How much would you pay for a gourmet cupcake?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (21 posts)
  1. cupcakefan profile image59
    cupcakefanposted 13 years ago

Local grocery stores charge $3.99 for a dozen basic cupcakes.  How about a gourmet cupcake from a cupcake boutique?  Would you pay $3.99 or more for one cupcake?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

NO!  I'd take Krispy Cream over that price mess, Starbucks is high enough

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Would totally depend on where I was and what the cupcake looked like and was made-of/supposed to be.

You start doling out that kind of money for a cupcake you are into emotional purchase territory, experiential rather than just a dessert or party treat.

That said, yes, I would if the mood was right and it looked amazing etc.

3. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I have paid $2 for a cupcake, but that was a truly great cupcake with almond paste and a very fancy buttercream frosting in some hooty tooty bakery in San Francisco.  I don't usually pay that much.  I go to Costco and get yummy cupcakes that are 12 for 6.99 (I think)  and they are actually muffins, but I call them cupcakes cuz they're that sweet.  and big.  oh no.  now I need to eat a cupcake.  darn it.

4. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't pay more then $1 for a cupcake unless it was for a charity or a school bake sale. But then again, I'm very frugal.

5. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

No. If I'm going to spend three days' food allowance, darn sure it wouldn't be on one cupcake.

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Talk about exchange rate. Probably the average price for a cupcake over here would be $4

7. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I personally wouldn't, but I frequent local craft sales as a vendor and there's a lady that almost always ends up next to me who sells gourmet cupcakes for $3.50 apiece. No matter how slow the sale is going, she always leaves with very few or no cupcakes left. These are all about 6" diameter cupcakes from her own recipes, and she makes her own frosting to go with it. She gave me one of her leftovers after a sale last March -- pumpkin spice with buttercream frosting -- and I started to see why people are willing to pay that. Another thing she has in her favor is that at most of the craft sales some kind of food is served around lunchtime, but if any dessert is available it's generally commercially-available cakes or donuts, so most of her business comes after everyone is done eating. I can't say anything about gourmet cupcake shops, but those sales sure do well for her even in such a small town (9,000) and with the current economy.

8. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

In NZ the average cost of a CupCake is 2x Bunches of WaterCress and 1x Wild Duck Egg... Anything beyond that is too much! hmm

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'd make my own!

10. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

If I really really really want it price wouldn't really really matter. My stomach over-rules my brain at times. smile

http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y323/fashionelites/cupcakes.jpg

1. puter_dr profile image91
      puter_drposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have a Gourmet Cupcake shop in town, and we have not been there, but supposedly they charge $5 per cupcake.
      A cupcake would have to be awfully special to be worth 5 bucks.

I am thinking 2-3 dollars would be my limit for a special treat, but like my wife says, I am  a tightwad.

11. Writerxink! profile image60
    Writerxink!posted 13 years ago

I love gourmet cupcake. I would pay six dollars for a cupcake. Remember it gourmet and the ingredient are freshly made to your liking. It would be a occasional treat.

1. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 13 years ago

I'd probably pay 5 or 10 bucks for a cupcake, because they are super yummy.  It better come with milk though.

2. Vanmil profile image60
      Vanmilposted 13 years ago

I would pay up to $12.00 for a cupcake if i knew it was really something special - it would of course have to be somewhat large inorder to justify the cost, with pleanty of icing, decorations and a filling of custard or cream or something else tantalising

3. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

i have to follow a gluten free diet- if i am out and someone has made a gluten free cake I pay what is asked whatever it is and smile whilst I am doing it!

4. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

The other day I spent £1.20 (about $1.80) on a caramel slice in my local pastry shop/cafe.  (It consisted of a triangle of shortbread topped with caramel and chocolate.)  I thought I was being quite extravagant spending £1.20, so the answer to the question "Would I spend $3.99 or its equivalent on a cupcake?" is a definite "no"!

5. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 13 years ago

In Paris be ready to pay €3,50 for a take away cupcake  (something like $4,44)
      I am not a cupcake fan, but I admit that I can not resist the "Miss Violette" cupcake smile

The price is not that bad if you consider that you pay around €6 (around $7,60) for individual gourmet cakes at Fauchon's!

6. eventsyoudesign profile image60
      eventsyoudesignposted 13 years ago

I would and have paid a lot for a cupcake, but it was gourmet and worth every penny.

7. sim0n30 profile image61
      sim0n30posted 13 years ago

I think i could probably stretch to $5 if it was a really tasty looking cupcake!

8. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I would pay nothing, I'm not into cupcakes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)