Hardest player to cover in NFL

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

I am going with DeSean Jackson. His play at the end of the game against the Giants was amazing. Which player past or present comes to your mind?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I honestly don't know about all time, as I would have to do some research into the NFL's entire history to figure that out. For this season though?  I'd pick Michael Vick.  Sure, I'll admit, I wanted to see the guy fail in the nfl over what he did with the dogfighting scandal.  However, I'm also a firm believer that everyone has the right to have a second chance as well.  However, it seems like he's really reinvented himself into a quality Quarterback under Reid's guidance.

Don't get me wrong, Vick had his moments in Atlanta, but he was too inconsistent if you ask me.  This year he seems like a more rounded QB than he's ever been in his career.  He has one of the highest passer ratings in the nfl, a solid touchdown to interception ratio, and he's impossible to plan for.  even if you do manage to take away his receivers, he'll beat you with his feet.  if you shut down all the running lanes for him to get to, then he can throw that ball a mile deep.  most defensive coordinators have even admitted that vick is hard to plan for because of those qualities.  That's why I have to say Michael Vick.

2. bogerk profile image70
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hardest for a defensive back to cover? I would say Michael Irvin of the Dallas Cowboys in the 90s. Why? Because he pushed off, jumped on top of and threw down everyone defending him and was rarely if ever called for it.

Pretty impossible to cover a guy that for whatever reason didn't have to play by the rules in the NFL.

2. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Jerry Rice.

1549 receptions, nuf said.

3. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

I would have to say Randy Moss when he decided that he wanted to play. I remember his rookie season when opposing teams had nothing they could do against him and it seemed like there was no ball he could not catch. Cunningham and Culpepper would just throw the ball up in the air and he would come down with it whether he was single, double, or triple covered. He was just about as good in his first season with the Patriots as well. Remember that he was also on the two highest single-season scoring offenses in NFL history.

4. jobister profile image61
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

After watching the new england vs. green bay game I think I would add Tom Brady to the list as well.

5. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago

Desean Jackson isn't the hardest player to cover, because he's been shut out of games. But he can fly by people and when he gets a hold of the ball he is gone. I might be a bit biased, but I'd put him up there as the most exciting player in the league right now.

1. bogerk profile image70
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would think his QB (Michael Vick) is more exciting than him at this point. He is essentially a RB with 100+ yards rushing and a TD and a QB with 3 passing TDs in the same game.

DeSean Jackson is nothing if Vick doesn't get him the ball (other than of course on special teams).

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, most receivers have trouble catching the ball unless someone throws it to them, but DJ was doing pretty good last year when Vick was mostly watching from the sidelines. And you can't just discount the kick returns because those are the most exciting plays in a game.

Having said that, Vick is having a phenomenal season and I wouldn't fault anyone for picking him instead.

6. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago
    1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was an awesome play. D.Jackson is very exciting to watch.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago
    1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

We're still chuckling over his run...he was great!  big_smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful run, we laughed along with his team mates.  I kinda favor Ronnie White for some reason.  Go Falcons!

3. jobister profile image61
      jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought he was going to run out of the stadium.

8. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

Past: Earl Campbell

Present: Arion Foster-I'm staying with a Houston Theme...even though the Texans are not deserving of any mention...I can still have a twisted sense of hope...for next season...or the next...or the next (I say that-'cause that's what every year sounds like down here!)

No Talk-Just Git r' done!

9. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Randy Moss (when he's not taking plays off). If he had the work ethic of Jerry Rice, he would have all the records by now. And I'm not a fan. In NFL polls, DBs have consistently voted him hardest to cover.

10. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

OJ Simpson...

it's easy to catch him, but it takes years to bring him down

1. jobister profile image61
      jobisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol, I'm sure this has more than a football reference.

11. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

I'm still sticking with Randy Moss, but I think Devin Hester deserves some credit for recently becoming the NFL's all-time leader in kick/punt return touchdowns for a career. I think he's only played five seasons, so that's pretty impressive.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)