What Parental Phrase or Excuse Ticked You Off Most as a Kid?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

What I really, really, hated, upon being told no, I could not do something, was to get a reply of "Just because" or "Because I said so!"

Man, that really galled me!  I thought I deserved to know the reason behind the decision--safety?  money issues? age? 

I would argue that "because" is not a reason--a reason is an explanation.  "Because" is a brush-off.

As a direct result, I've never outgrown the "why?" stage.  If there  is a rule or regulation that I find unreasonable, or arbitrary, I will do my best to get to the origin, and find out the "why's and  wherefore's."

A few years back, I got into a circular argument with a city agency over building permits.  A certain requirement was being made for our project, and I did not find it a reasonable demand for our situation.  I asked to have the reason behind the rule.  The resulting conversation went something like this:

Me:  Why is this requirement in place?
    City:  Because it's in the code.

M:  I understand that, but why is it in the code?  What is the reason it was included?
    C:  We have to apply the law.

M: Yes, but I am trying to find the reasoning behind the law, and the justification for this requirement.
    C:  It's in the building code.

M:  Yes, you've said that at least 6 times, but you have not explained the reason for its inclusion in the code.
    C:  It's just part of the City laws.

M:  (getting irritated) Well, WHO put that rule in the code?  WHY is it there?
    C:  Because we just have to apply the laws.

At this point, I had to leave before I leapt across the counter and throttled the woman!  If you don't know the answer, say so!  Don't just stand there repeating yourself with the same non-answer!

(This was a truncated example--the actual exchange went on for nearly 10 minutes!)

I do not take kindly to getting the brush-off.  These days, if somone throws that "just because" at me, they'll be very lucky if I don't backhand them a good one! wink

2. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

My father (otherwise "best father in the world") would really irk/steam me with one thing:

He'd make some point, and I, believing I had a right to make my own very valid point, would start to (politely) point out what "holes" I saw in his point by saying, "Yeah, but...".  He wouldn't let me make my valid point (which, would have pointed out those very real holes in what he said).  Instead, he's interrupt what I was going to say (again, politely and respectfully) with, "Yehbut?  What's Yehbut?!  There's no such word as 'yehbut'!"  That would end the conversation, and he thought he was "real smart" by ending any debate from me.  To me, he was rudely interrupting what was going to be a good (even if brief) debate about a point). 

He used to, on the one hand, act like he enjoyed that "could argue like a Philadelphia lawyer".  On the other hand, he wouldn't let me "debate" the points I knew had holes in them at all.   How rude!  How un-encouraging!  How disrespectful!!   mad  mad   mad  ("otherwise-best-father-in-the-world" or not!)   

(Based on your post, OP, it looks like too many parents don't seem to want to encourage true, two-way, communication - and I'd bet they're all the first to say, "I want my kid to be honest with me."   mad   mad  lol)

3. LaMamaLoli profile image61
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

My dad used to say "do what I say, not what I do" aaaaaaggggghhh! used to drive me NUTS!

4. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

If I ever compained to my mother about something being unfair, she would just calmly say 'what's not fair, it's not raining?'

Or the other great annoyance were statements starting with 'When you are older ........'

5. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

Asking Mom if I could do something she would say ...we will see. I knew right then it was going to be NO. I would argue with her and say you really mean no and she would just keep saying we will see it was so annoying. I was always right it meant NO.

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's so funny--with MY mom, it was always the other way around, lol.  Like she just couldn't stand to say yes to me, for some reason, haha. big_smile

But the thing she said that got to me the most was "You won't stick with it", when I wanted to join the band, play on a softball team, etc.  Obviously, it bothered me the most, since it's been more than 30 years since I lived at home! big_smile:

But, I'm over it now......really...lol

6. wychic profile image83
    wychicposted 13 years ago

"Because I said so" was also the very worst for me, and as a result I've tried very hard not to use it with my son...but have slipped once or twice. My daughter will be born in November and I'll try REALLY hard not to use it with her, but my husband informs me that his oldest daughter could reason her way through things as well as any lawyer by the age of four, so this could be a challenge if the baby follows in her footsteps tongue.

The other one I really hated was that if my mom told me anything and I started to reply at all -- it didn't matter what the reply was -- she'd tell me not to back talk and that if I opened my mouth again I'd be in trouble. Is it so horrible to ask if I can go to the bathroom before going out to split three wheelbarrow-fulls of wood?

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

My mother always compare theirs with our time, she always say, you're lucky these days, we didn't even have these and that, etc. To my mind, I am like saying it is not my fault... in my mind but I can't really answer back hehe..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)