Everyone can upload Videos to HubPages now!

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 60 discussions (173 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Hello everyone,

Major announcement - HubPages Video is now live!

You can upload Videos - which will be similar to popular YouTube and Vimeo videos in that they autoplay and can be embedded on other sites.

HubPages Video is better than YouTube or Vimeo, though, since: (1) you can begin earning through Videos via our Ad Program (the ads are currently served up through Google); and, (2) you can embellish them with all the Capsules we provide on HubPages, so your Video will be a much richer resource to viewers. HubPages Videos are automatically embedded with hidden microdata that enables your Video to show a thumbnail in Google search results.

To start, just start a new Hub, and select the Video layout in step 4 of the Hub creation page. Then, when you enter the editing tool, you'll see a button in the new HubPages Video Capsule to upload your video from your computer. Once your Video is fully uploaded, you can begin outfitting your Hub with other complementary Capsules, and when you get an email saying your Video is processed and ready to go, you can publish it!

In the Learning Center, we have 2 new entries:
    How Videos on HubPages Works
    How to Publish a Video on HubPages

Have fun with this new feature, and be sure to check out Simone's blog post about HubPages Videos, and Norah's on Video moderation standards.

1. urmilashukla23 profile image65
      urmilashukla23posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awesome feature! Thank you.

2. aza yue profile image60
      aza yueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow,so wonderful. People can see interesting videos in hubpages now.

3. goodfor-Batman profile image60
      goodfor-Batmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The First time I tried to Post my New Video about the Batman
      Tv Show back in the Sixties, it failed but I finally got it uploaded, thanks.

4. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@ Jason, I was wondering we could have it so that the video could be edited, such changing the video or reloading similar to the regular video capsule.

After uploading a video the other day I wanted to change the music but when I logged in I realize that it was a done deal. It would be nice to be able to do minor changes like that.

1. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can re-upload with the new music and then 'change' the chosen video in the hub.

1. Cardisa profile image89

Thanks SimeyC, I couldn't see anything where it says choose tab on left.

2. Jason Menayan profile image59
          Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that will work. smile

Thanks Jason.

5. veggie-mom profile image69
      veggie-momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Jason, if we have already started a regular hub, is there a way to change it into a video hub? Also, I uploaded some videos and received an email notification that they have been processed, but when I got to /my/videos/gallery, I get the message 'No videos found'.

Thanks for your help!

I'm afraid not yet. You can create a Video, and copy-and-paste over elements from the Hub that you had created, though.

That's odd. Sorry about this. I'll check with engineering to see what happened.

Veggie-mom: It looks like the videos are now (belatedly) available. Engineering will have a look to see why you got an email saying the video was done processing, when in fact it hadn't yet.

1. veggie-mom profile image69
            veggie-momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason,
            Thanks so much for following up, I actually am working on my hub right now, so I just re-uploaded the videos. I thought maybe they would be available after I came home from work today from earlier this morning, but they were not. Please let me know if there is any troubleshooting/testing, I can help your team with. Thanks!

OK - good to know! So the first uploads failed somehow. I'm glad that the second upload worked for you so you can work on those Videos, but we'll see what went wrong the first time.

6. jtrader profile image36
      jtraderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How well do the HubPages videos rank in SERPs, in comparison to text hubs?

2. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

A great feat indeed smile thank you HP team. Now, just got to learn about making video's tongue lol

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Jason, is their a certain format we have to use for videos to upload?
    I like to use powerpoint in different ways and have made a video before with ppt.
    I also read the blog and the articles in the Learning Center. Please clarify whether we actually can upload a video and then add it to a hub or is it Only when we create a hub with a video?
    I have a hub I have been working on and not yet published that I would like to add one or more videos to. I would like the video located down the page to add to the article, not have it on top of the hub.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also...will Adsense Ads be used with videos or just the Ad Program?

Ads on HubPages Videos (i.e. prerolls & overlays) will only be served through the Ad Program (although our primary partner now is Google). However, other ads shown on the page will depend on what affiliates you have enabled.

I use Adsense since I have made more through them than the Ad program.

Most video formats in common use are supported as of now. I'll try to get a comprehensive list.

You must start a Video from the very beginning; you can not currently convert a Hub into a HubPages Video, or add it to a Hub you've begun working on.

