jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Grand Theft Auto

1. Polly C profile image86
    Polly Cposted 6 years ago

My son is going for a sleepover at a friends house tomorrow. Today I overheard the two of them planning to play Grand Theft Auto during the sleepover. I did not even know this boy owned this game and I am strongly against my son playing it as he is only nine and it is rated 18. After speaking with them I discovered he has already played it once before. Should I tell the mother of the friend that I do not want my son to play it?

1. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can, but that won't stop the kids from playing these games. They'll find a way.  smile

Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I'm sure he will. it surprises me how many children of his age are allowed to play this sort of game. Personally I haven't actually seen it, but I have a pretty good idea of what it is about. My son doesn't really want me to say anything because 'it won't be cool'. On one hand, I don't want him to do it, on the other am pleased that he has talked about it. One parent I know has a policy of turning a blind eye if it is in someone elses house. Just how bad is this game anyhow? Does anyone know?

2. Arthur Fontes profile image91
    Arthur Fontesposted 6 years ago

You can walk around and shoot people randomly as well as pick up prostitutes sell drugs all kinds of nasty things.  There is obscene language.

Not a good game for children.

3. 0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 6 years ago

Quit trying to shelter your kid from all bad things.  He will learn the stuff anyways.  I agree it is not good to have in your own home but you will only hurt him by trying to shelter him from the world.  Just my opinion.

4. Polly C profile image86
    Polly Cposted 6 years ago

Thanks for your replies.  I know that he will learn about lots of stuff I don't want him to know about, but he could be playing this game for hours during a sleepover and not just for a bit. The thought fills me with dread! And when I think about the content of the game, I think it would be really bad if he first learns of these issues through the warped nature of Grand Theft Auto.

5. mikicagle profile image94
    mikicagleposted 6 years ago

As a mom you have the duty to look out for your sons best interests.  You need to tell the other child's mother you would rather not have your son play the game.  As far as sheltering him too much-the boy is only NINE!  No nine year old needs to know about drug dealing and prostitutes.  Children are only children for a short time and shame on the adults who allow them to be corrupted too soon.

Polly Cposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Mikicagle, you are absolutely right. That's what I did, when I took him there today. Turns out that my son's friend wasn't even supposed to have that game, he'd got it from his older brother who 20. (Not very responsible on the brother's part.)