Any suggestions for this Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)
  1. ADDHome profile image60
    ADDHomeposted 13 years ago

I would be interested in comments on my new hub.  Thank you!

An ADDer's Theory of Time

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting read.  I think you covered the topic well and succinctly.
      ( I posted a comment on your hub.)

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I found it well written and informative and also posted a comment.  The positives far outweigh the negatives.

On the negative side, I do not like large photos in the middle of a hub - unless there is a very good reason I will flush them to one side or perhaps post two smaller ones in the center side by side.

Your first link, I think, (about speed and drivers) did not seem to have anything to do with the hub and would probably not be of interest to anyone that has navigated to your hub to read it.  In addition, it is above your amazon capsule and if clicked will carry the reader away before he has even seen your ad. 

Keep 'em coming - that one was really well done.

ADDHomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, wilderness. And thanks to DzyMsLizzy too.

I have now changed the pictures and eliminated all links except the last one.  I may at some later time search for other articles that are better related and put them in a link capsule, but I'll leave the links alone for now.

Thanks for your help!

2. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

Time disappears for me.  I only recently have had acute ADD (I'm 51); the discovery that I have had milder undiagnosed symptoms all my life has been at once both a shock and a relief.  I used to just think I was being rude and impatient when other people insisted on finishing the sentences they had started, even though it was so obvious what they were going to say that I was compelled to jump in with the next point before we all fell asleep or something.

I had to train myself over and over to fight the boredom.  Homework was TORTURE (once I found out the answers, I couldn't be bothered writing them down; I mean, if it was so obvious, it didn't need to be written, did it?)  Luckily I lived in a town where it was impossible to go out at night, and there was nowhere to go, anyway.  Instead of die of boredom, I did my homework.

So years of training forces me to point out the obvious: "someone did mention to me that she had seen and heard on a Public Broadcasting System show that some scientists had studied the way ADDers perceive time"; well, about 2 seconds' worth of research via Google found no articles on ADD and time perception; however, another 2 seconds found these and more, all on ADHD:
    1.    Time Perception: Modality and Duration Effects in Attention ...
    by ME Toplak - 2005 - Cited by 21 - Related articles
    Oct 1, 2005 ... EJ725499 - Time Perception: Modality and Duration Effects in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
    www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/recordDet … o=EJ725499 - Similar
    2.    ADHD-Report.com
    Well, we already perceive that these people are not only having ... Nearly everyone will yawn at some time or another - maybe a lot more than twice a day .... "New book says SIDsufferers are really just artisans in a mechanic's ...
    www.adhd-report.com/adhd-exist.html - Cached - Similar
    3.    Cosmic Tea Party
    The latest in the ADHD story is that it might be related to how the person perceives time. Some studies have shown that sufferers might feel like time is ...
    www.cosmicteaparty.org/Episode15.htm - Cached
    4.    BBC - Science & Nature - Horizon
    At one time ADHD was considered to be a childhood condition. .... One sufferer said, "I no longer notice any particular restlessness or fidgeting, ... I'm acquiring a new perspective on how regular people perceive and manage time." ...
    www.bbc.co.uk › ... › Programmes › Horizon.

A clip from the show your friend saw would have been helpful, maybe? while I was thinking that, another 2 seconds took me to a write-up of the BBC radio program (4, above), and I read this:
    "Adults with ADHD get bored far more quickly than most other people, become easily distracted and forget what they were meant to be doing. At the same time they may have the ability to focus for hours at a time on a few things that they find particularly exciting. One person with ADHD became a successful acrobatic ski jumper, while others are good at sports, computer games or playing music for hours at a time. Despite the ability to focus on a few tasks other aspects of their lives can fall apart due to extreme lack of focus, short-lived interest and disorganisation" (from 4, above).
    Then I went to YouTube and typed in "PBS ADD ADHD" and found a whole list of videos and video clips.

But your thoughts were interesting; it's just that you asked what might help. 
    Hope this does.
    alla best,
    Teresa McGurk.

ADDHomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL - What you wrote about yourself sounds so familiar to me! We'll have to compare more notes sometime, Teresa.  (I was over fifty when I was diagnosed.)

I will look up the links you have suggested. The reason I didn't include more about what the (former) friend had mentioned about the show probably related more to my feelings about her than about the topic.  (Sorry!)  I'll try to set those feelings aside and do some more polishing on this one.

I think in my hubbing in general, so far, I start out with fairly disorganized thoughts, somewhat random, then when I go to get them in better shape for others to read, I end up taking more time on the rewrite than others might.... So I end up getting bored and ready to set it aside ASAP!... before I add everything that might help it out.

I probably need to find another process for writing that can include better research that won't distract me totally away from the writing process, and that will enhance the Hub.

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.

3. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

The main thing is you're writing -- and you're writing about such a great topic. 

I never realized how debilitating ADD could be until it hit me upside the head! 

Do you have any problems typing or writing?  I can't write my own name anymore, and the rest of the language isn't much better.  If I didn't write on computer, I would have to hand write in pencil so I could erase every other word and put the letters in the correct order.

But ya have to laugh, eh?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)