Also, since HubPages Videos are primarily video, the video shows up full-width at the top and can not be changed (much like in a YouTube or Vimeo video).

Thanks for the clarifications Jason. I will upload the vdeos I want to YouTube and then use in a video capsule for hubs already published or started.

2. Debby Bruck profile image65
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for explaining those important points. Thus, we won't see the option to create and insert a video unless we begin a brand new Hubpages.

3. SOE profile image57
        SOEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Would it be possible to get a list of codecs that are supported for conversion as well?

4. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Awesome, Jason!  I will definitely give the HP video a try. smile

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Oh.  Well, since I'm still in the baby-steps process of even learning to work with and edit digital video (I'm from the old-school VHS tape editing process, which for me, was easier), I doubt I'll be uploading much in that realm;
    I don't even use my video camera very much, since the VHS format went away.  ...

However, I'm "kind of" disappointed that we won't be able to use our own videos as an embedded item in a video capsule, as we now do with relevant You Tube or Vimeo ones that we find to share. ...

So, I guess if we still want to do things that way, then we must first upload our own videos to one of those other sites, then share it back to our articles from there....  ...  (seems a bit convoluted...)

6. urmilashukla23 profile image65
    urmilashukla23posted 12 years ago

Interesting! I am so excited. Thank you Jason Menayan! Take care.

7. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

So funny - I just found this thread, after creating a new video this evening, posting it to YouTube and coming back over here to check things out before I started the Hub it was intended for.

So now I've gone back and deleted the one on YouTube.  It was there for all of 11 minutes.  I hope it didn't get indexed in that short time!!! (no, I'm not really worried - just laughing.)

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I've been wanting to write a review of my new digital camera, and while I have the photos taken (of what the camera is capable of) it would obviously be a big selling point if I can show the quality of videos it can take.

My problem is that I have nothing to take a video of (at the moment) so can I just upload a 'sample video', if you like to call it that, of nothing in particular, just to show the picture quality?

Also, can I choose 'video hub', write the hub, then add in the video when I have one I am reasonably happy with. I mean, the quality is great of all the videos I've taken so far, but they are exceptionally boring and It would be quite nice to leave off publication until such a time when I have an interesting clip to share.

Everytime I go outside, the dogs follow me, and one is on heat and the other keeps trying to hump it which isn't going to happen seeing as the bitch is far bigger than the dog. I don't suppose any of those clips are going to be acceptable lol, but they keep getting the way of the camera!

Without the dogs we are only looking at moving photos really because there is no other life to talk of.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you can do that Izzy. I've got some video hubpages just waiting for a video to add to it,

Also you can edit videos from different files and do intros or anything, even mash up separate video and photo files together and don't forget you can usually add audio after you have shot the video footage and showing all the main features of the video camera would make a great lead in video.

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What software would I need to edit videos, Wayne? Any you could recommend?

IzzyM: I use Microsoft Video Editor  - it's free and pretty decent. Allows you to add effects, text and combine several videos together!

2. Wayne Tully profile image66
          Wayne Tullyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use Windows live movie maker which is just great...free download from microsoft if you have the old version....the timeline is easy enough with drag and drop or uploading your files in order to create a sequence!

9. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

How about list of acceptable file formats ?

10. twentyfive profile image78
    twentyfiveposted 12 years ago

Oh wow, this is amazing smile Thank you Team Hubpages smile

11. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Oh wow! This is great. I can now make tutorials big_smile

12. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Hi Jason, I was just wondering if I'd be allowed to make videos of me solving some problems (maths and physics based?) I have another website that I use text (takes long to type equations) and it gets google hits. So, if I use videos it would be better I guess. Just wanted to know if it would be fine big_smile

PS: - Forgot to mention, there would be text as well along with the video and not just a video big_smile
    I never liked uploading to youtube so refrained from making any videos.

13. chamilj profile image60
    chamiljposted 12 years ago

Excellent value addition to Hub Pages. Thank you very much!

14. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Quick Question: what format should I post my video in? Should it be widescreen?

I note that some videos I upload get 'smaller' when played in IE - and for some reason do not play on Firefox - there's an example of this on my recent World of Tanks Scouting Video Hub...not sure if I'm the only one with the problem?

1. Wayne Tully profile image66

I think if you create your video in HD format that should be enough resolution to fill the full video capsule...still playing around with it. so not 100% sure!

