Whatcha havin' for Thanksgiving?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (31 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

My turkeys, ham, and pork loin are thawing, and I made my cornbread today for my dressing. We're also having lots of veggies and casseroles, yeast rolls, gravy, and several desserts. Oh, and LOTS of cranberry sauce! lol

My 7-year-old granddaughter had to go to school today dressed as a Pilgrim or a Native American, so I came up with the costume in the pic. She's part Cherokee and part Cheyenne, so I thought it would be only fitting!

1. omcj1234 profile image60
      omcj1234posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very cute picture. We're having turkey, stuffing, pumpkin soup, collard greens, and sweet potatoes.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image80
        Seafarer Mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oooh, yum! Pumpkin soup!

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure, but it will be delicious, because I am blessed to be celebrating with many new friends. This past Saturday, I took a shut-in friend to an early Thanksgiving at a farm and inn - we had homemade fried chicken, noodles, meatloaf, sweet potato casserole, homemade cinnamon applesauce, sweet potato bread with cinnamon butter, coleslaw, onion rings, green beans, vanilla bean coffee with real whipped cream, raspberry tea, and apple pie ala mode.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Dinner with Mother and no other family(because they cannot be bothered). What I'm having is still presently undecided. wink

1. Alice in Wonder profile image61
      Alice in Wonderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One year away from my hometown, my family and my sister's family had Thanksgiving at a 5 star hotel.  They were serving a Thanksgiving Buffet.  We all got dressed up and was formal dining.  Really enjoyed ourselves.  Might I suggest the same for you this year?  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

3. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Lots of all the traditional things, plus and new recipe that I invented myself for a cranberry sauce.   Brown sugar and pinapple cooked down to a syrup consistency and poured over cream cheese to be eaten as a dip.   It is so good, hope there is some left for thanksgiving.

4. K9keystrokes profile image85
    K9keystrokesposted 13 years ago

Traditional roast turkey, dressing, baked sweet potatoes, corn, mashed potatoes, green beans, homemade pecan pie (my sister has a pecan farm so we get them very fresh) and a bunch of appetizers from whoever brings whatever. I love Thanksgiving!

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you in the South? I ask because of the pecans, and I saw one of your recipes for shrimp and grits.

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
        K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am actually very west coast. My sister lives in NM, and ya just can't go wrong with shrimp and grits! My dad is from Scotland, but grew up in Oklahoma...some very interesting recipes were derived at our dinner table! BTW~Love the Native American clothing in your profile image habee.

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, K9! Those are 2 of my granddaughters.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I will have turkey and shrimp scampi, rice and roast beef. Dessert is fruit salad and mixed vegetable salad. My friends will come over here and we will have karaoke singing too while watching football LOL>

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
      K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go Saints!

6. Alice in Wonder profile image61
    Alice in Wonderposted 13 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!  The first Thanksgiving without my father sad This year we will be at my house.  We'll be having turkey, ham, brisket, dressing, green bean casserole, roasted red potatoes, carrots, corn, & sweet potatoe casserole.  My sister is the baker who makes the works with pies, cakes, cookies and breads.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

We have the traditional Thanksgiving dinner for those who eat that, and some vegan extras (desserts, stuffing, and potato prepared without dairy - not a big challenge).

Besides the meal, breads (banana, cranberry, date, etc.), mini lemon tarts, mince pastries and, of course - pies (pumpkin, apple, whatever else may show up).

All the usual vegetables - corn (of course), a bunch of green vegetables, yams, and squash.  Cranberry sauce (again, of course)
    Mashed potato, potato stuff, bread stuff, and rolls (obviously, everyone likes starches with gravy for Thanksgiving here)

Fruit bowl, relish tray, different kinds of nuts, and candy

and champagne

Having said all that (sshhh - don't tell anyone) I kind of hate Thanksgiving.   lol   Too food-centered for my tastes.   smile

Sounds like a yummy, several-course spread. :0)

8. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

My partner and I are going to a family friend's, so all I have to make is dressing!  I always make it the way my mum did, with apples and prunes.  Trust me, it's delicious.  Even folks who aren't normally prune-eaters love it.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plus it will keep you regular.

9. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I bought a small turkey and I'm going to cook it and eat it all by myself! Chances are I'll eat it while doing some work on my sites. hmm

10. Megavitamin profile image70
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

My fella and I are having Thanksgiving by ourselves (for the second year in a row) because we are on the West Coast and our families are on the East Coast.  We made way too much food last year, so we are attempting to pare it down a little.

I will make green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, rolls, a pumpkin pie, and a chocolate pie

He's making stuffing, cranberries, homemade whipped cream, and opening all the bottles of wine

We make the turkey together.

We had a lot of <loud> discussions over the type of potatoes this year.  He loves sweet potatoes and I don't.  I won.  We have the rest of our vegetables during the day, like celery, carrots, and bloody marys (they're made with tomato juice!).

11. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

This year is the first year we won;t be eating at my grandparents house. We are doing dinner here just mama, me and Terry.
    We are making french toast and bacon for brunch and having mamosas or something like that and then for dinner we are having dressing and gravy, green bean cas, cherry cheesecake pie, either chicken or pork roast. we dont like ham and turkey. and cranberry sauce, maybe mashed taters and maybe some deviled eggs.

12. profile image51
    whispering wisdomposted 13 years ago

Tofukey yummm

13. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

http://theimaginaryworld.com/tvdin08.jpg

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/Wild-Turkey-Bourbon-Whiskey-101-724687.jpg

14. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Ron, I think some whiskey is definitely in order, but Wild Turkey wouldn't be my first choice.  How about a little Jameson action?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Turkey is traditional at Thanksgiving.  If you like Irish whiskey, you should try Jon Powers.  Jameson's not bad either.

15. MichelleArakaki profile image60
    MichelleArakakiposted 13 years ago

We're having Turkey, prime rib, spaghetti casserole, cornbread, fruit salad and pies for dessert.

16. Seafarer Mama profile image80
    Seafarer Mamaposted 13 years ago

My family is having stuffed turkey, whipped potatoes and carrots (a Poish dish), stuffed mushrooms, cranberry sauce, and a vegetable I do not remember. My aunt has baked an apple cake and I am sure we will also have pumpkin pie for dessert.

It will be delicious because I am so grateful for the opportunity to feast again with my family in Virginia. My Mom is reading to my daughter as I write. My aunt is cooking a pork roast for this evening's dinner, and my daughter shared her biggest wish with Santa today at the Yankee Candle flagship store. Took a 2 mile walk with my uncle on this clear, sunny day.

What a wonderful Thanksgiving this will be for us!

Forgot the holiday cheese ball my aunt plans to make. It's delicioius!

1. Megavitamin profile image70
        Megavitaminposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds delicious!

17. ExpandYourMind profile image68
    ExpandYourMindposted 13 years ago

Turkey and stuffing, ham, sweet potatoes, green beans, rolls, salad, pecan pie, carrot cake -- Mom's cooking and I am eating :)and helping with the clean up. Everyone have a great T-Day!

18. Abecedarian profile image78
    Abecedarianposted 13 years ago

We had football all day. Yeah Texas Aggies! Gig 'Em! For a meal, we were had turkey, cornbread stuffing, yams, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, broccoli w/ cheese sauce, biscuits and cranberry sauce.  Pumpkin pie and apple pie and grandma's homemade cinnamon rolls.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)