Blackberry? or iPhone? Which one to own and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Joelle Burnette profile image71
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

Put forth your strongest case for owning (or not owning) one or the other...a Blackberry or an iPhone.

1. Truth_Teller profile image59
      Truth_Tellerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try a Palm.  You won't want either of them.

2. tim-tim profile image71
    tim-timposted 14 years ago

I don't haveeither but my son has an IPhone. It is cool! As far as the Blackberry, it is more for business people. I think it is easy to email others, keep calendar, etc. I plan on getting the IPhone in March when my contract ends with Sprint. Can't wait..

3. WHoArtNow profile image81
    WHoArtNowposted 14 years ago

It all depends on what you want it for? I've had a selection of smartphones over the last couple of years.

Blackberry Bold (9000) - Nothing comes close to a B'berry for emails. The Bold is not a touchscreen phone (and the screen isn't huge) however, what it lacks in size, it makes up for in quality. Amazing screen, and the trackball is cool.

iPhone 3G - There fun for the first week or so, then you start getting annoyed at the slow flick through. It's good on the web, the screen is good, and of course, theres the App store, which is amazing.

I know you didn't mention it, but I'm currently using the HTC Hero and with the new firmware, its lightning fast, super easy to use, the Android platform is truly amazing and its camera is decent.

The best thing to do, is go into your local shops and have a play on some. In the end, if you don;t like the interface, you'll regret getting it no matter how cool or good it seems!

4. profile image58
    xravexheavenxposted 14 years ago

I have owned Blackberry devices in the past and simply love them.  Right now, I have a Palm Pre which I am a hugh fan of WebOS now because of if. 

It really all depends on how you are going to use it.  For the business and technical user, get a Blackberry.  For the casual user that is just looking for media and such, get an iPhone.

5. mfresh7 profile image62
    mfresh7posted 14 years ago

Go for a blackberry. iPhone is junky although lately I notice some improvements, the blackberry still wins on email, performance and all other factors.

1. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious and don't intend to slam you for this, but how is the iPhone junky?

I have and use the Blackberry Curve. I love it.

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Based on Blackberry's reputation versus iPhone's reputation (and not considering what someone's individual use/needs may be), I'd go with a Blackberry.

7. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

My brother has an iPhone now and loves it. A close friend also has one and loves hers too. In fact, she has said (quite honestly) that she can't live without it.

Before he got the iPhone, my brother had a blackberry. The one that looked like the iPhone with the touchscreen and he hated it. I played around with it when he had it and it was crappy. when you touched a button on the touch screen it took forever to do anything. You end up getting frustrated, hitting the button again to make it work then you've hit too many...

Everyone I know who has or has had a Blackberry hates them. The keys mess up, they're slow and they have other problems. So I guess I would go with the iPhone

8. living myway profile image59
    living mywayposted 14 years ago

I have an iphone 2g and absolutely adore it. I have a mac at home already and other phones I have owned do not sync properly or easily but the iphone really relieves that issue. I have never owned a blackberry but I cannot live without my iphone. The apps you can add are endless, the email is really easy, google maps keeps me from getting lost(albeit it takes a bit to figure out) the touch screen never gets old, if you have large fingers though the keys may be hard to type with. The touchscreen texting takes a while to get used to, I used to have a sidekick and solid actual keys are much easier to use. This is partially fixed with the ability to turn the keyboard long ways now. The screen on the iphone is larger, but breaks easier(as I found out the hard way). All in all though I can't wait to get a 3GS. I know blackberry users are all about the crackberry and iphone users are on icrack but to each his own. I would test drive them both out at the store and see which you are more comfortable with. If you get the iphone get a kick ass case that protects the screen.

9. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 14 years ago

Blackberry.. Just because it's buy one take one this week. I got the Tour. Definetly liking the broad applications.

10. Merago profile image59
    Meragoposted 14 years ago

I agree with WHoArtNow, it's the HTC Hero all the way for me.  A superb smartphone, with Google's Android OS running things under the hood.  Android is going to take off in a big way over the next 6-12 months as there are a lot of very desirable phones due to hit the market, the Hero is just the first.

11. lizy625 profile image61
    lizy625posted 14 years ago

Blackberry!! I have been an addict to mine for years, the tour is awesome!!If you "work" alot, can't do business without it.  I-phone if you like music-its a glorified mp3 player.

12. Pr0metheus profile image58
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

iphone > bb

13. retellect profile image71
    retellectposted 14 years ago

Its gotta be the the iphone. I started out with the ipod touch and using a blackberry 8800. I recently got the new iphone 3GS and I can't believe what I was missing out on. I barely used the blackberry, just for making calls and sending emails. Most of the time I was on the ipod touch playing games and browsing the net over wifi. Now, I'm free of carrying that blackberry around and can still make and receive calls! Iphone is killer smile

14. Modern Thymes profile image60
    Modern Thymesposted 14 years ago

The iPhone is a much better product but AT&T, the only service provider available, is AWFUL and too expensive. So I bought an iPod Touch, and I've got an LG Lotus phone (powered by Sprint). The iPod Touch runs all the same apps as the iPhone, but I don't have to deal with AT&T.