15. soni2006 profile image79
    soni2006posted 12 years ago

Though I am already approved in the youtube partner program and integrated adsense into it but I always dreamed if HP can have a direct video upload system. You have made my day today HP. Thank you so much. We love you. Muuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.....

16. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Thanks you both! I went to download it, but then found it was already on my computer in a folder called Windows Live. I'm playing around with it now, and just found out one of my dogs can talk..wow!

I had this short clip of them fighting over a stick, and right in the middle the wee dog said something. It sounds like "(yum yum) no digame", which is Spanish for "don't talk to me", or "you don't say" (depending how it is said). I've subtitled it LOL

Now...Youtube or Hub video?..decisions, decisions!

I mean a talking dog for selling a camera? Seems a waste unless he said "Buy this camera now because it's great"! In which case...

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do we have to do one or the other?  Why not both?

I have an upcoming Hub that uses both... no reason not to!

Well, I meant why not also post the video on YouTube..  obviously you would only do that when the video doesn't need a lot of explanatory text and other images.

I guess HP will argue the same as posting your content on here and on other sites - while it's not against HPs TOS, it tends to not get shown in Google - not sure if the same logic applies to Videos as it's harder to tell if a video is a duplicate....

In the beta thread, they said it's ok for now.

Someone else pointed out that visitors are likely to repost good videos without permission and it could be harder to find those.

I would think the extra text/pictures etc. would make it stronger here for general searching but I'd hate giving up revenue from people searching YouTube directly.

I don't see a problem with it - however, when I search for videos my 'HP' video comes up along with Youtube videos - so I could essentially see my video twice - not sure how that would be perceived by someone searching?

2. Aficionada profile image78
                Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So I didn't actualy have to remove my new video from YouTube, then?  I guess I'll just go and put it back there too.  But what does the "for now" part mean, really?  How soon might that be likely to change?

2. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It never occurred to me to use both. I forgot this isn't text so doesn't have to be exclusive.

Off to open a youtube account!

17. QueenOfTheHouse profile image63
    QueenOfTheHouseposted 12 years ago

Ooo how exciting! Videos can add so much to an article smile Can't wait to upload something!

18. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Something I can't find:  what's the size limit for HP videos?

I think it tells you when you begin a 'video' Hub - I seem to remember it says no more than 35 minutes long - not sure what the MB requirement is though - pretty big I think!

1 gig

Whoah - that's a big video!

Well, maybe not with HD, but still..

Let's see, the one I did just now was 5 minutes and just under 50 MB - so I could produce an epic hour and a half of gripping video.. 

Well, an hour and a half of video, anyway smile

1. Wayne Tully profile image66

think the time limit is 25 mins though

I don't think my recording software can do more than 25 minutes anyway..

If you use Windows live movie thingy - you can join multiple videos together!

I don't use Windows except under protest smile

But yes, I can join videos together with iMovie on my Mac - add in stills, etc.  But seriously, I can't imagine making a video longer than 20 minutes - even that it a bit much to ask the average viewer to sit still for.  My plan is to stay under ten minutes (I think).

I agree - I thought about doing long 'tutorial' videos - but then, if someone is interested in the tutorial it would benefit me to split it up. So I could essentially do several 'chapters' to the video tutorial - also this would allow me to create a main article and allow the user to go directly to the Hub they are interested rather than looking through a long video!

19. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 12 years ago

Just been and looked at a few of these new 'Video' hubs.  For some reason they are not playing for me, I just got a black box where the video should be.  What am I doing wrong?

Are you using Firefox? I have this problem at home - have to use IE9 to view them...thought it was just me!

1. andyoz profile image87
        andyozposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can't vue on firefox or IE

Can you share as much information as possible? What OS you're using (specifically), what browser version, what you're experiencing (how long you're waiting), etc.

Hi Jason.  Im using Windows 7 and IE 9 although also tried using firefox and had the same result.  The page loads up and the box at the top that I assume is the video just displays as a large black box.  I left it open for around ten minutes and nothing happens.  When I hover over it I get no messages, it just a black empty box.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
              lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have the same problem when I try to view the video in Firefox. It works fine on Chrome. I checked Pcnuix's video. Gave me a black box with error #2032

I use windows 7 if it helps.

Just checked on Opera it loads but doesn't play.

