gods.
    The second form of religion is monotheistic, that there is only one God, a religion that through history has practiced suppression on the other form. It's doctrine is that mankind should have faith and believe, but that anything beyond this is a mystery and should remain so, with prescribed punishment for those who disobey.
    The first, acknowledges the existence of the God of the second, describing him as a jealous God, the God of War, a God who claims to be the only God. This God and the various religions that follow him appear to be totally divided, with a history of waring among themselves, continuing today. A policy of divide and rule, too busy waring among themselves to seek an alternative. And also forbidden to do so.
    Consider the story of Adam and Eve, forbidden to eat from the Tree of Knowledge. But what is wrong with knowledge? Knowledge is truth and the truth will set you free. So why should a God, who claims to be the one and only God, fear mankind knowing the truth? Unless he is not what he claims to be.