Wow, I just got a 10% Amazon Commission!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Somebody watched a movie on demand via one of my capsules, and Amazon gives you 10% for that!

I wouldn't really know how to get more people to watch movies, other than movie reviews, but that is still pretty sweet anyway!

Anybody else had something which pays good commission? I heard that you get 10% or something for Kindle books now, although I once sold about 10 and got 0%!

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats awesome Ryan, good for you!

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In an email from Amazon:

3. moedas profile image60
      moedasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You convinced yourself to buy an Iphone from your own hub?  What a salesman you are!

1. Smart Rookie profile image60
          Smart Rookieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, he said he bought an iPone, not iPhone. I don't know what an iPone is; maybe it's, like, a robot pony or something.

Okay then!  It sounds like some type of corn bread.  You know, corn pone!

1. profile image0
              houseazposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought he was missing a "y" kinda like iPony. Like an electronic pony or something...?

4. nanospeck profile image59
      nanospeckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I once sold out a sub-woofer system through my bu ray player hub.. how strange.. buy im not able to replicate the sales in amazon, inspiring ryan.. inspiring.. thanks for sharing.

5. profile image51
      vivianmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. waynet profile image69
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've pulled Ryan lol hahaha!

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

I like the way she says that age isn't a barrier, like I am using a zimmer frame... I prefer them a little younger!

1. waynet profile image69
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, ya just know that in reality it will be a nigerian bloke trying to use this age old scam out in the open on Hubpages forum....what a dummy!

2. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Well done Ryan....I've never sold any movies on demand and I've got a few movie reviews, might try adding a few things here and there....

I've sold quite recently a $309 Wacom tablet which earned me $12.30 which is the highest one time commission I've ever got, the rest is made up of books and other art products each month!

3. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago
  4. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

You just spurred me to check my amazon (i havent been checking stats last couple of days) - Im at 6.5% for the month right now - today a $700 sale went through!

Its good to hear about the 10% SUCCESS , Ive tried to sell the VOD movies and have never got one to go through yet.

The kindles/ebooks do have a commish now

1. profile image0

Thats great! I haven't managed the 6.5% threshold yet, but I working on a few hubs which will change that... as per my response to Mark.

A $700 sale is great news Sunforged! Out of interest, did you promote that product or was it a lucky sale?

And if you weren't promoting that product, are you now going to do so?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it was a targeted product - I often sell $200 items from the hub/series but on eBay not amazon

BUT - as its a large item, I came upon the niche for adsense returns (2-3 per click)I didnt expect to actually sell the items.

The same hub once sold a 2.5k item on ebay! which translated to about a week of .44+ per click across my entire epn (about doubling overall sales)

Im at 6.5% this month because I sold 18 items on June 1st alone - I wouldnt usually have reached this level in sales only halfway through the month ..I should probably target some smaller items to pad my percentage.

In general, I seem to get less and less unrelated sales - which is a bad thing - I used to enjoy seeing the wacky buys -but Ive been trying real hard to laser target for ebay sales

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

I have sold quite a few kindles - they get 10% - $48.90 a go.

I usually get 7-8% on the rest - trick is to sell lots of cheap crap then when you make a big sale you get the higher commission. lol

1. profile image0

Yeah that has just clicked for me (the cheap stuff)...

I nearly made the 6.5% threshold last month thanks to a load of pink floyd posters paying 10 cents a go!

I am now going to sell some more cheap posters so that occassional decent sale makes me a bit more real cash!

1. brettb profile image60
        brettbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes the cheap crap thing is key!

6. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

For me nothing was planned or optimized in the jargon. But it happened. 6.5% on a consistent basis on Amazon and (wow) .88 on ebay this month.)

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

wow - .88 per click on ebay! thats outstanding! and uncommon - your doing something really right!

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would rather take it as a fluke or a freak incident. But I pray my luck holds.(I have some real estate hubs! smile)
      Best Regards sunforged. Hows the Tigress?

