What is heaven really like?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ShaunLindberghposted 13 years ago

We hear a huge amount about avoiding hell but what is heaven like?  I can see why I shouldn't want to go to hell but please answer this;
                  Why should I want to go to heaven?

And please don't come with all the canned sermonnettes, I am sure we have heard them all before.

How about something original would be great.

1. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The biblical concept of heaven is really not a desirable place to spend eternity.

Why would I want to sit around, for eternity, watching all of these weird beasts, along with resurrected christians, slavishly, worshipping their insane God concept. 

Of course, I don't desire to worship anyone or anything.
      So if my eternal life is spent in continous worship, it would become unbearable after about 2 days.  I would go insane.

2. profile image0
      swordofgideonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it will be like nothing no one has ever experienced before,no hunger, no thirst,no pain,no hate,no envy,lust,where their is the master their is no need.shalom

3. nikmaya62 profile image61
      nikmaya62posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everything you want will be Fulfilled. Happy 4ever,,, Never end.

2. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Heaven is like one becomes successful in attaining the purpose of life as destined by the Creator-God Allah YHWH as a reward.

One who does not accomplish it is in the Hell; a concept of torment of failure .

3. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

On August 1, 1982 A.D. a Sunday morning GOD shown me in a vision the other side of death and heaven is glorious. It will be different for everybody because it is a place that is specially prepared for the people that does go there depending upon the quality of life that they lived on the earth. As for me personally I caught a sight of what is awaiting for me there. GOD will also create a new heaven and a new earth and I will mainly live on the new earth and the new heaven will be my headquarters where I can go and live and enjoy between my going back and forth between the two as I go about fulfilling my responsibilities in ruling over the new created earth. Thank you. Go in peace.

4. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

John was shown what heaven will look like. John says that he saw the Holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, Prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

He hard a loud voice from the throne saying, Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people and God himself will be with them and be their God. He wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Rev. 21 : 3, 4

He seen someone sitting on a Throne and that person stated “I am making everything new!”

I am the Alpha and the Omega, “The Beginning and the End. To Him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this and I will be his God and he will be my Son. But the cowardly the unbelieving the vile the murders the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. Rev. 21 : 5 - 8

There were seven angels in John's Vision holding seven bowls full of the last plagues. One of the Angels came up to John in his Vision and said “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the lamb".

Then the Angel carried John away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high and showed John the holy city. He says it was shown with the glory of God, its brillance was like of a very precous jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. It had a great high wall with twelve angels at the gates On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribles of Israel.

There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west..

The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on there were the names of twelve apostles of the Lamb.

The angel who talked with John had a measuring rod of Pure gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls.

The city was laid out like a square as long as it was wide. He measured the City with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length and as wide and high as it was long.

Stadia - is an acre.

So Zion or New Jerusalam or Heaven is 12,000 acres long and 12,000 acres Wide and 12,000 acres High.

He measured the wall and it was 144 cubits thick, by mans measurement, which the angel was using.

A Cubit is about 17 to 22 in. long. From the tip of the middle finger to the elbow.

The wall was made of Jasper, Which is like Crystall so clear you can see through it.

The wall was also made from Pure God, as pure as Glass.

So the Walls of heaven are so clear you can see through them.

The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious Stone. The First foundation being Jasper, the Secound Saphire, the third chalcedony., the forth Emerald, The fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysalides, the eighth beryl, The ninth was topaz , the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh was jacinth, the twelth was amethyst.

Their were twelve gates each gate was made out of a single pearl. The city street was made from pure gold Like transparent glass

John says he did not see a Temple in the city because the Lord God Almighty and the lamb are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, nad the Lamb is its lamp.

The nations will walk by its light and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. On no day will its gates ever shut for there will be no night there. The glory and honor of the nations will brought into Nothing impure will ever enter nor will anyone who what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose name are written in the Lambs book of life.

Then the angel showed John the river of life, it was clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamn will be in the city, and his servents wil lserve him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun. For The Lord will give them light. then they will reign for ever and ever.

Corinthians 2:9, “Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love Him." 

In heaven we will be given new names, new imperishable bodies. and we will be clothed in the white robes of righteousness.(I Corinthians 15:52; 1 Peter 2:5; Revelation 3:12).

1. profile image0
      AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing this with us.

1. libby101a profile image61
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are most welcome! Have a great day!!

2. getitrite profile image72
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I seriously can't see any reason why anyone should desire to go to such a place--for eternity. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/demonferret/Emoticons/r4_shok0002.gif

It also sounds very materialistic.  Please tell me heaven is better than that.

Think about it.

1. hanging out profile image61
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

think about the other option
        lol
        no i jest (sorta)

WE don't get to live in heaven. We get a new earth.
        If you can imagine beelzedads world the way he wants it and add eternal living to that, plus no need to build big cities. limited amount of people although should be billion(s)(guessing there). No need for cars to travel with or perhaps they will be solar powered, the animals are friendly. Beyond that i know not for sure. I will be swimming and tanning and petting whales.

