Was the USA robbed?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (22 posts)
  1. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Was the USA robbed of that goal in last night's World Cup soccer match?
    It was a great game and they played well but I'm not sure about that disallowed goal near the end of the game?
    Any ideas anyone?

1. Donnacha C profile image71
      Donnacha Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes they were robbed most defenitely! For me Donovan`s goal is the goal of the tournament so far, and there was nothing wrong with their 3rd goal, if anything the Slovanian defenders were literally holding them down! It`s a shameful decesion and cannot help but wonder how this would help the hopelessly disfunctional English team to somehow advance from this group. Funny enough apart from England all other 3 teams are quiet exciting to watch.

travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There was some very exciting play.  I agree DC that in every replay I saw here the Slovanian defenders were holding several key USA players so they couldn't move. 

It was an outstanding goal!  I for one do not understand the decision at all.

Did the ref wind the game up early as well?  Seemed it from here but again I was watching it with a Vietnamese commentary.

2. ironking profile image57
      ironkingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the correct word is unlucky ( bad luck )

2. mrpopo profile image73
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

Tough call, it would seem that it was a legit goal. I haven't replayed it many times to decide.

Looking on the bright side of things, if the U.S. beat Algeria they qualify. If Slovenia beats England, they qualify second. If England beats Slovenia, it goes down to goal differentials to see whether England or the U.S. qualify first or second, but they still qualify.

Focus on the next match and make sure you beat Algeria.

3. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

I was listening to the commentary in Vietnamese (which I don't understand) so it was difficult to hear the experts opinion. 

They showed many replays here but I couldn't see anything wrong - not that I'm an expert by any means. smile smile

4. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

The US was ripped off! Of all the replays, differing camera angles of view, points of view, and sources of allegiance not one commentary can offer anything more than amazement that the third and most likely winning goal was disallowed. And all seem to agree the US should be firmly in control of the group.

5. weeyo profile image61
    weeyoposted 13 years ago

Sure they were robbed of that goal, but the truth is they were horrible in the first half, putting themselves in the position of having to come from behind.  I agree they just need to focus on the game wih Algeria.

6. readytoescape profile image60

It seemed he did cut time off the game, but the appearance was for an injury stoppage he did not allow time for the extra 3 minutes did elapse.

You cannot help but wonder given the abysmal officiating of the game if there is not some sort of collusion. However it appears the only beneficiary of such an act would be England whose play I will have to agree has been less than stellar.

Current Group Standings

Slovenia      1-1-0     pts 4      Goal Differential +1   

United States    0-2-0     pts 2     Goal Differential Zero

England        0-2-0     pts 2     Goal Differential Zero

Algeria        0-1-1     pts 1     Goal Differential –1

If the third US goal had been allowed, The US would be firmly in command of the Group and England would be tottering on elimination.

Standings as they should be with the Goal Awarded

United States    1-1-0     pts 4     Goal Differential +1

Slovenia      1-0-1     pts 3     Goal Differential Zero     

England        0-2-0     pts 2     Goal Differential -1

Algeria        0-1-1     pts 1     Goal Differential - 2

In the above scenario England would be forced to defeat Slovenia to advance and The US would advance under any scenario except a blow out loss (at least a 3 goal advantage) to Algeria and an English Slovenia draw.

WOW - impressive analysis.

I'm hoping for a New Zealand win tomorrow evening.  But we are the underdogs against the might of Italy so I think that our chances of winning are slim!

7. readytoescape profile image60

You may have a good chance Italy did not play that impressively in game 1

Well I'll be watching and hoping!

8. CYBERSUPE profile image62
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Just think just a couple weeks ago a Perfect Game was destroyed because of an Official BAD call and now this. What's Up ?

I'm not sure but it appears to me that USA was robbed of a win in this game!

Bad calls happen all too often and in many different codes.  Personally I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory, not that this is what you intimated.

9. readytoescape profile image60

FIFA says that they thrive on controversy, which is why they will not intervine. Clearly, as in other sports and sanctioning bodies there is an appeal process for such major errors, and this one is huge perhaps it should have been considered.

This one is bigger than the ticky tac Red Card to Klose that more than likely created the German Loss.

1. mrpopo profile image73
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The sport screams for video review and FIFA refuses it...

Why not take the advantage? That way you can prevent things like the disallowed U.S. goal, the really weak penalty on New Zealand or the second yellow on Kaka.

It would not hinder the sport in any way. It's just plain stubbornness for them to keep the sport traditional - at least that's their excuse. Ironically they come up increasingly more aerodynamic balls, and the player equipments are constantly improving. The sport is evolving with technology; why hinder it's progress?

Good luck vs Algeria, I'm rooting for the U.S. in that group

10. mrpopo profile image73
    mrpopoposted 13 years ago

I think the goalie Tim Howard sums it up best: "It was so up and down and obviously it ended up being a deciding factor, but at the end of the day it was just a referee’s call."

IRENE, SOUTH AFRICA(AP) —Tim Howard thinks outrage in the United States over a disallowed goal that cost the Americans a World Cup win over Slovenia is a sign how far soccer has come in the nation.

Word of how upset U.S. fans are is getting back to the team at Irene Country Lodge.

“Those types of things are starting to leak into our training camp. People are up in arms; they can’t believe the call. And that’s pretty cool,” the goalkeeper said.

“That’s special because most people who are soccer fans, that’s kind of like a small detail of that game. It was so up and down and obviously it ended up being a deciding factor, but at the end of the day it was just a referee’s call. And for people, particularly our American fans back home, to be so up in arms about it does show that: No. 1, they care, and No. 2, they are getting hip to the game and starting to understand how it all works.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=txwcupnotebook

11. profile image0
    selrachposted 13 years ago

USA must be the unluckiest team at the world cup.15minutes left to score a goal.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just building the suspense

12. climberjames profile image56
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

It doesnt matter, USA just won 1-0

13. profile image0
    selrachposted 13 years ago

WELL DONE USA

Thought the goal was never going to come.

14. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Personally, if I were the USA, I wouldn't worry so much about being robbed in soccer.

I'd ask germany back for our bail out money. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)