Just had a look on Crome, it plays over there fine.  But not on IE or firefox

aha - Google changes it's privacy settings today and suddenly FF and IE aren't working properly but Chrome is? Do I see a conspicary here???!!! big_smile

2. lobobrandon profile image87

Yup works on Chrome and no where else for me.

2. Pcunix profile image91

I just checked my first effort with Firefox (I usually use Chrome) and it came right up..

i just had a look at your offering, it's still a black box for me sad

20. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 12 years ago

So I guess this means that any video uploaded directly to Hubpages must be pre-edited before uploading.

Then this would exclude using any online video editing service, like OneTrue Media.....?

1. donotfear profile image85
      donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm bumping this up so maybe somebody can give an answer....

The online service doesn't give you the option to save the file locally?

That  OneTrue Media she mentioned certainly says it can "Download to your PC/Mac or iPhone/iPod" but only with a "Premium" membership.  Apparently with the free version you can't - but the free version only does 30 seconds worth of video anyway, so it seems unlikely you'd be using that for this.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/su … n_benefits

2. donotfear profile image85
          donotfearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure...I'm checking it out.

21. SimeyC profile image88

Here's a first for you - the videos work fine on IE7!!!

typical

Have you tried clicking the 'compatible' icon - next to refresh on IE9 - this makes IE9 act like IE8 I believe...

I don't have one of those icons next to the refresh button.

22. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Wow! Hub Pages just impresses me more and more! The videos work on Chrome and IE browser no problem! And on the Mac! Not tested the iPad yet bu I will!

For anyone making a "How to..." Hub with videos attached will just love this brand new format addition! This is a first! I don't believe any other websites offer a special video format that we can earn from like this!

Many thanks, Jason and everyone at Hub Pages for another great innovation! I intend to make good use of it!

Addendum: also works on Firefox 11 on MS Vista OS - (I am on the Firefox Beta program). I watched Simone's videos and they look and sound excellent! I am very impressed at how big the video screen size is too. Full marks for a brilliant feature!

I just tried my iPad - no joy sad

Looks like it knows that it can't play  - the play button turned sideways and crossed out.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6254811.jpg

23. carldavies1234 profile image58
    carldavies1234posted 12 years ago

Cool i will look into this some more. smile

24. incomeguru profile image96
    incomeguruposted 12 years ago

Am glad you guys have added this feature. That shows you really care about increasing our daily income and yours in general. Let me give it a try to see how awesome it is.

25. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

Cool! Thank you!

26. SimeyC profile image88

Videos not working in Firefox 10.0.2

Kinda sucks - I just accidently published my 'next week's' entry for the contest and it has a video - defeats the object of a video hub if no one can view it!!!

I can't view it sad

Simey - I loaded up your recent Skyrim Video on a PC with Firefox 10.0.2 and it loaded and played completely normally, even without loading any plugins (the computer is very rarely updated, and I think is still on XP). Can you share what you're specifically seeing? Maybe it's a plugin conflict?

Found the problem - I had Adobe Flash v10 - updated to Flash v11 and all seems to work!

Hmm good pt. Mines 10 as well..

Never a good idea to ignore Adobe updates. Very poor security record at that company.  Best to keep current .

http://www.informationweek.com/news/sec … /229401422

Agreed - usually I get a prompt to tell me it needs updating - must have missed that one somehow!!!

Yup but the update never came! It usually asks if I want to update.

For me the video just keeps loading and loading whereas I started it on Chrome 5 mins later and it worked fine.

27. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

OK, still good to know. Thanks for letting us know!

28. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

As much as I like this format now available to us, I will have to use HubPages video in one instance and YouTube in others for the following reasons;

HubPages - For when i am happy for autostart videos when someone first views a hub of mine.

YouTube - For when I need the first or second text module on a hub read before a video is started at veiwers descretion. If a video starts before reading, context on the hub is lost.

That's right. HubPages Videos should really be seen as an analogue to YouTube or Vimeo videos, with additional enhancements in the form of Capsules. They shouldn't be seen as just Hubs with a video at the beginning.

29. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I still wish they weren't autoplay though.

I read a hub of Maddie Ruud's this evening about spots. I only read it because I wanted a close look at at how a video should be presented.

No offence, Maddie, but I don't suffer from spots LOL

I watched about half of the video before I turned it off as it was running away with my limited bandwidth, which my company always cuts about half way through the month as I've usually reached my limit by then.

