Muslim and Islamist----What's the difference?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

I wanted to try to pin down some actual FACTS about this subject, but my ability to do research is limited 'cause I'm pretty much homebound right now....and in looking online, the info I find there is very confusing.

There are definitions of "Muslim" and "Islam" that seem to be the same, like on Wikipedia,  but then there are definitions of "Muslim" being the same as a "member of the Nation of Islam" (which is, according to what I found, simply a vengeful "black liberation" theology group!)

Is there a difference between the two?
    And if so, what are those differences?

Opinions are welcome.
    Facts are even moreso welcome.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Islam word literally means submission...Islam is religion which believes in god (which they call allah) and its prophets..they consider jesus christ to be one of their prophets..while muhammad being the last in lineage of prophets... muslim is one which believes in allah as being god and muhammad as being its messenger..their main book is quran while they have references like hadith...

2. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In asia followers of islam are known as - Muhammadian, Musalman (muslim), islami. There is no difference in it. But islamics have some code to identify true muslim.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So....what, then, constitutes a "true" Muslim"?  Do you mean that true Muslims are Islamists?

So where does that leave the people who claim to be Muslims, but are against the dress requirements and other requirements of Sharia Law?
        ...I'm assuming they wouldn't be "true" Muslims, correct?

1. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not correct

2. profile image51

Dress reqirements should be observed but is not among the essentials of a Muslim; one would still be a Muslim

2. profile image51

No correct

1. skyfire profile image79

Paar, i'm talking about some people nearby who claim about being "saccha muslim" and all that part. For that they have some of their codes. I'm sure you're aware of them because you know indo-pak region for this religion.

1. profile image51

I understand

3. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A more literal translation of Islam would be its root word salam (peace) but figuratively it means submit to the will of God.
      Muslim means one who submits to the will of God.

When I was in Saudi, it was explained to me  that it has similar meanings as in Christian Beliefe.  The Kingdom of God, thats Islam where a Muslum is a member of the Kingdom. Like The body of Christ is his Church and a believer is a Christian, (a member of the Body-Church);  Like that.

Thats all I know about it, hope it helps.

I do know that the above over simplfies it, because they have various sects, views etc just like we do in the US with Baptist, Methodist, Chrch of Christ, Catholic, Morman. on and on and on....they do the same and just as us, they  get very indignant as to which view is closest to God. And who is a member of what.

A Humanised pasionite mess I think.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

I believe a Muslim is simply a follower of Islam.

But, I could be wrong.

no you are absolutely right...

1. profile image0

I cannot find where the word "Islam" was first used.

you can't ..because according to muslim..islam was religion of adam..first religion of the world..

1. profile image0

If they believe that's true, then...there should be some historical reference of the word "Islam" to show a basis for it, correct?

logically yes...The word Islam is a verbal noun originating from the triliteral root s-l-m, and is derived from the Arabic verb Aslama, which means "to accept, surrender or submit." as stated in wikipedia...

2. profile image51

1.Islam means 'submission' to the Creator - God Allah YHWH or to be in 'peace' with the attributes of the Creator - God Allah YHWH ; and with His commandments.

2.Muslim or Islam as a terminology is used for Muslims from the time of Muhammad.

Adam, Abraham, Moses, David, Jacob and Jesus were Muslims in the first sense mentioned above. It is more of a 'generic' sense.

2. profile image51

No, you are right. We call ourselves Muslims; but there are people who for their own reasons ( of course they are not Muslims, in my opinion) don't want to call us by this name and they prefer to call us Islamists.

1. profile image0

Wait a minute please.

So...you're a Muslim but not an Islamist?
        But you just said previously that a Muslim IS an Islamist....

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

But who first coined the word?
    Who first made it into the "religion" that it is?
    Or, if it's a "culture" or "Nation", how did that first originate?

now that is what paar can answer...it is like who coined god word?..now i dont know..i merely know it is used by most all across globe...

1. profile image0

I see.
        So its basis is obscure?
        Comparably, since you mentioned "god" (God), it is the Bible from which we get the term "Christian", so we know the origin of that, and that's not obscure.

Go Google "Nation of Islam", if you will, and tell me what you see.

lol...thats crazy...nation of lslam and islam are two different things...i m sure muslims reject this nation of islam...yes muslims believe christ would be back with mahdi...but they need dajjal too to fit the equation...

1. profile image0

So...if that particular "Nation of Islam" is false,
            what about the Nations where Islam is the actual State religion, where laws of the land are strictly Islamic?
            In other words, in those cases, doesn't Islam become a "culture" or a Nationality instead of just a "religion"?

important point...now first let us see two different things one by one...Muslims believe what is written in quran...and quran states that christ, mahdi thing...there are many who have tried to use this claim ..most successful can be said to be ghulam shaab whose sect paarsurrey belongs to...but largely muslims are still waiting  ,like christians are waiting for return of christ or hindus are waiting for kalgi avatar..so that makes nation of lslam false...

