Best hub is dropping like a rock since I added . . .

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 13 years ago

I have one hub that consistently rates high and seems to be a favorite. Recently I added a You Tube video and now the score has plummeted from 96 to 85. Is there a connection? Or just coincidence?

Has anyone experienced this in the past couple of days? Also a brand new hub that stayed at 50 for a long time. Anyone else?

1. iamalegend profile image60
      iamalegendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the hubscore is not always constant. It'll vary every time. Sometimes it'll go up and down in a certain change.

PegCole17posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to know.

2. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

It's coincidence.  Scores go up, scores go down.  That's just how those work.  Traffic has a bigger effect on score than anything you do.

And new Hubs can take days to weeks to find their range, especially if they aren't getting much traffic.  You've only got one Hub that is close to 50, and it's showing as barely a day old.  If you think that is "a long time" I suggest you work on developing a realistic time sense.  Even the four years or so that HubPages has existed doesn't even qualify as a long time.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, sometimes I do get impatient. I'm just trying to figure which stragegies are working and which are not.

Yesterday I went in and edited the tags on several hubs after looking at the key words tab under statistics. Scores seem to have been negatively impacted, but as you said. Scores go up and down.

Again, thanks for your help.

3. timorous profile image82
    timorousposted 13 years ago

The biggest key to any hub article, or anything searchable on the internet is 'relevance'.  The keywords you choose need to be words and phrases that people are actually searching for, in moderately high numbers.  The videos need to be very relevant to the subject as well.

I wouldn't go changing your tags to match some weird long-tail keyword phrase that 2 people in the world typed into a search engine.  Besides, the tags have to be in your text capsules somewhere to make any difference at all.

Relax, and give it time.

Thank you for clarifying that for me timorous. With all the information out there it's easy to go astray. I should have left what was working alone.

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

It's funny you saying that the adding of a youtube video caused your score to drop. That is not the first time I have heard of this happening recently.
    We all like to add youtube videos for the backlink to youtube that it provides, but I have heard some mention of Google penalising sites that take longer to load? Anyone care to comment?

I changed the tags at the same time so it's hard to know what really affected it. Since I deleted the YouTube and changed the tags back, the score is climbing again. Maybe it was both.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

When google spiders a hub it will not stream any of the videos so download time is not affected appart from the few milliseconds it takes to read the code used to embed the video.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that Peter. Makes sense.

2. PegCole17 profile image94

Thanks. I just found your great articles on SEO and hope to read them and learn more about setting up my hubs.

6. OldSkoolFool profile image60
    OldSkoolFoolposted 13 years ago

I've noticed that anytime I modify a hub the score drops for a bit. I think because it's now kicked back to an evaluation for quality control. I imagine over the next few weeks it will go back up.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that adding any new material, restarts the hub in the calculation process of its place on the virtual ladder we all look to climb. With the previous ranking history now a large part of the new calculation.

The more or larger the addition is (in the google view) the more effect it has on the calculation - causing a 'bounce', I have noticed that changing one word in the title can do this to some extent, in fact it does it every time, so major change like adding a new block of info with all its onward strings of connection attached would have the biggest effect.

The good news is that bounce normally means it goes higher afterward - I think.

Which is pretty much what you said - I think big_smile

I seem to edit more than I publish but haven't noticed a drop in the rating when I finish. But then, my visits per day/per hub are still low. Nice of you to comment.

7. Ellarose92 profile image60
    Ellarose92posted 13 years ago

i experienced this as well but then again i've only been here for 5days haha

Hi - welcome. Thanks for joining in this discussion. I just read one of your hubs and it looks great!

8. The Pink Panther profile image55
    The Pink Pantherposted 13 years ago

It's probably a coincidence, but I wouldn't worry about your hubscore.

In terms of SEO, I think Google likes it if there's a relavent Youtube video on your hub.

Cheers!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so also. I think relevancy is most important in considering videos. I found an interesting page on the google website about speed and how fast youtube videos run in different areas. It gives a comparison chart starting with your own location.  http://code.google.com/speed/

Thanks for the helpful site.

The YouTube video was relevant but was large and did take a long time to load. Maybe that didn't matter. I do hope that videos make a difference since I've been adding a few to older hubs.

9. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

Hi Pegcole17

Sometimes with updated content it will do the google step for a few days until google decides where to move it up to in the search page. It usually improves slightly or settles back after a few days.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.... Unless hijacked by Aliens smile

You get the award for an answer that makes the most sense. Who knew?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)