My hub has been copied

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (27 posts)
  1. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 13 years ago

My hub http://hubpages.com/hub/15-MinuteYoga has been copied by this site:  http://beautycare.ellamey.com/yogahealth.php  as in copied all of it including my photos. 

There is no DMCA for this site and I was wondering what do I do? 
    Thanks for any help regarding this matter. Thank you!

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ripple...write to the webmaster of the beautycare and ask him to remove the copied content...ur content is copyright protected by hub and u can make him withdraw...

2. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

www. ellamey.com/contactus.html (without the space) has a contact form and some email addresses. The formatting is messed up and you need to scroll right across the page. There is also an email address webdivision @ ellamey.com.

This is from their terms and conditions for submitting work:

3.You truthfully assert that the content being contributed is your creation and that you own the copyright to the content. Unless you have deliberately assigned the copyright to someone else, you automatically own the copyright to all of your original creations.

4.You truthfully assert you have not infringed on anybody else's copyright in the creation of this article.

Send a DMCA and see what happens smile

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Had a quick glance and it look likes EVERYTHING on that site is copied, including their opening intro.
    Sorry can't help further, until it happens to me after which I am sure I will learn everything about how to bring them down.

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Good Luck Michelle... Sufi has it right. 
    Have you done a whois on their site? hmm

5. ripplemaker profile image77

Thanks guys.

Sufi, I did email once but they didn't take it down. I guess this means it's one of those things that I just have to leave it as it is.  sad  Anyhow, I will go back and follow your directions and try one more time. 

Pearldiver, no I didn't yet.

Izzy, yes it seems it is a site that does that.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image71
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I guess this means it's one of those things that I just have to leave it as it is."

I'd advise against letting it go. The way I understand it, if you don't enforce your copyright, it can become harder to retain.

The folks at that website have committed a crime against you (and, it seems, others).Bunch of wankers.

ripplemakerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was looking at the website helplessly... But sufi said something down below this post..will re read it again.  Thanks though for reminding me about my rights.  smile

6. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 13 years ago

How does this site get away with such?

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Hopefully they won't. I think if they ignore the DMCA, you take it up with their serving host. Does anyone knows how to find out such things? I mean obviously people do know, I mean can they tell us here in the forums so that we know?

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.whois.net

Type the web site name in the appropriate place and do a search - the
      serving host comes under the "name server" section.  (The URL of the serving host is what you get if you replace "ns1" with "www".)

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for that Empress smile
        I'm going to save that away in notepad for easy reference should I ever need it.

8. Sufidreamer profile image77

Hi RippleMaker

It looks like they host their own site (via Invictus), so that may be a dead end.

If it was just writing, I would be tempted to ignore it, but the fact that they used your personal images is unforgivable.

Go straight to Google, who can and often do delist the site from searches if it repeatedly infringes copyright.

http://www.google.com/dmca.html

You will need to fax or mail the form smile

There is a process for Yahoo, too:

http://www.seologic.com/faq/dmca-notifications.php

Best of luck!

EDIT: This has some good info:

http://brainz.org/dmca-takedown-101/

Thank you kind sir..I will check the links you have posted.  Yes I went back to the site and also saw the Invictus thingy.  Now to read the links you have posted.  On my way, and thanks for the help.

9. Pearldiver profile image67

Well Done Mate... thanks for that. smile
    Of course a well written hub with the appropriate Negative Keywords that point out the true ethical values of that party.. would work a treat hmm

10. Sufidreamer profile image77

No worries, PD

How are you, anyway? smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Sufi..... It's Autumn and I saw a pic today of HUGE Greek Strawberries and thought Yummmm.... why am I not on a plane lol

Hope you guys are ok over there... I worry each time they refer to Greece on the news. You take care mate. smile

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, Sufi, try keeping Greece from toppling over yet! wink

p.s. RM: best of luck with this.. so frustrating, I know.

Yes it can be. I tried ignoring it but when I open my account...I see the red C glaring at me.  I finally came to forum to ask for help.

2. Sufidreamer profile image77
          Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@PD - Greek strawberries are the best, especially smothered in Greek honey. You are welcome anytime.

@MOW - Cheers. Don't worry - things are not anywhere near as bad as the media makes out. Most people are far too busy working to strike and cause riots.

@RM - Jeff speaks good advice. I checked into that site - they get 20 - 30 000 hits per day. Not bad for a site that blatantly steals other people's work - I would love to see them delisted from Google big_smile

EDIT: It can be a long process, but it should work, especially as they can't claim previous copyright, unless they employed a member of staff who looks exactly like you for the photos smile

11. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Good luck with this Ripplemaker.  I feel for you.  Stand strong and fight the b.....s(rude word)!

12. ripplemaker profile image77

They really do? 20 to 30,000 hits per day?  Geee...

PearlDiver, I just read your fan mail.  Thank you so much for it.  It gave my heart a lift. smile 

Travelespresso, stand strong.  I will! Now to go back and read the rules for the DMCA.

13. ripplemaker profile image77

Sufi, may you kindly explain what this statement means?

The biggest limitatin to the DMCA notice and takedown system is that the DMCA is limited to the U.S. and only applies to Web hosts and search engines located within the country.

Would it apply to this website?

14. Pearldiver profile image67

Check the site details @ www.whois.com.

Irrespective of where it is you can do it damage via google if it is monetized. AND If it is ranked with common search engines (which it is).

Out of US sites can deny any culpability they wish by hiding behind such disclaimers... however.. ANY Legal Challenge will always be determined via the US standards of all Search engines that have ANY Dependance on American site systems/support.

Don't be detracted by this..... ATTACK the thieves via their secondary relationships if you feel you can't directly.

Just go hard and discredit these guys.... you are doing yourself proud if you do.

Michelle.. ou can leave your challenge to them EVERYWHERE..FB.. TW..DIG.. Stumbleon and every other site that they have a relationship with.  You can halve their traffic this way as people don't like cheats!

Pearldiver, I understand what you are trying to say.  I guess I just don't know what to do exactly! Does that sound silly and crazy?  This will indeed be a loong process ..... I will work on it on my spare time.

1. BDazzler profile image79
        BDazzlerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It appears that their domain and hosting is through: http://www.siliconhouse.net/

Remember domain names are not "owned" they are leased.  Since the .com domain name is ultimately an American property, US Copyright applies.

Inform that company that their client (ellamey.com) is in violation of international copyright laws and that your image and property is on their server illegally.

Inform them that if they do not take immediate action within 24  hours you will notify ICANN of their lack of compliance, filling a complaint with your attorney and notifying the US Attorney General. 

Furthermore, since .com is a US Property, you will be seeking punitive damages in US Courts.

NOW ... as to how much of that you want to follow up with ... that's up to you ... but it should get their attention.

[edit]
        [NEW:]
        All ".com" domains ultimately go through Verisign, a US Company:
        "VeriSign operates the authoritative registries for .com, .net, .name, .tv, and .cc. VeriSign does not register or renew domain names - we certify registrars who register domain names for people who need them. To register or renew a domain name, find a registrar below and follow the link to their Web site. "

Bcause Verisign is the US company, they have ultimate legal responsibility ...  they will get involved if their secondary registrars don't comply.

15. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Even though the DMCA is limited, it can be classed as a second level Cease and Desist notice, which is recognised world wide.

If you send it to Google, they can remove the site from their rankings if it is found to host illegal content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)