Help me choose a new phone, please!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I have a Env3 with Verizon and I am ready to upgrade.  My knowledge about Smartphones and all the capabilities is very limited.

I really want an iPhone but I'm really not sure I want to leave Verizon for ATT.

My sister has an iPhone and she uses it to scedule all her to-do's and appointments and the screen shows everything nicely with daily and weekly views - I like that.

I would love to be able to use my phone for all my scheduling and be able to get rid of my paper planner.

I would love to be able to access the internet also for occasional surfing or looking up stuff and definitely for checking and sending email.

I also would love to be able to use "apps" like the iPhone has.

I'm thinking about a Blackberry or Droid or ??? What is Android, anyway?  and HTC??

I could go on and on...would appreciate any feedback...I don't want to get stuck with a phone I hate and a two-year contract I can't get out of...

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image80
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

go with at and t and get what you want

2. profile image0
      Tech Updates>>posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apple iPhone 4 (AT&T): With the iPhone 4, Apple again shows that it is a powerful player in the smartphone wars. It won't be for everyone, the call quality and reception vary if you don't use a case, and AT&T's network remains a sticking point, but the handset's striking design, loaded feature set, and generally agreeable performance make it the best iPhone yet.
      Price: $299.00 - $699.99

HTC Droid Incredible (Verizon Wireless): With its polished design and user interface and blazing fast speeds, the HTC Droid Incredible takes pole position as Verizon's top smartphone and is now the Android device to beat.
      Price: $764.09

HTC Evo 4G - black (Sprint)
      The HTC Evo 4G is easily Sprint's best smartphone and one of today's top Android devices. It also shows the promise of 4G, which will grow as Sprint's WiMax network expands, but until there's broader 4G coverage, it's hard to agree with the mandatory premium data add-on fee.
      Price: $149.99 - $599.99

Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint): The Samsung Epic 4G is a multimedia powerhouse with features the other Galaxy S phones don't have. Unfortunately, it comes with a big price tag.
      Price: $99.99 - $649.99

T-Mobile G2: Some minor issues aside, the T-Mobile G2 is one of the carrier's top Android smartphones, offering an excellent QWERTY keyboard, speed, and plenty of features.
      Price: $129.99 - $599.99

Lets check for upcoming phones: http://hubpages.com/t/1bc12a

3. jaebi profile image61
      jaebiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if you're still in the market for a smartphone, but I highly recommend the G2 as it offers a nice mix of both worlds in productivity vs. multimedia fun.

4. Toni Miller profile image60
      Toni Millerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Android is the way to go.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Rumors have it that the iPhone will come to Verizon very soon.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago
  4. Lily Rose profile image85

I've heard those rumors - some said this past summer, others say this coming March - I have no idea what to believe and who really knows and I'm not sure how long I can wait.  Any idea when it may actually be announced if it will happen or not?  The rumors don't seem to have any credibility to them...

5. Lily Rose profile image85

Sorry - we overlapped!  I'll check that out right now...

.....hmmmm.....well maybe I can wait until January and see if this article is correct, although reading many of the comments under that article, I may want to consider a Verizon Android phone, although I have no idea what Android is!

6. Lily Rose profile image85

Okay, so I did a little more looking and it actually seems that many people think that the Droid, or Android, phones are far superior to the iPhone.

Anyone have any words of advice? Please?

1. jobister profile image60
      jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Android phones are more customizable, the iPhone is not because apple doesn't want you to customize the phone they are selling. If you are looking for games to play on your phone then iPhone would be better because it as a bigger catalog for games, but if you are using it to make just phone calls and play with apps here and there then go with an android phone. Also when you do go for the upgrade, try looking at amazon.com before you go with the carrier's website to upgrade. Majority of the time the phones sold on amazon are free or third of the price the carriers are selling them at.

7. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 13 years ago

Android is a linux based operating system for mobile devices.  It has APP capabilities...  I have a Samsung Intercept Android version 2.1.  My phone has all the scheduling capabilities you could ever need.  I can readily surf... I do go onto HP with it, too.  Trouble is, you can't get get that with Verizon.  My only gripe is it can be a bit sluggish. 

HTC is a hardware manufacturer, they make the device itself.  Droids are mostly Motorola, although not all.

I had a Blackberry and hated it.  It doesn't have a touch screen, has a small screen (ick), limited applications, and I hated the keyboard and navigation buttons.  But, that's just me.

Verizon has a boatload of Android phones though.  Of course, there are the Droids, my hubby used one for work for a long time and really liked it.  Some Droids have keyboards and some don't.  I'd definitely want a keyboard myself, call me old fashioned...