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

won' that be a nice fantasy - never getting sunburnt, never getting bitten by an animal, just lazing around getting massages etc - kind of like a health spa

2. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sounds very materialistic for bible times actually - describing a palace back in bible times - gold gates, jewels everywhere.  Now it just sounds wierd

5. b. Malin profile image68
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

I think Heaven would be a Happy Place...to reconnect with loved ones past...no worries...maybe someone like a "Jerry Steinfeld" type telling jokes....a fun place to enter!  Hell on the other hand, hopefully contains all the bad, and never the two shall meet again!

6. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

In heaven there is no beer,
    that's why we like it here.
    And when we're gone from here,
    all our friends will be drinking all the beer! smile

beer evaporates at 200F lol

just funnin

7. Woman Of Courage profile image61
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Heaven is a glorious and magnificent place. Halleluyah!!

8. profile image51

Heaven is like one becomes successful in attaining the purpose of life as destined by the Creator-God Allah YHWH as a reward.

One who does not accomplish it is in the Hell; a concept of torment of failure .

9. xobliam profile image60
    xobliamposted 13 years ago

Some monks live completely ascetic lifestyles. They deny themselves all forms of earthly pleasures in order to feel the pleasure of the oneness with all being.

Monks who achieve the highest levels of purification claim to have reached nearly heaven on earth.

The rest of us watch their story on the history channel and come to forums like this hoping to find the holy grail that will lead us to the eternal flame.

I personally think it's under the golden arches at MacDonald's but I do not know which one and can't afford to travel to all of them.

Meanwhile religions fight over who has the key to the upper house of lards and millions die in the Gazi warrior wars....

paarsurrey might be on to something when he says a concept of torment of failure is Hell.

Look around this forum and the world for that matter. Every one as a program to drive us away from failure yet we seem to be failing anyways and...............well....this world is Hell for most of us who have not stop chasing the holy dollar.

Why should you want to go to heaven ?

Well I don't think you have a Monk in you ready to purify himself in this lifetime in order to feel Heaven on Earth so why worry about it. Eternity is a long journey and some people believe we just keep rebirthing until we get it right.

I'd hate to be the reincarnation of Hitler......

Well that statement of yours may have sent hundreds to hell.

thank goodness there is no reincarnation. he won't be doin that again.
      This is another reason i think knowing past people from earths life will be problematic. What if a woman cannot find her son in heaven Or a husband a wife, will he be alone since there are no new marriages in heaven while all the rest of his friends stand around with their wives.

behold he makes all things new!
      because he has to.
      Its serious stuff living here on earth.

10. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

According to Edgar Cayce "All you may know of heaven or hell is within your own self."

yay edgar roll

11. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3934676.jpg

1. profile image0
      AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Boo. Halloween is just around the corner. Hard to resist, just a little humor there to lighten up the atmosphere with this forum.

2. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Holy cow, Steven, have you been to the "Let's terrorize helpless little animals" website today or what? 

The look of fear and terror in the eyes of any living thing, animal or human chills me right down to the bone.  That sensitivity is my greatest weakness.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, actually i got off photobucket and google.  not that i would ever use that pics google in a hub, as i just kept it since i thought the kitty looked cute.  i'm sorry again.  i don't mean to make you sad or come off a jerk or something. i was just messing around with photos, since this is the first time I ever been able to post in forums before.

12. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I imagine it would be something like this...

http://www.weei.com/sites/default/files/pictures/bruins/Crosby_Sidney%20Olympic%20goal.jpg

13. profile image0
    ShaunLindberghposted 13 years ago

Thanks for all the answers! I've read all the posts so far and I've got one more question for the Christians especially but it's worth thinking about for anyone;

Surely, if heaven really is for eternity and hell is the alternative, isn't it worth checking to make sure you are DEFINITELY, ABSOLUTELY (I mean as best you can, absolutely) right about the destination?

I mean how many times have you ended up in the wrong place because you didn't read the sign post correctly?

It's not like you are going to land up in gangland where you can hotfoot it out of there. Heaven and hell are for keeps, if the bible is right.

So last question. What are you doing to make ABSOLUTELY sure you don't end up in the wrong place? I mean some of the Pharisees are in for a nasty shock, aren't they? 

The Bereans at least had the savvy to examine what Paul said to make sure it was true (Acts 17:11)

14. profile image51

Heaven is like one becomes successful in attaining the purpose of life as destined by the Creator-God Allah YHWH as a reward; and is able to join the activities of the new life happily.

One who does not accomplish it is in the Hell; a concept of torment of failure . One did not train oneself sufficiently for the new life and might need some training to join others.

15. flinchwymer profile image60
    flinchwymerposted 13 years ago

Change the record paarsurrey, for Creator-God's sake YHWH. I've been told that all that gets to heaven is the soul of the deceased. Does it have eyes and a brain and a body to actually experience what heaven's like? Or what about an aborted foetus? What will he or she make of heaven? Sorry, nearly forgot - YHWH.

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When one dies; the body remains here and the soul is released; a new spirit is born within it; as if the previous soul has become body and the new spirit becomes soul.

The accountability starts when one becomes mature enough to know good from the evil.

The children and infants go to heaven; they are innocents.

16. profile image0
    Jasmine JellyBabyposted 13 years ago

A place where there's no sex or beer sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)