After its cut, I can't watch a video at all unless I am prepared to wait half an hour on it downloading.

Obviously it was my decision to click on a hub that had a video sign beside it. I know, because I am here, that the video would autoplay.

I just feel that HP have become elitist, in assuming that everyone has broadband and that videos autoplaying is fine.

I suppose people will learn that a video sign beside a search icon means it will autoplay and make their own decision as to whether they can click on it or not.

But it's not something I have seen on the web much. I hate when I open a site and a video autoplays.

It happens a lot on news sites.

I want to put a video hub up for others, but I doubt I'll be able to edit it much, so it better be good the first time lol

30. ElizaDoole profile image82
    ElizaDooleposted 12 years ago

Hey great feature one question though:
    Is it possible to add it as a capsule once writing the hub as an additional option? Like the video capsule? I wanted to upload more than one video on my hub that I had made.

Currently, that's not possible. You can add other external videos (like from YouTube and Vimeo) via the Video Capsule, though.

31. American_Choices profile image78
    American_Choicesposted 12 years ago

Jason,

I have been waiting for this!

One of the issues I have had with YouTube is they choose the thumbnail for you.

Will I have the option of what photo is the leading thumbnail?

Do you have a place where can I find more details and ask more questions?

1. American_Choices profile image78
      American_Choicesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oops - cancel the second question - I just finished reading - I was too thrilled with this post and didn't finish reading your first thread.

32. Java Programs profile image59
    Java Programsposted 12 years ago

Yes thats good news .... i am having few of my hubs will post them on hubpages ............

33. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

I made a video that I want to use in a hub. It pertains only to a small portion of a long hub. I don't want it on autoplay, and I don't want it full-width at the beginning of my hub. I also don't want to put it up on Youtube.

So I guess I can't use it in my hub. sad
    I'll have to find some stranger's Youtube hub and borrow theirs instead, correct?

Do I have any other options?

Hubpages Video module supports: BlipTV , Metacafe , Revver , Vimeo , Yahoo! Videos, and YouTube

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simey,

I was hoping to upload it straight from my computer and publish it only on my hub. Oh well, not a big deal I will work something out.

2. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All except Revver as they went out of business long ago...it's a shame as I had a few videos uploaded there myself.

1. Java Programs profile image59
          Java Programsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too .... I have posted there in about 100 + videos . I earned from it but it stopped paying to its a video publishers. I am excited to post on hubapages ....

2. SimeyC profile image88

Methinks HP needs to change the description on the Video Module!

I'm afraid you can't for the time being. You could also check out Vimeo, if you don't want to use YouTube.

34. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

Sounds great going to give video making a whirl, thanks HP.

35. aravindb1982 profile image75
    aravindb1982posted 12 years ago

I posted a video today. And the article following it is completely original. But my hub has been unpublished with the message-

"Not English – Primarily written or recorded in a language other than English"

I am shocked!

The video is not English but it contains subtitling in English.

I don't know what to do. I don't even know how to remove the video from the article. Hubpages makes some things so complicated!

Why is a video in any other language not allowed? Why is there no button to delete an uploaded video??

Please help!

Please have a look at Norah's blog post on HubPages Video content standards for more details:
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/02/video- … standards/

36. JimmieWriter profile image87
    JimmieWriterposted 12 years ago

I need help with videos. I've tried twice to upload a video I took with my iPhone. It is in .mov format.
    Both times, I get an error message -- after a very long upload time -- that says ERROR: The following is not valid JSON.

Once I tried from the hub itself (layout 4 with a video).
    The second time I used the "my videos" section of my account. It said uploaded but then when the screen refreshed, it said no videos.

(I'm on MS Vista; Chrome)

JimmieWriter: This was just a video you shot with your iPhone using the standard camera app? This is really unusual. It looks like something was making it unrecognizable to our video processing algorithm. Anything you can share about how you shot the video, and transferred it to get uploaded, would be really helpful.

37. Mrs. Menagerie profile image90
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 12 years ago

Woohoo!

38. Java Programs profile image59
    Java Programsposted 12 years ago

I am very much excited to post one video on hubpages .... Is there any restriction regarding the content ...... If i place only videos than do they will be marked as low content hubs or i need to add some content also to it .......

