Getting Paid to Write? How Much to Charge for your content?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

HELP-PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE  I am being asked to provide some guidelines AND figures for a company that I am working with (Website Design and Dev.). I have the guidelines more/less laid out- except for the $$$$ part of the agreement.
    Hubber's if you can help by answering any or all of these inquiries, Id greatly appreciate it  big_smile
    1.How much do you charge for Blog Posts- weekly content? All content is 100% original- NO REWRITES, I am researching and confirming all info before posting- and I am providing the Blogs to them with a Photograph/Picture (which I have actually photographed or created). Word count is anywhere from 250-750 words.
    1.5  They also asked me to generate an idea log of future subjects to write blogs on-is this free services included in the job or should I charge?
    2.I just recreated a 20 page binding contract for services-I need to bill them for it-any suggestions on $$$?
    3. How much for re-write of introduction email which they send out to all prospects and leads?
    4.Along with the contract-I made a 5 page presentation, which can be used as a Slide Show or can be printed and passed out as informational packets-How much for this?
    5. Every other month they will need me to write an article to be posted in an online magazine- 500-750 words, again what is a fair decent price?
    6. How much for reviews?
    7. Finally, How about website content-How much should I ask for to write the content for an entire custom designed site?

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

DO you want to go per word or per hour? Or per page? If you were looking for any other job, how much would you want to be paid per hour?

ETA: How much of your time is this going to take up? Is this going to be a full or part-time job. How much do you NEED to make?

I know this is a bunch of questions, but I asked a similar thing a couple of months ago, and this is what I was told to think about...and it helped. smile

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Glass Spider is right - you have to work out how much you need to earn every hour, including all of your taxes, health insurance, expenses etc. Then try to break down the list of jobs into how many hours it will take for each.

For example, a blog post, depending upon length, should take 30 minutes to a hour.

The rewrite of the e-mail: 30 - 45 minutes.

Article for an online magazine: 2 - 4 Hours

I could give you some idea of what I charge, but my cost of living is probably far lower than yours - therefore, I can work for less than US/UK based writers.

Here are some useful resources to give you an idea of rates for US writers.

http://freelancewrite.about.com/od/finances/f/rates.htm

http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.php

Hope that helps, and best of luck - if you have found a company that recognises the importance of quality, they will pay well. Don't be afraid to haggle! smile

1. michifus profile image58
      michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks - that is a great help Sufidreamer

What would you say, for a standard piece of writing, with minimal research is a good word count per hour for an employer to expect.

600 words per hour?

I have a feeling that I am undercharging!!

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, michifus - I tend to look at 500 words per hour as a decent output for low-research work smile

Don't worry - most writers are guilty of underselling themselves. It took me far too long to realise that!

1. michifus profile image58
          michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks matey - I was working on 500-600, although I have now downloaded a stopwatch to make sure I accurately clock everything. Still underselling I think but working on it!

3. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

Thanks all for replying... I guess I will throw out a figure-see if they take it, and pray I dont sell myself short  smile

4. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I have charged everything from $1 per hundred words to $230 per hundred words, it all really depends on what you think you can get away with!

The problem right now in the online freelance market is that teh old haunts, such as digital point, have now been overrun with not only indian writers, but also antive english speaking college students who are willing to charge as little as $1 per 500 words.

Like my exclusive article directory, it would be nice to creat a more exclusive freelance market website.  however I have no idea how I would attract potential buyers, or writers!

1. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would be a great thing...Attraction is all about knowing how to Market and Advertise your products  big_smile
      Woman in general know how to do this well...big_smile  Just Playing. Last night I threw together an invoice for what I have already done for them-and I think I may be underbidding myself, but I am afraid to up the price and demand more-
      $200 for a 20 page rewrite of a contract
      $50 for a presentation slide show with pics
      $45 per Blog Post (there is 4) including original photo's (they are using my photography background and asking that I provide all articles with an original picture-not sure if the price should go up because of the picture requirements?)
      $20 for an email rewrite
      -Id like to tack on some additional cost for the meetings that I drove an hour to (to find that they were busy and could not meet with me) and then hour home, and for the last minute changes they made to the rewrite (after I emailed them 9 times and called 3 times to get confirmation that it was correct and they didn't have changes-they called me 4 hrs before they needed to use the darn thing and said oops-just looked at it and we think we want to add a few things/ they had it for a freaking week!) Can you do that-add charges for headaches that their lack of communication and follow up causes you?

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe a plumber-like call out fee!

I would love to get $50 just to get out of bed.

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats a pretty good start - I didn't want to see you get sucked into the '$5 an article' mindset. We, as writers, have to change this mentality ourselves, and stop selling our professional skills short.

As for the rewrites - for future reference, I always agree the number beforehand. Establishing fees for time, like Megs78 said, is also a good idea. You might want to draw up a quick agreement about the photo's, too - make it clear that they are using them under license only, as a one off use (not sure about the legal process on that one, so you might want to chase that up!)

It is all part of a learning process! smile

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY!!

I've sold many, many articles to various publishers, ranging from $10-$375 each. Don't give your work away!

5. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 13 years ago

i think i would definitely go by the hour so that you are sure of your pay.  it took you an hour to go see them?  charge it.  its your time and your effort and if you were in their office doing it, they would be paying you by the hour.  Definitely by the hour and then maybe tack on some .43 cents per km for travel.  makes it a bit easier.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)