Does romantic love change or evolve over time?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Sunnyglitter profile image83
    Sunnyglitterposted 13 years ago

I believe it does change and evolve after you've been in a relationship or marriage for awhile (and that's not a bad thing), but I might be wrong, so I'd like to hear other opinions.

My boyfriend stopped telling me that he loves me 4 months ago.  We live together, and just had a child together (I also have a child from a previous relationship), so while I wouldn't stay just because of my home or children, I would like this relationship to work.

I thought I could handle my boyfriend not loving me anymore since the relationship is still good overall, but it is eating at me.  I no longer trust my boyfriend (I feel like I cannot trust somebody who doesn't love me, because who knows what they'll do), and I do not feel secure in the relationship.  I actually cry every day because it breaks my heart to be in a relationship with somebody who acts nice to me, but tells me they don't love me.  It is inconsistent and stressful.

Yesterday, I asked my boyfriend why he doesn't love me anymore.  He said it's because he "doesn't get that feeling that everybody says they get when they're in love" and that he doesn't feel butterflies around me.

Okay.  That was not the answer I was expecting, and I actually found it funny.  So I asked what his other reasons for feeling like he was no longer in love with me were.  He said he had no other reasons.

I found it funny because I feel like it's normal to no longer feel "butterflies" after awhile.  In my opinion, after dating somebody for awhile, you still love them, but the love is different- it's a calmer feeling, like you're just happy they're around and you feel comfortable with them.

Some background about my boyfriend:  I'm the only longterm relationship he's ever had.  I mention that because I know how some boyfriends claim they don't love you out of anger just to hurt you (I've had it happen), and I don't think that's what he's doing.

We do not fight very often, and we are still extremely affectionate towards each other; from the outside looking in, everything would appear to be fine.  My boyfriend says that he's happy in the relationship, and would be sad if either of us were to end things.

So yeah...love.  Does it change over time, or should I just consider this relationship to be over?

1. mirtlesquirtle profile image61
      mirtlesquirtleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right about your notion regarding love. It changes as time goes by. The feeling changes but not the emotion. There is still a connection between the two of you but the feeling you had when you first started dating is gone. I think it is normal for you guys to feel that way. I think he still loves you but he doesn't know what the feeling is after "romantic love" is gone.

2. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

it changes all the time.... don't know about the butterflies, but i say he would miss you if you were not around.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...just a thought...he's talking to you and maybe sending a message...so...maybe the 2 of you need to kick it up a notch and bring a bit of spark back...discover each other again?...do some different things whatever that is...but together...and/or not together...discover yourself....shake things up a bit, but good stuff....

Sunnyglitterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...he's going out of town soon, for a week.  Maybe that will help.

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

dump his ass and find someone that appreciates you all the time.  Love evolves but not by someone telling you that you don't give them butterflies anymore!  True love means loving all the time even when there are times that the love ebbs slightly.  Love and life ebbs and flows, never give up on either.  Just don't stay with someone that doesn't have the desire to work thru the rough spots.

5. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I'm going to ask Steve if he gets butterflies when he sees me ,,,,,,

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...ha ha ha...he better have the right answer!

6. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Romantic love starts with a connection based on the flames of passion and desire...

It then enters a metamorphosis that is based on the security of companionship...

Then finally, it matures into a relationship based on the comfort of familiar mutual hostility

lol at "familiar mutual hostility".  smile

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

I don't like 2 phrases in your revelation:
    First, And I'll quote " but tells me they don't love me.  It is inconsistent and stressful."
    Second, " I'm the only longterm relationship he's ever had."
    You cannot possible tell somebody that you do not love him/her and continue to live with him/her. It's so lame, deceitful and middle ages sort of thing! If he is used to short term relationship and did it before, what do you expect? Marriage for convenience, - it's the most disgusting thing in the world! You don't have to be married to love somebody nowadays and you cannot(and should not) share your life with somebody who does not love you. Regarding butterflies... Some man always feel butterflies near a woman. big_smile   Speaking seriously, when you love somebody and I mean really love, you don't have to ask yourself or somebody else, you just know it. It's a precious gift and not everybody gets it unfortunately. Just don't cry over broken relationship, it's always your choice and who knows, you might get a second chance.

Yeah, I'm confused about why he would want to continue living here if he doesn't love me.  His parents are less than a mile away, and he's very close to them, so he could definitely go live back there if he wanted to.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

hmm, I don't know about romantic love changing, but people in love will change and experience love in it's various expressions.

I wouldn't be happy if my partner said he no longer loved me. then it is just existing together. how can you love someone when there is no trust?  love yourself enough to expect love from your partner.. to cry everyday, that's heartbreaking. does he know this?

have you read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery?
    there are many great lessons in the book and one of my favorite quotes about love, "Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward in the same direction." 

sometimes we don't know we can fly until we spread our wings.  you are stronger than you think. best wishes to you!

I haven't read that book, but I've heard that quote before.  It's beautiful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)