Yes, there are standards, which Norah covers in this blog post:
      http://blog.hubpages.com/2012/02/video- … standards/

2. SimeyC profile image88

Great minds think alike - I should have checked the 'stream' before asking my similar question!

39. SimeyC profile image88

Are video hubs allowed to be only Video - or do you still have to comform to all the other 'standard' Hub ideals?

Yes, it must meet those standards as well. A HubPages Video is a video + Hub-like supplementary content beneath it.

40. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Each time I try to load my video to my Hub or to my VIDEO (Account Section), it says, "ERROR."  Now, is something wrong when I filmed the thing on my little Nikon, or what???  My video is only 1 minute and 14 seconds and way under the required length.  It's in MOV--if that helps.  I already tried restarting my computer and refreshing.  Nothing seems to help.  This was supposed to be my "Big Debut," so I'm really disappointed.  I can see the whole thing on my computer, but cannot transfer it to my Hub.

Is there anything except ERROR that you're seeing?

1. diogenes profile image70
        diogenesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Videos are fine and an accepted part of the HP experience. BUT and it's a big but: Too many hubbers are forgetting about written content as they fill their articles with videos.
        Hub pages is primarilly about writing, not downloading something which requires some sourcing but no creative input, unless the video is your own.
        Don't upset poor old Diogenes!

1. profile image0
          writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Hub pages is primarilly about writing". I wish, Bob. How I wish that were true.

The site's businesscase has always been about collating a huge no-cost inventory of the creative input/output of people keen (desperate?) to see themselves 'in print / online / published' (ie all of us, I'm not being cynical here) in whatever form appeals most to the audience Google deems 'quality' (read profitable), to generate maximum financial return for HP - (our non-paying employers).

That used to mean written work, which rapidly evolved into words and pictures, is currently at the point where pics outweigh words, (Read Simone Smith's How to prepare a  HOTD'), and now culminating in 'vids is it'.

Whatever's next, HP will be at the front, because that's the business they're in. The 'revenue from information sharing' business. Not the 'writing' business.

Like you, I hoped there'd always be a significant place for written work. But as the best (ie most profitable)  way to provide revenue-generating information/articles online continues to evolve, writing, as you and I perceive and value it, is in danger of becoming an anachronism.

That's how it seems to me anyway...
          Cheers.
          (Actually, make that 'Regrets'.)

41. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 12 years ago

Excellent work, Jason & the hubpages team! Sure to use this feature.

42. profile image0
    guidetowebposted 12 years ago

Awesome. Now we can upload videos to our Hubs. Great work by Hubapages team !

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let me know if you figure out how to do this. From what I can tell, you can only upload a video from your computer or camera if you are making one of the new HubPages auto-play videos. The only way I have found I can get my own videos into my regular written-article hubs is to put it on Youtube first, then copy/paste the Youtube URL into the video capsule.

43. profile image0

AN ERROR OCCURRED WHILE UPLOADING THE FILE 120.MOV.

I mean, I tried this 6x, and this kept showing up each time the "bar" filled out over the 120.MOV.

Should I completely give up and try filming something else?  Is this common???

Arlene, is the file small enough to email? I can ask engineering to look at the file.

44. profile image0

Auuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhh!!!

45. profile image0

Jason, I am having tantrums over this, so I decided to leave it alone for a few hours because I am not in a place known for a good Internet connection.  As suggested by SmartandFun, I opened a YouTube account and transferred my video there.  Thank you, SmartandFun for the suggestion, because I now have a YouTube video that works, and can be included at the bottom of my Hub.

So I began this Hub with a Hubpages video in mind (and chose that), but now, I can't publish my Hub with my new YouTube video included because I can't get rid of the HubPages video capsule:

YOUR VIDEO HUB MUST CONTAIN A VALID VIDEO.  IF YOUR VIDEO IS BEING PROCESSED, YOU CAN SAVE YOUR WORK AND COME BACK AFTER IT'S FINISHED PROCESSING.

I hit the DISCARD CHANGES "X" several times (like I do with any editing I do).  NOTHING.  That "Your video Hub . . ."  is still there.

So at this point, I have a Hub ready to publish, with text, photographs and a YouTube video.  I cannot remove the original HubPages video that I have chosen at the very beginning.  It is what I had chosen with when I set up this Hub, and the set-up is telling me to publish a Hub video that I don't even have!  Now, for some reason, I cannot remove it and publish what I have.

