Blasphemy laws - Your Views?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (45 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image61
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

as a woman in pakistan was sentenced to death under blasphemy laws , the debate about the law has heated up...what are your views on such laws?...

1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
      stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God gave man a free will.  What right does man have to take anothers free will away from them?  None.  I think it is up to God to decide if some one committed blasphemy or not.  Who are we to judge another?

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So what is God's punishment for blasphemy?  Is it not death as well?  So these nutjobs are just carrying out God's directive, since God seems to always send proxies to represent him.

That is up to God to decide.  We are not God.  It isn't up to us.

1. getitrite profile image71

He doesn't seem to be able to make any decisions, and He never even shows up.

1. Jerami profile image59
              Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never say never.   AND  You just don't know what YA don't know,  Ya know?   No, I guess Ya don't.

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
                Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is really funny is Ya think YA do. lol

Do you?  Or, do you just think you do?  Isn't it just your opinion?

Of course not. I know almost nothing. But - I am certain you do not have an answer for me. You just want to fight for Jesus. sad

2. Jerami profile image59
                  Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark  you are correct   I do know that I don't know. Ya know?

2. profile image48
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quran does not mention to enact any such laws in this world; Quran leaves it for the hereafter.

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is only one Blasphemy God will never forgive and that is to Blaspheme by denying God Himself. any other form considered to be blaspheming is wrong and false docterine.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yet, you most likely deny a plethora of gods, all but one. Is that not blasphemy? smile

2. getitrite profile image71

There is no God.  Blasphemy is a term created by psychotics to further inforce their psychotic delusional absurd dogma.

Why would God need to threaten people with punishment, for just NOT believing in Him?

What a weak and petty God these psychotics have created for you.

4. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Governments who make such laws, need to grow the f*&^k up!

2. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

It's all bulls**t. It's no different than saying you have to agree with what I believe in or we will kill you.

What if I passed a law saying you all have to respect non-believe of any god? That if you spoke out on it you'll be killed for it.

What does a law like that really mean? It means "shut up and believe what I do and if you don't you deserve to die". roll

3. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

Blasphemy laws, of any kind should NOT be included in government legislated law of any country.
    Of course, these laws DO make it into government in NON-secular countries. Islam being one that stands out.
    I note there are no such laws (enforced) in western societies.

dj - you astound me. The blashemy law was not abolished until 2008 in the UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_ … ed_Kingdom

Australia beat us to it by doing away with it in 1913. Plenty of peopel were prosecuted under these laws in the past.

Do you get all your "facts" out of thin air? wink

1. kephrira profile image60
        kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you read the (enforced) bit Mark. Blasphemy may have still been technically illegal in the UK in 2007, but noone was being prosecuted for it.

No - but they have been in the past.

A lot of things happened in the past. But it was a long time ago.

There are loads of legal quirks like this. Slavery was only made illegal in Britain a few years ago - because it was never officially recognised as legal in the first place - but you can't judge Britain today on the basis of these things.

So what? The fact is - not so long ago - and still in some cases today - the "western world" had/has secular laws against blasphemy. So - we are a couple of hundred years ahead of Islam.

I agree, it was just that you seemed to be using this to suggest that it was wrong to point out the difference between the Islamic and the Western world on this, but just because similar things happened here hundreds of years ago, doesn't mean there is no difference worth highlighting today.

The real point is - we have forced religion out of our secular affairs, and eventually Islam will also. They just have not done so yet. We made the same mistake that they are making now.

Absolutely, but the fact that we made the mistake in the past does not preclude us from pointing it out when other make the same mistakes today.

And there is no innevitability that the Islamic world will evolve in this way.

2. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you show me the country of Islam on a map?
      (It's OK, I know you didn't mean it that way wink

3. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like, stores being open on Sundays? smile

4. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Greece still has blasphemy laws, unfortunately.

4. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I "blaspheme" everyones imagined god!
    So there!
    Qwark   roll

I thought the only unforgivable sin was to deny the holy spirit, but Jack Daniels is the only Holy Spirit I recognize.

RAmen

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SALUTE!
        Qwark  smile:

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Here in Canada where hockey is a religion, I have lobbied Parliament to pass a blasphemy law targeting those who speak ill of God's team, the Toronto Maple Leafs (peace be upon them)

Makes about as much sense as anything else I have heard lately. I am torn between the "believing in magic," and "Jesus vs Mohammad Final Smackdown" threads as the funniest right now.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We Leaf fans have been waiting for the time we will inherit the earth (or at least the League championship) for over 40 years.

If I can't convert you to Christianity, Mark, perhaps you will at least be a disciple of God's team?

No compulsion

http://theslapshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/1aleafs3.gif

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this made me LOL

Respect each other is all -- applies to all, belief, sports team.
        Thous shall not criticize my fav team....If you criticize my team, then the only law I know is to criticize yours too.. that is why there is a Smackdown versus RAW Mohammed and J Christ

6. Beelzedad profile image59
    Beelzedadposted 13 years ago

And, in the third period, the sons of god were resurrected.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/Vancouver_Canucks_logo.svg/200px-Vancouver_Canucks_logo.svg.png

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that kinda talk will send you straight to Hell, Beelzedad

1. pisean282311 profile image61
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)