amount of homework kids bring home from school

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (24 posts)
  1. dawnM profile image57
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

Is the amount of homework kids bring home really necessary, some days it can be up to two hours, what happend to them doing the work at school?

1. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Every parent notices this. It does get better in middle school and high school. I have no explanation for it. It was like school started after school or something when my son was little. Maybe someone who is in education can comment.

2. profile image0
      Jennifer Angelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes its the papers they didn't finish in class that they bring home for homework. It's disgusting. Kids should be able to do some of their homework in their home room classes before leaving for the day. The amount of work college prep elementary schools send home should be completed in thirty minutes, but usually takes four to six hours to complete.

I'm hoping 5th grade will not be such a pain!!

3. mistersilverio profile image58
      mistersilverioposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a teacher, I try to just give about 30-45 minutes of homework. I also make sure that it is just a short review of what was taught that day. A few problems to practice what they learned.

Children need to spend time with their family and friends. They need to explore the world and be kids. While I agree that homework should be short, I also believe that it should be done and parents should take the time to be part of their child's education. If your child can't do the few problems that are assigned, then it is time to have a talk with your child. Teach them responsibility of getting their work done and understanding of the importance of balancing life. Work a little, play a little, live a little....it's all about balance and learning responsibility.

If you are spending more than an hour helping your child with homework then there is a problem and it is time to speak with the teacher. Share your frustrations and find out why it is taking so long or why so much is being assigned.

4. profile image53
      mybacklinksformposted 13 years agoin reply to this

home works may be very hard some times... parents will help always... atleast twice in a week.

2. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

My kids brought home a ridiculous amount of homework.  My motivated youngest was doing as much as four hours a night.  Frankly, she will be relieved when she gets to college because it will be less tedious and fraught with make work.

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She shouldn't get her hopes up too high on that college homework.

3. mikicagle profile image82
    mikicagleposted 13 years ago

As a teacher I don't believe in giving much homework. I don't believe that children should spend all of their family time doing work from school.

1. profile image0
      Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I used to teach and I thoroughly agree with you.  Homework if given at all should be really limited - 20mins max.  They need the opportunity to rest their minds and enjoy family, friends and hobbies.

4. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Have your kindergartners brought home homework?  That's too much homework.  I remember when I was in elementary school we occasionally received extra credit work that we could take home to do...
    In middle school we had long term assignments in the form of homework.  In high school we were given many daily assignments as homework. 
    All of this was done in order to 'prepare' me for a job.

Since being an adult and having a string of jobs from cashiering to reception to management to self-employment - I've NEVER had to bring my work home!!

In my opinion, homework (before middle school) is a way of putting the teaching responsibility on the parents rather than the teachers who are paid to do the teaching.  It's a huge disadvantage to kids growing up in a single-parent home (a single parent has less time to devote to helping kids with homework after working 40 hours a week and maintaining a home and life not to mention how many other kids are in the home needing help with homework)

5. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I never gave out homework when I taught and I don't agree with it.  The teacher and student should cover what is needed in that day's lesson and have the assignment completed in class.  This allows the teacher to see which students are struggling, which have grasped the concept, who is doing the work and it also provides the opportunity for the student to ask questions. A social life and extracurricular activities after school and on weekends is required to teach the child skills that they would not obtain in a classroom setting.  When my children come home with 2+ hours of homework, I always ask myself "why didn't I just home school....."

1. Habby profile image61
      Habbyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a former teacher and now parent, I agree with you wholeheartedly. 

The only exception I would make would be if a student began an assignment in class, was given ample time to work on it but was unable to finish.  In that case I would ask the student to take home the work to complete it.

In general, I don't think it's wise to send home a completely new assignment that has never been addressed in class.  It does the student a disservice. And can possibly alienate the parent (as we see in this thread) who then serves in the role of educator.