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

SunSven .88 per click is amazing work. I hope it holds up for you!

9. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I did well for me on Amazon last month and got up to 7% because someone bought several items right near the beginning of the month.  Movie downloads would work well with book reviews too since books are often made into movies.  Will have to check that out. 

Mark, I think the commission on kindle sales recently changed to the regular commissions.

10. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I dont sell much of anything on Amazon, anyhow good job... smile

11. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

This is a real coincidence. I got my first two VOD purchases today as well. It must've been a day for sitting home and watching movies yesterday!

I don't mind the small purchases, either. They do mean you get up the percentage ranks faster, and that can't be bad. I have some hubs that are specifically on cheaper items just for that reason, even though the $0.20 commission seems hardly worth getting, I do get paid in other ways for the purchase :-)

I had a $1600 purchase last month, but unfortunately it was still in the 4% bracket as it was electronics (a large flatscreen TV), but I'm not complaining. It's the best I've had yet! Now if only I could get one of those a month, I'd be really chuffed.

12. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I've sold two movies on demand, and working on getting my library of some 300 movie reviews over here, but it takes a LOOOONG time. My biggest one-time commission was also on a Kindle, but the commission was 6.5%, my level for this month.

13. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I have sold several of a $650+ item which I have featured on several hubs.  I wish I knew which hub they were sold from and how many (if any) HP sold during their 40% share.  Is it still difficult to become an Ebay affiliate?  Although Amazon has a large variety of products, I still can't find the right ones for hubs I wish to publish. 

Kindlebooks?  There are 2 of my mystery stories sold on Kindlebooks but I get nothing from them.  Bummer!

1. darkside profile image63

What are your hubs about? What's the titles of two that you're not finding the right products for? I'll go looking for them.

I'd rather not say here on the forums, Darkside.  I figure the products to be quite lucrative if I can find them. At least related items are now!  Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it. 

Do you know the situation with new Ebay accounts?  Haven't they made it harder to become an affiliate if one doesn't have their own site?

1. darkside profile image63

I understand you wanting to be discrete.

So far no. I think since they implemented their new system it's too hard for them to get their heads around trying to approve a HubPages URL application.

I signed up when they went from Commission Junction (I think that's who they did their affiliate program before) to their inhouse one and my approval was quick and painless. Now though it's somewhat... impossible.

Hopefully if anyone ever does get approval they'll let everyone else know, especially HubPages HQ.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Randy, Darkside, yep a definite pain in the butt. I missed the boat by a couple of weeks when eBay decided to REALLY tighten the application process of who would be accepted into the affiliate network. I had this great blog, all nice and shiny, some traffic, applied for an ePn and.........nada. Got rejected once, tried again after a few more weeks and a bit more traffic. Again no joy.

Have not had any success with those two attempts and have not tried since. If anyone has had some recent success with joining the program, please let us know!

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I still can't figure out how you guys make it appear on the pages as I spend many hours scratching my head how its done! any one care to share?

Make what appear, Cecilia?  I don't understand what you are referring to!

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
          ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the blasted widgets.  I don't know where to paste the codes! sad

Are you referring to the Amazon capsules, Cecilia?

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you read the reply, Cecilia?  You can't use widgets on HubPages.  Forget all the stuff you read on the Amazon affiliates page, it only applies if you have your own website.

You have to use the Amazon capsules, then select products from the main Amazon.com website (not the affiliate site).

2. profile image0

You just insert the Amazon capsule and then insert the URL of the Amazon listing into the capsule in the relevant fields (1, 2, 3, 4 etc).

So if you want to sell this colgate toothpaste http://www.amazon.com/Colgate-Total-Mul … =8-1-spell

Then you simply copy and paste the page address into the capsule, and it should display it accordingly.

I always use the ISBM number, Ryan!  I didn't know the page address would do the same!

1. profile image0

Yep, the address does the same, that number is in the URL anyway..... I always find that the easiest method, somebody once gave me the heads up for that on here... glad that I could do the same for you smile

Many thanks Ryan!  This will simplify the process!

14. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Congrats Ryan! smile

15. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

U Rock... lmao

16. profile image0
    houseazposted 13 years ago

10% commission is fantastic!  I've not run across many networks paying 10% unless it was clickbank which is crazy saturated! Nice work!

Now the question is - how can you replicate that?

17. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

So cool Ryan.  as much affiliate marketing that I do i have never sold a dam thing at Amazon until now.

this discussion prompted me to check my Amazon earnins.  of course I thought they would be the same as usual, a big fat zero.  was I ever surprised to see 3.90 in commission.

My first Amazon commissions ever.

18. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Ryan, congrats and way to go!

I recently sold 2 kindle books and thought oh well no commission there but it seems I am wrong and out of the loop. They have not moved to the 'shipped' area and are not showing any earnings but they came in this month, quite recently actually. I am looking forward to seeing what kind of earnings they got smile

19. NathanSyckel profile image61
    NathanSyckelposted 13 years ago

This may be a little off topic. I think more people should promote the $1,000,000 products on Amazon. The commission is something like 40,000. I don't know who would buy a necklace that costs a cool million but Amazon sells it!

There are actually thousands of products on Amazon that cost $10,000+. I think I'm going to start promoting the high tickets items with my hubs!

1. profile image0

Hasn't worked for me, I tried Rolex watches and Caviar. We are in the midst of a global financial crisis remember!

If you ask me, I think that the way forward is concentrating on low-ticket items to get yourself pushed up through those thresholds.

Mark Knowles reaches 8%. If you do sell a big ticket item, then that 40,000 becomes 80,000 for him.

Who seriously spends $1m on an Amazon item though? You would have to be crazy, they have shops for that! For example, if you buy a Rolex from Amazon it is not from a licensed dealer.... you have some issues when it goes wrong, who do you hold accountable? The Rolex response will be "go to your licensed dealer".

If you buy a Rolex, your licensed dealer will often give you a yearly service for free. Amazon won't!

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

how would you pay for a $1M item?  My credit cards might need quite the bump up in the purchasing limit....

2. darkside profile image63

It wouldn't be an item sent by Amazon, it'd be a third party seller, which I'd assume would be a licensed dealer.

1. profile image0

Not neccessarily though Darkside, in fact the Rolex watches on Amazon.com seem to sell for more than 20% higher than the price guidelines set by Rolex themselves. My understanding is that licensed dealers / approved dealers have to adhere to their pricing structure. Sometimes they don't even have the physical item until they get a buyer.... they pop along to their local dealer and buy one when they recieve payment!

http://www.amazon.com/Rolex-Precision-S … amp;sr=8-1

Take that one for example, at no stage does he claim to be a Rolex approved dealer! That would be my primary worry...

Although... Mark Knowles did of course recently sell an expensive watch, I'm not saying that it is impossible...

20. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I've always looked at AdSense as throwing darts at a dartboard. I do fine with it, but I just don't get how to make $$$ from it other than getting organic traffic, having targeted ads and hoping for the best. At least with Amazon, I see a logic in how to sell the stuff. So far, I haven't targeted any "big ticket" items, but I found that I don't necessarily need to. I would say that a minimum of 75% of my Amazon sales are for products not even closely related to what I am selling. Prices for my non-related sales have ranged from $.99 (MP3 downloads with a 10.10% commission) up to $500.00 (some electronic thingees). As a matter of fact, I think I do as well as I do because my sales pitches are not intimidating, very soft-sell, informative, unbiased and for items usually under $50.

You manly guys out there might not understand this (us girls totally get it), but the whole point with Amazon is to target people who are focused on buying something--anything. Then all you really have to do is get their spending juices going, ease them into a click and voila! A sale (or two or three).

I might try to target some of those bigger ticket items soon. I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

21. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i am really pleased for you, you deserve it, thanks for sharing this piece of good news.,

22. salt profile image61
    saltposted 13 years ago

Congratulations!!!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)