My blog is getting a lot of spam comments...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 13 years ago

Not here in HP, it's this blog of mine. It's getting a lot of spam comments about traffic and how to earn money online. And I'm not writing about this stuff!

How do I get rid of them permanently? and also, how did they find me? One even went so far as to ask why I deleted his / her post. *sigh*

1. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are aware perhaps of the power of your words in your blogs emie... i have a lot of spam comments too with our websites. Dont worry just edit the comments and get rid of the links of the comments or even get rid all of em...
      These spammers uses robots or bots and once your blogs have tags that appears to be their targets expect spam comments to appear in your blogs.

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Snap!  I want to know the answer to this question too - if there isn't one, then I'm going to have to disable the comments feature altogether.

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Is it a wordpress site? Blogger? What platform?

With wordpress there are lots of plugins you can use to make people type captchas or weed out spam.

On blogger you can make it mandatory to check posts as well as only allow people with accounts to post...

Many of these are automated to just crawl the internet and post randomly.

And the message about "Why did you delete my post" is actually just an automated message. It's just another way to make the post look 'real' so you'll leave it as an actual comment.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exracturally smile

Lood Guck Em hmm

2. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's in a wordpress site. I'll look for a plugin. I'm beginning to hate these comments. It's like out of 50, 33 of those are spam comments hmm

1. Benjimester profile image88
        Benjimesterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you're on an active blog, the spam will only get worse.  For Wordpress, Wrylit is right, captcha is the way to go.  I used to get 2-3 spam comments a day.  The captcha shut em down for good.

4. Jenna May Swan profile image57
    Jenna May Swanposted 13 years ago

Try installing akismet if its wordpress - it picks up most of the spam before you even see it.

1. emievil profile image67
      emievilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Will try that. Thanks Jenna.

1. Jenna May Swan profile image57
        Jenna May Swanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No worries - I've always found it works well, good luck!

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Done!  Cheers.

3. GeneralHowitzer profile image67
      GeneralHowitzerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeah try akismet emie we use this with our sites...

5. TerryGl profile image56
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

The only plug in you need is - SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam - and if you go to your plug ins tab, add new, put this in the search bar and install it. You will only see the captcha box when your logged out.

There are quite a few programs around at the moment that scrape wp blogs to post spam comments. Many bloggers leave auto approve on and hence these programs work well for huge backlinks. The program is looking for no captcha's and this is why your getting spam comments.

Once you have a captcha in place, these bots will bounce off your site taking their comments with it. (For anyone interested search for - scrapebox - $50 one time payment and just download huge lists of sites already found to be on auto approve and high page rank. The program also mines the net for wp blogs to spam).

You will see an immediate improvement. Akismet will hold the spam comments in the folder where you have to delete those spam comments. With captcha on, you won't get comments from the bot programs.

Also be aware of track backs. It is an old trick to write a post and put in the url of a dot gov or dot edu site in the track back. Many track backs sneak through if your not vigilant, however Akismet does often catch them. (There's a hint for you black hat backlinkers).

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Done again - thanks.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

thanks for this info.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)