15. michael1mars profile image40
    michael1marsposted 14 years ago

Personaly working at a telecommunications compagny Iphone has soo many issue and the features included are limited.Iphone is mostly if you like to kook cool or have a phone that is amusing.Otherwise for business and e-mails I highly recommend the Blackberry

16. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 14 years ago

Why not try a search on iPhone alternatives smile
    Best Regards

17. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

blackberry works well for me!

18. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

blackberry is more functional and the iphone is more fun, think that's it in a nutshell.

19. secretagent profile image53
    secretagentposted 14 years ago

If you're looking for a consumer grade device, and are fond of music and video, the iPhone is a great smartphone. The applications are fun and useful, and nothing has as many accessories as the iPhone, to include docks, car alarm integration, cases, and cables. All in all, a very fun device.

The iPhone doesn't handle data as well as the BlackBerry, which makes it so some applications are only available in WiFi hotspots. Not so much of a problem if you frequent McDonalds or Starbucks, as AT&T gives free WiFi access to iPhone users currently.

The BlackBerry, on the other hand, is more down to business and focuses on optimizing data usage even if you're in a 2G area. BlackBerry also offers more form factors and is available on more networks. While it doesn't have as many accessories as the iPhone, it does have a pretty impressive application store. Also, if your primary factor is email, you're not an AT&T user, or don't enjoy virtual keyboards, then BlackBerry is your go to phone.

B

20. kelvinblogger profile image61
    kelvinbloggerposted 14 years ago

Blackberry .. cause i really love it.. try to google it

21. racemels32 profile image59
    racemels32posted 14 years ago

I would get niether. The Blackberry is for the business user except the Storm which has terrable battery life. The Iphone is too multimedia based and doesnt multitask. The Touch Pro2 is a nice mixture of both and you can get it through any carrier.

22. L3B0 profile image61
    L3B0posted 14 years ago

It all depends on your lifestyle. If you want to have fun and keep things fairly serious iPhone is great. If its all work little play (Business type)....blackberry no question bout it.
    Personally me and my family all have iPhones smile....luv them

23. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 14 years ago

I am retired after 40 years in the International Communications Industry, specifically Cellular phones. 

The last 12 years were spent in R&D.

Before I retired, I was a smartphone freak, and now that I am retired and traveling around the US in my RV, I am now an iPhone freak.

My wife and I both have iphones, using dozens of apps each.

We track our meals (I've lost 40 lbs),

We track our exercise (pedometers, bike and walking programs),

We track my blood levels (I just turned diabetic),

We manage our emails, regardless of where we are in the US,

We track and trade stocks, anytime, anywhere,

We keep spreadsheets and documents on our phones for reference,

We use coupons (the code numbers) when we shop,

We find restaurants, shops, and entertainment, anytime anywhere,

We take and send pictures and videos to our family and friends, from anywhere anytime,
    etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

OH, AND IT IS A PRETTY GOOD PHONE TOO!

I really do not think we would never go back to a smartphone, with our lifestyle.

But ...... for the Class-A personality type of Business professional ..... I would recommend a Blackberry!

24. racemels32 profile image59
    racemels32posted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub just for why you should buy a Touch Pro2 http://hubpages.com/hub/10-reasons-to-buy-a-Touch-Pro2

25. jossecarr profile image61
    jossecarrposted 13 years ago

For me any smart phone will do as long as it will supports my online faxing needs.

26. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Hmmmm, in one respect you are all making me feel kinda old.
    I am using and still have a Motorola Razr, which is hitting on 6 years old. Its still fully functioning, although missing one back plate that covers the battery.

I wouldn't look at getting either a Blackberry or an iPhone for several reasons. The main one is I actually enjoy my 'disconnected' time when I am not in front of the computer.

Another reason is I am not going to pay for a phone where the cost of running one on a post paid plan AND making calls is actually rather prohibitive in Australia. So, unless some miracle price reduction happens for phone calling rather than the actual phones any time soon, I'm sticking to pre-paid.

1. profile image50
      aqil atanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

strawberry because its deliciousssssssss

27. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Neither. I want to use a cell phone for good phone reception and delivery, texting, and limited web surfing so I just need a touch phone with at least a 3-inch screen.  Don't really need all the other doodads, I prefer a computer.  I'd probably get an ipad once my netbook is a couple of years old.

28. strutzas profile image59
    strutzasposted 13 years ago

Blackberry and iPhone are really cool gadgets and i think the one that make them difference are their features.

1. jossecarr profile image61
      jossecarrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Features really matters.  I guess it would be best to get a phone having features that supports your daily communication needs.

29. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

It seemed to me that every Tom, Dick and Harry had an iPhone here, which was one good reason not to get one (thought I'd stick to my black Nokia 6700 Classic). But I was looking at one a couple of weeks ago, and was very, very impressed by all its features. I'm tempted.
    My boss had a Blackberry and was so dissatisfied, he exchanged it for a 'no name' that served the purpose a lot better.

30. profile image53
    brantKOUposted 6 years ago

I have an iPhone 6. I think it is good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)