Islam has set of laws to govern society and state..they believe they are divine laws ...they call it sharia...so islamic nation means either they have laws derived from islam or laws which are not in violation with islam or sharia being implemented as it is...do islam become one nation..well if that could have been the case arab world would have been one...which when islam expanded was the case..but now it is not there and highly unlikely to be one...

1. profile image51

I would like to make certain corrections:

1. The name of the Promised Messiah or Imam Mahdi 1835-1908 is Mirza Ghulam Ahmad.

'Hazrat' or 'shaab' or 'Sahib' are titles of respect in vogue in India, Pakistan; not part of his name.

2.Quran us is the first source of guidance of Muslims; whatever the denomination. Its text in Arabic original is the same ; with absolute no change in any part of the world; often when a translation is provided (which is never thought to be perfect and is not an alternative of the original in Arabic); text in Arabic is also given, so that if there is any doubt about the translation, one could refer the original text in Arabic, conveniently.

Thanks

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

No difference in what they read and take as the only truth.

Qur’an 5:72 “They are surely infidels who say; ‘God is the Christ, the Messiah, the son of Mary.

See! Just as tolerant as christians! lol lol lol

5. FranyaBlue profile image75
    FranyaBlueposted 13 years ago

I think the difference is that an Islamist can be a Muslim by faith but essentially they are those Muslims who push the Islamic political agenda within the world as opposed to simply being a Muslim within the world.

I don't think it's a term that has been used for very long, although I could be wrong.

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I'm sure that this code for true muslim will vary from geographical location and extreme religious belief. Here is what i have collected so far - True muslim visits holy place at least once in life, follows religious traditions without fail, never speak/write lie(even if it comes to death), Attempts to keep peace even in the conflicts with other religion.

But i could be wrong because there is huge difference between muslim in asia and other staunch islamic countries.

1. profile image0

Okay...so...this is what I'm trying to pin down----there ARE "Islamic countries" as you said, correct?

1. skyfire profile image79

Yes, there are.

2. profile image51

Religions have no boundries; so it is not correct to label countries like such.

1. profile image0

Seems to me that Islam isn't just a "religion";  seems to me it's a "culture" and a form of government!
          So what do you say to that?

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
            dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, I believe you have it spot on.

2. profile image51

Islam is a path/way to the Creator-God Allah YHWH; you can see it from its first chapter which is a summary of the Quran:

[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
            [1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
            [1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,
            [1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
            [1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
            [1:6] Guide us in the right path —
            [1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … r.php?ch=1

3. profile image51

Islam is a religion also as mentioned in the following verse of Quran:

[5:4] Forbidden to you is the flesh of an animal which dies of itself, and blood and the flesh of swine; and that on which is invoked the name of one other than Allah; and that which has been strangled; and that beaten to death; and that killed by a fall; and that which has been gored to death; and that of which a wild animal has eaten, except that which you have properly slaughtered; and that which has been slaughtered at an altar. And forbidden is also that you seek to know your lot by the divining arrows. That is an act of disobedience. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of harming your religion. So fear them not, but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you and completed My favour upon you and have chosen for you Islam as religion. But whoso is forced by hunger, without being wilfully inclined to sin, then, surely, Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … mp;verse=0

4. profile image51

Muslims can and they do live in all parts of the world; they must be a peaceful member of the region or the country they live in, faithful to the state they live in the Temporal realm; while following Quran/Islam/Muhammad in their private lifes in moral spiritual realms.

Muslims could be from any culture and or may be or may not be the part of the govenrment if elected as per the constitution of the country they live in.

Thanks

1. profile image0

Okay. So there are some "Muslim" countries that don't HAVE to abide by Sharia Law, correct?

hmm.
              What about those that do?
              Isn't the penalty for adultery....death?
              Isn't the penalty for homosexuality...death?

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
                Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The last I heard it is not only the Koran that condemns adultery or homosexuality. I am quite familiar with the word 'Sodom and Gomorrah' 

The difference between 'Muslim' and 'Islam' lies in the Western dictionary. The latter identifying the 'actors' and the former; the 'act.'

1. profile image0

Ah!  But modern Christianity in America doesn't impose the letter of the Law against immorality, while Sharia Law does.

7. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

Actually, sodomy in this nation is still illegal, though such laws are not enforced...

But "America is a Christian nation" Brenda would probably want to change things......

As long as it is a Christian theocracy Brenda doesn't care.....

And what of those homosexuals that you are "close to"?

Have you called them perverts to their faces yet, or do you simply live in the world of anonymous backstabbing?

Where is Jesus?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)