time travelling

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. saarahkhan profile image59
    saarahkhanposted 13 years ago

I want to know if time traveling is possible?I read an article on BBC site.It said that one may go back in past but can't change anything from the past.Where did this concept come from?

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to Einstein, time travel is possible. Acceding the speed of light is observed in galaxies furthest from our own, which suggests that they could, in theory, be breaking the time barrier, if that is what time is. Time is relative to your position, it passes different for someone in a moving vehicle, backing up my assertion that cars are merely slow moving time machines. They don't change space, but the time it takes to move from point A to point B. The time paradox is stated most simply, like this: If you went into the past and killed your father in his crib, then you wouldn't have been born, so, therefore, could not have traveled into the past to kill your father.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Einstein actually made that claim, but others have used his field equations to theorize such.

The galaxies themselves do not move faster than the speed of light, this is misleading. It is the space between galaxies that is expanding which is calculated together over great distances within our co-moving coordinate system. Space itself is a vacuum and does not violate the physical laws both matter and energy are bounded within the coordinate system.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhhh the old 'Grandfather Paradox' which is a popular theory in Sci-Fi film and novel fiction.

The Grandfather paradox relates to if you went back in time and killed (accidentally or on purpose) your grandfather before your father was born, you effectively cease the existence of your father, therefore yourself. To get around this, since you are still 'existing', you in fact create a parallel time line, therefore in THAT time line, you do not exist.

Then and this is what really bakes the cookies, would you indeed be still on your own timeline or a third timeline, if you were to return to your own future one pico-second after you left to go to the past (to kill your grandfather).

Its all theory and conjecture.

2. Evan Hutchinson profile image68
      Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish. I had a website that I made in 2005 get a quarter million hits with no adsense til 2008. I had forgotten it existed. I would go back and monetize it.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quantum Physics.  Which currently is disproving some of Newton's law of physics. 

But it has nothing to do with Metaphysics, Meditation, Astrology and everything to do with Quantum Physics.   

In Quantum Physics, they have proved that a person can be in two places at once, and that a person can be alive and dead at the same time.  Really mind blowing stuff.   

Einstein proved that as you approach the speed of light, time slows down.

What? Where did you hear that? Have you got a link? 

What? Where did you hear that? 

He did not prove that, he theorized that with Special Relativity using Maxwell's equations. If it is you who is traveling at near light speeds, your clock appears to be ticking normally while it is the clocks you would observe that are not moving at those speeds slows down.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image69

All fascinating stuff if you ask me.  Currently the University of Missouri is leading the industry in this research.  Go Mizzou!!!

Yes, they are doing research and publishing their work, but not anything remotely near to your claims. smile

Yes they are.

No, they're not. I checked, you obviously didn't. You're free to produce the correct links here if you wish. smile

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

John Glenn division of NASA here in Cleveland Ohio is working on the project of breaking the speed-of-light barrier and perhaps with it, the key to time travel - or not. Thus far, data is that speed of light can increase. Check out sites  obscure.org/physics-faq and astro.ucla.edu for more changes to that constant.

Cheers.

What? I would be very suspect about a claim like that from NASA. Do you have a link? I could find nothing on it.

I saw nothing in those links that supports that claim. Can you be more specific, please? smile

2. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they manage to achieve that, then first thing these scientist will discover is speeding the flow of electrons (which is current barrier for developing highest possible speed for any processor to speed say 4ghz or 5ghz which no commercial processor company achieved yet). If speed of light can be increased then surely the processors can gain performance boost as well. Okay my point was, giving boost to light and boosting flow of electrons both are quite related.

2. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9063/backtothefutureh.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The very first time travel machine was created in the 80's, a senior scientist and his apprentice designed a car but since then the technology has come on leaps and bounds.. Trouble is the government is charging a large fortune for anyone who requires this ability.

1. saarahkhan profile image59
      saarahkhanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha ha.veryy funny...but i was serious.

3. saarahkhan profile image59
    saarahkhanposted 13 years ago

It is said that time doesnt come or go.meaning the past and future are always there,with the present.we can switch to any time.Its like a long road.when you are walking on it u cant see it much further but it does nt mean that it is not there.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I need more garbage for the Flux Capacitor! It's never gone, and it never arrives. That is the signature of mr favorite artist! Icall him The Big Guy, and he LOVES circles and contradictions!

4. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

This is just hypothesis. There is no proof for this theoretical assumption.

Really?  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 085422.htm  Feel free to scan the entire website.  On a daily basis, they are proving theories to be facts. 

Just saying..........

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you mind telling me how this link of yours is in anyway related with your claim of :

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Michael Crichton wrote Timeline back in the 1990's which involves quataum physics and time travel. It's one of my favorites written by him. He also had a background in the medical sciences having graduated from Harvard Medical School.

I did not know he graduated from medical school.  I thought he was a lawyer for some reason.  Huh.  Well good for him.  Did he ever practice?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not certain, but I don't believe so as he started writing while in medical school (Andromeda Strain). after he graduated, he was involved in a fellowship study at Jonas Salk Institute for Biology. So many of his books are in some way related to science. It was sad when he died, such a remarkable man. at least we have his books and his many essays. http://www.michaelcrichton.net/aboutmic … raphy.html

[IE, I used to live in Columbia many years ago, for 3 years. I loved it! such an intellectual, fun community. we were neighbors with one of the professors from the university.]

How cool!!smile

6. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Dunno, but how we enjoyed the back to the future movies!
    Thanks Ron Howard

But seriously, it may be possible. No, it is possible. No, it is sure as hell possible.  Read up Time Dilation please

Know it well, thanks. Doesn't help, though. smile

1. thirdmillenium profile image61
        thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, you look exactly like Einstein, and you are in doubt!?

In doubt about what? smile

7. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Time is not linear. It's all happening at the same time. It's just that our minds have learned to look at it as past, present, and future. We don't know how to use our brains to its full capacity, but if we could we would see that everything that we consider our reality in nothing but an illusion.

8. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 13 years ago

I know this is reaching but they, being certain secret govt. officials around the world say, and these abductions by aliens say the aliens are doing it. It makes some sense if ExtraTerrestrials can travel at 5,000 miles per second according to some comm'l and military pilots.
    Why not? if they can get here and we can't get to their universe, why wouldn't they know and use quantum physics.

---Mulder

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)