It's Greek to me...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Does anyone else have this "problem"

I can write, I can do keywords..I think
    I can obviously do the suggest links and I can also
    back link to facebook and ...

but that's about it.

Will I do ok? Didn't someone say one of the top hubbers here doesn't bother to backlink, that good writing is most key? (and I'm working on that...)

I don't know if I can learn all this complex google analytical stuff

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everybody has this problem. If you do not do research and backlink - as PCUnix says - sometimes your page will do well. Sometimes. This is partially dependent on the quality of your page and which subject it is on. You can easily rank for non competitive, non-commercial subjects just by knowing what you are talking about.

In a financially competitive subject - you are not going to rank for a competitive term without doing research and promotional work. The End.

In other subjects - you may well get a first page ranking for a reasonable term - but there probably will not be any money in it.

It all depends on what your definition of "OK" is. There are a myriad reasons to write online that have nothing to do with money. I often write things knowing full well there is no money in it directly.

But - if you want to make a living doing this - you absolutely need to learn some basic keyword research and develop some promotional skills, or be extremely prolific - and by that I mean bang out 3, 800 word articles a day, every day for the next 2 years on a wide variety of subjects that have financial possibilities and I would hazard a guess you will be making a decent living by the 3rd year.

I have been experimenting with what works and what does not. Turn on your analytics and learn how to use it. Then you can work out what works for you - or not. There are plenty of tutorials available for free.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

You have to change your view... hmm

To get into the details that are included with Google Analytics, you have to be more organized, like from a business aspect.

What is important for the business to survive? Profit.

What is key to making profit? Seo techniques and Keyword rich content.

Backlinking can be helpful, but as Relache has demonstrated through her work/writing and testimony in the forums, she does not backlink her work. She stands on pure quality content and does well.

If you continue to look at it from a writer's perspective, then the more important aspects of earning will escape you.

Shazwellyn has written several articles on On-Page Optimization. You might want to look at her hubs. smile

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you continue to look at it from a writer's perspective, then the more important aspects of earning will escape you.

---------------

Well then I'm doing that, and whatever happens , happens I guess.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay. wink

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Schoolgirl, I write, I use the keyword tool, I optimize my page for adsense (or Amazon) and SEO.  I don't use the suggested links, and I don't backlink except for one per hub on Xomba (nearly worthless, but I've earned a few $$ from Xomba).  I don't twitter or use facebook or any other social site.

I look at analytics, but don't really have the views yet (40,000 total for all hubs) to really do a statistical analysis on much of anything.  What I can find out I already know, except for which hubs are producing clicks and it will take more than a few hundred clicks and a few months to really analyze what's happening.

Overall, I'm pleased with my progress.  I'm sure (shoot, I know) others have done better, but I'm happy.

Quality writing, SEO, page optimization and quality writing.  Throw in some more quality writing and you'll do fine.smile

Thankyou wilderness.
      I am still new
      I have been here 7mo.
      I have over 10,000 views now
      smile

I guess more time.

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I write my 'money making' hubs on other accounts now. I write a hub and I just ignore it - it's on its own after that.

On those accounts I don't have followers (or one or two randoms if I do), I don't interact with the site and I certainly don't backlink.

I never use the suggested link tool, I only link between my own hubs on that account, with other relevant hubs.

Usually they get google hits within a day or two.

I don't think I've signed into analytics for about a month. I just write.

ty wry
      smile that's all i wanna do, is write

1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is all I do.

I have averaged one webpage per day for almost 14 years now.  I wouldn't say that I ignore SEO entirely, but it isn't my primary concern or even my secondary. Writing is what is always first and foremost in my mind.

Cream rises. I wish I had a lot more cream than I do, but the facts are that if you just keep throwing it out there, some of it will do well no matter how crappy your SEO skills are. As they say, even a blind pig will find some acorns.

You may not be able to make a living from just writing without paying at least some attention to SEO and marketing, but you might make a partial living.  I would suggest that you at least turn on Analytics - it may be useless to you now, but it will eventually tell you a lot about what works and what does not.

Good luck!

5. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I've found that it helps to think "boring" and "obvious."

I wrote some hubs that I felt were boring.  I never thought they'd get any views, but they have surprised me, and they are probably some of the least creative I ever wrote.  These hubs don't exactly sparkle with witty aphorisms and catchy metaphors.  Just think of some common subject and a problem you encountered around it, and it can often make a good Adsense hub.  It will have its own unique twist among all the other mundane articles out there on the SERPS.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)