6. dawnM profile image57
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

I agree with what everyone is saying that is why I am so confused with the public school system.  My daughter is in first grade and it is moderate, but my son get an enormouse amount of homework.  When the homework is not all done he gets bad reporsts on the report card.

7. jondav profile image69
    jondavposted 13 years ago

I believe under 10's shouldn't get homework. School is for learning, home is for everything else. Now my 6 yr old daughter loves school and it's her own little bit of independance - which im happy about - and when she comes home she'll either be playing (which i encourage), or reading of her own free will. If she want's do some school type stuff then i am happy to help her, but i wont force her to.

Give children too much to do and they wont actually learn anyway. That can wait till they mature a bit.

thats my 2c

8. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

I remember when my kids where in high school they had no time for anything but homework.

Now I have a grand daughter in kindergarten who is out of the house for seven hours a day. She has homework everyday. Don't you think being they are so young seven hours of school would be enough.

My neice who is in 10th grade spends her entire evening and most of the weekend doing homework. High school teachers seem to forget these kids have other subjects and homework from those classes.

Many children get discouraged by the homework and don't want to do it. When I work a full day and come home the last thing I want to do is anything work related.

9. mysterylady 89 profile image60
    mysterylady 89posted 13 years ago

Sometimes homework is necessary.  If an educator is teaching a book, for instance, students' reading rates vary.  Allowing class time for reading a story could range from 30 minutes to two hours.  Doesn't it seem more plausible for the students to read at home and spend the class time discussing the book?  Of course, this means homework time for that particular class could vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours

10. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

my son is in his last week of third grade in public school and STILL has 2 - 3 hours of homework per night.  I never did that much (even in college!)

To be fair, he is doing a lot more advanced work that I did in third grade, but still....

11. mysterylady 89 profile image60
    mysterylady 89posted 13 years ago

Two to three ours of homework for an elementary school student does seem excessive.  I agree.

12. mikicagle profile image82

I teach first grade and at my school students' grades can not be lowered due to them not returning their homework. Because learning to read in first grade is so important I do send home decodable readers for my students to practice reading to someone. That someone does not have to be a parent-many of my children read to their older siblings. I do keep all of my extra worksheets and have "practice" worksheets available for the kids to take home if they want to play "school.

Rafini-I don't agree with your statement that teachers are trying to put their responsibilities off on parents by assigning homework. I encourage you to visit any elementary school and see how much work the underpaid teacher is actually doing. In a perfect world a teacher would have a classroom filled with well prepared students who are eager to learn.  In reality classrooms today are filled with a variety of students with a variety of behaviors on a variety of different academic levels. I understand that you may feel tired after working 40 hours a week and have little time to devote to your child's homework-but in reality it is your responsibility to see that your children grow up to be an educated,productive member of society.

13. mikicagle profile image82

oops sorry for my error-I meant your child, not children

14. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I don't have children I only know what I went throught when I was in school. But I do remember that I was given quit a bit of homework. Throughout elementary and middle school. But we were given some time to complete it in school and I remember some kids would put it off and have to do it at home while others would get most of it done in school and finish it at home. I usually had to finish a little bit at home. So sometimes I think it is the child who does not take the opportunity to do homework on school time. But of course like I said that was then I'm sure some things have changed since then.

15. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 13 years ago

less homework-more living-education that makes sense during the day leads to an interest in one interests at night.

16. Prakash T profile image60
    Prakash Tposted 13 years ago

Are children doing homework for upto 2 hours?!! Really sad!! My daughter is just 22 months.. Im really worried that she has to do plenty of homework once she joins LKG..

17. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

As a mom of two polar opposite straight A students, I think a lot of homework depends on the kids.  My daughter is a self inflicted professional perfectionist & always has been - homework to her was all about get the best grade, the best everything.  My laid back son hates homework, does as much in class as possible and very little at home - in other words he really could care less about grades, yet everything comes so natural to him.  So I think a lot of it is dependent on the child.  My kids had the same teachers in several different grades.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)