You could get a good Samsung with Verizon, though.  Go to engadget reviews online, search for "engadget mobile".  It's a great site.  Hopefully I didn't just spam!  yikes

The Droid 2 has a keyboard, but the Droid X does not.  Droid X is rated slightly better.  Take advantage of the engadget reviews,you will learn all you want about the various Droids there.  One recommendation would be The Incredible (if you can get past the name roll ).  It's an HTC Droid.  It doesn't have a physical keyboard though...  But, as I said, that's just an individual preference.

8. Lily Rose profile image85

Thanks for the great info, WS!  I'm going to check out that site right now...

Update:  Now I am even more confused!!  Great site, though ..... going back to read some more!

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh NO!  I'm sorry you are more confused...  Trust me, I went through this very same thing recently.  Perhaps you could make a list of your top, must-have criteria and go from there.  See what "matches", what doesn't, then make a list.  I had to come to terms with the fact there wasn't necessarily a perfect phone, especially in terms of what I was willing to pay.  So, I shot for one that fit as many of the criterion as possible.  I'm very pleased with the Android, though.

9. Lily Rose profile image85

Well, I went to Costco today for a laminator and I left with a Samsung Fascinate!

I had been leaning to this one for whatever reason and I passed the cell phone kiosk at Costco and saw their price was $40 less than at the Verizon store, PLUS the phone comes with a holder and a car charger (at least a $45-$50 value I'm guessing) so I went for it! 

I do need to let it completely charge tonight but I tried to use it some and boy do I have a lot to learn!

The salesman at the Verizon store the other day told me that they actually have Smartphone classes there - I think I may sign up for one and let someone else show me what I need to know rather than going crazy trying to figure it all out myself...

1. Enni82 profile image60
      Enni82posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good choice. I went through the same process a few months back, I decided to go with the Samsung Epic 4G from Sprint. At first, I was set on the iPhone but the only thing that kept me from purchasing one was AT&T. I don't have first hand experience with them but I have heard horror stories from all my co-workers about  terrible reception and customer service. I decided to go with Android, and haven't thought about the iPhone since...

Check out the new Google Maps upgrade if you haven't yet. You can read my review here.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Maps-50- … nd-Tablets

10. gsburgess profile image59
    gsburgessposted 13 years ago

If you have any really specific questions, feel free to message me!  I've had a lot of experience with SmartPhones, and I've owned the majority of Verizon phones at one point or another, and have a sibling who has an iPhone.

I really like the Droid - many people seem to claim that the Droid Market is sub-par to the App Store, but if it is, it's not by that much.  The commercials are correct when they say it's "ever-expanding".  The droids have great customization options as well.

The Samsung Fascinate is a great phone, the only problem I had with it was the battery life, a personal pet peeve.

11. kelsean profile image55
    kelseanposted 13 years ago
  12. jossecarr profile image60
    jossecarrposted 13 years ago

love iphone because of its business phone app.

13. alertswiftreview profile image60
    alertswiftreviewposted 13 years ago

I think you must go for Blackberry as it has all latest features and it supports all business applications. So this is the best phone in the latest mobile gadgets.

14. brandonakelly profile image61
    brandonakellyposted 13 years ago

I've been doing reviews on a few smart phones here lately, one of my favs is the Samsung Galaxy S, check it out! It has a lot of cool features, my favorite being the HD screen, it's really an awesome phone in my opinion.

15. MoneyCreator24 profile image56
    MoneyCreator24posted 13 years ago

I can recommend Blackberry. I traveled the world and saw the most business use a BB. Even the military uses it. It has prevailed. It is very functional, versatile, and significantly cheaper than iPhone.

16. profile image49
    zita=justina<3posted 13 years ago

why do u want us to check it out?

17. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 13 years ago

I don't think many phones have come close to the iPhone.  If that's what you really want, get it.  It does everything.

1. Sekharg profile image61
      Sekhargposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Buy iPhone.

You don't regret your choice.

18. PFrutuosa profile image61
    PFrutuosaposted 13 years ago

Take a look here...
    http://astore.amazon.com/tech2sell-20
    I suggest Apple Iphone4

1. othic profile image59
      othicposted 13 years ago

I might be able to help you if you need to know more about those phones.

2. sa3o profile image62
      sa3oposted 13 years ago

I'll pick Samsung Galaxy S or Samsung Omnia 735 absolutely...

3. eimproveit profile image66
      eimproveitposted 13 years ago

take a quick look at a few things to consider before purchasing a new smartphone.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Smart-Tips-For- … martPhones

Hope that helps you out.

4. profile image49
      tina1234posted 13 years ago

Well, here are two hubs about android smartphone review:
      http://hubpages.com/hub/huawei-u8150-th … one-review
      http://hubpages.com/hub/ZTE-V880-VS-Samsung-i5700

hope this helps!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)