SON WHAT'S TO KNOW IF HE SHOULD BE THE ONE PAYING ALL THE TIME

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. etauntontv profile image58
    etauntontvposted 13 years ago

HEY MY SON IS 19 CAN'T HELP WITH RENT AT HOME BUT WANTS TO KNOW IF HE SHOULD PAY FOR HIS DATE ALL THE TIME?  THEY BOTH WORK

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Each situation is different, so my thought may not apply to everyone.
    My opinion is he should be able to pay for his living expenses, including his rent, first. If he can't then he shouldn't be spending anything on dating.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I threw my 19 year old out.  It wasn't mean or hostile, although it could have been, I just told him that he needed to be his own man. 

At 19, they are trapped between two desires, two states of being.  ONe is the child they have been for their entire lives.  It is a world they know.  It is safe, and it is easy.

The other is the world of being a man in an adult world.  This is the one they aspire to.  They have models on TV and movies.  They PRETEND to be one in their video games.  FANTASY is made up for them of male figures, or of sexualized female figures that they want to have (the kind of pleasure you get if you are an actual man).

They are still very young and their cognitive processes are still forming the final links.  They are capable, however, of taking care of themselves.  But they won't pick the harder path if they don't have to.  It is a human fact that we take the path of least resistence if possible.

Challening him, arguing with him, pleading with him doesn't work.  They come up with the most absurd, evasive, ludicrous arguments that defy reason (see cognitive processes above).  So, you have two choices.  Throw his ass out and trust that you raised him well, or coddle him and accept the abuse you get from the child-man who wields adult size and the capacity for adult-sized cruelty formed with a child mind.  The impulse for cruelty will be made worse as A) You keep having the "talks" with him, and B) in his own subconscious, and even conscious mind, he knows he is NOT getting it done.  As he loses respect for himself, he'll lash out more.

So, the tough love cliché is not a cliché at all, in my opnion, and I can back that up with annecdotal evidence of my own.  First, my son is now doing splendidly only a year later, with a full time job at a local auto dealership and total and complete abandonment of the surly, nasty attitude.  He comes over on weekends for dinner with his new girlfiend and is an absolute joy to be around.

Second, I've seen it happen with a relative's kid that I had to literally jam headfirst into a Navy recruiters office, misery and horrors galore, who is now four years later a fine sailor and has more confidence than I ever will.  He is very happy (and making money hand over fist).  And lastly, myself.  I left at 17 because I didn't want to deal with my old man.  I won't go into it, but suffice to say, a young man will find a way and get things handled when they have no choice. Just like every other human on the planet for 100 thousand years has. 

He doesn't want to stay.  He just doesn't want to leave either. So be strong for him, and send him out.  He will not end up homeless or whatever else you are afraid of.  Trust you raised him well, let him make a few mistakes (he'll probably sponge off friends and wear his welcome out in places for a while), and give him a chance to prove that he really is a man. Otherwise, you'll all be miserable.

Just my two cents.   Hope it helps.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I was going to say a lot of that. Thanks for filling in my blanks.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I just started typing and it all came out. LOL.  Something I've had to deal with a lot.  PLus, my kids have a few friends with 24 year old brothers living at home etc., eating hundreds of dollars of groceries, wanting to bring girlfriends over to spend the night like they are grown ups.  God.  It's revolting. It can ruin marriages and stuff.  Very sad.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A long time ago I read a very interesting article in Reader's Digest about how to make your  kid an adult at 18. It included such things as teaching them early how to  clean their rooms,do their own laundry and how to fry eggs for themselves. I think my boys were fairly well equipped to handle a few years of being on their own before they married. At least they KNEW what to do, even if they didn't always do it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)