Life is too short.  I'm chasing another story right now and deal with the tech end later.  Or N-O-T.

I'm afraid if you've chosen to make it a HubPages Video, then that Video can not be converted into a regular Hub, even if does have the same Capsules as a Hub would have.

We're happy to look at your video file to see what's going on, if you want to email it to team@hubpages.com

Otherwise, you can copy and paste the content in your Video to a new Hub and publish it that way.

46. profile image0

Thanks for the offer, Jason, but through this horrible experience, I will bypass selection of the HubPages Video from now on.  It's not worth it that I cannot change my mind when the video meant for HubPages fails.  There is no option for me other than to start this particular Hub all over again.  Which, has been a total waste of my time for a process that is said to be "easy" on the upload.

Sorry it didn't work out.

47. profile image0

I sent you a copy.  I could not believe I already found two glitches in this new process of yours, but it certainly is enough reason for me not to use it.

The first time I tried to upload a video I got an error because I forgot to convert to movie file after editing. I just saved it as a project. I was wondering if you converted the file in the format that HP video accepts. Just wondering.

I have had no problems using the video option so far.

48. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Can you upload more than one video per hub?

I don't think you can add more than one HP video per hub but you can upload more than one though the video link in your account page. There you can choose which one you would like to use. It would be a good idea to have more than one options per hub for HP videos. The second video could be a YouTube. Upload your video to YouTube then paste the link in the video capsule.

49. SOE profile image57
    SOEposted 12 years ago

I've been getting the not valid JSON error when uploading videos. I have tried three different formats so far. a .WMV, a .MP4 and a .WEBM type file, some of the videos I have tried to reupload in different formats. Every time i get this error in either Firefox or Chrome, however after the error there is a bar that says the video was successfully uploaded and a notification that I will get an email when the video is done processing. As of now, I have tried this more than three times, however when checking my videos tab, I see three videos uploaded that are "still processing" without any thumbnails or additional info to designate which video is which or anything like that. Finally, I uploaded these videos around 1:00 PM, EST, and it is now 2:47 AM on the following day. Should they take this long to process if the upload was indeed successful, or are these likely just remnants of a failed upload.

All files are between 50-112 MB and between 1:50 and 5 minutes in length. The WEBM and MP4 files are videos of mine I downloaded from Youtube from my own account using the keepvid tool. The .WMV was made in Windows Live Movie Maker.

Resolutions:
    .WMV - 1280 x 800
    .MP4s and WEBMs are 1152 x 720

Codecs:
    MP4s - Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC || Audio: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
    WEBM - Can't tell at the moment.
    .WMV - Video: WMV3 / WMP v9 (VC-1 Simple/Main) || Audio: 0x0162 (Windows Media Audio 9 Professional)

Going to try a avi upload in Divx/Xvid or x264vfw H.264 MPG-4 AVC and see what happens. Let me know if there's any other info that could be helpful in figuring out whats wrong, if there is something wrong here.

1. JimmieWriter profile image87
      JimmieWriterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This was my problem too. I think there is a problem with the file itself. I tried to upload the video to YouTube and that didn't work either. So even though the video plays fine on my computer it obviously has some type of essential flaw.
      I just gave up. :-( very disappointing. My video was a sewing project. I'll have to make another item to recreate the video.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
        DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have not yet tried this utility, as I'm still struggling on the learning curve with digital editing.  However, my first attempt at uploading something to YouTube was such an exercise in frustration that I gave up and went to Vimeo.
        It sounds as if this new HP utility has as many or more problems as YouTube, so from what I've seen here, I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon.  I'll wait until they get the bugs worked out.
        I'm never the first on the block to leap at new technology in any area--I wait until everything settles down.

P.S.  When I visit a site, I do not like it when videos "autoplay."  I want to read the article first, and then watch the accompanying video, as a supplement to what I've read.  Sometimes, I land on a page, and something distracts me in my real world, and I come back to a video that is halfway through its run time.  That is annoying.  Can we please have the OPTION to turn off autoplay?

1. JimmieWriter profile image87

I totally agree with you about the autoplay. Despise that feature. And yet I want to make a video hub. Sort of contradictory.

2. JimmieWriter profile image87

Just an update on my video that won't upload. I finally did get it uploaded to YouTube. But still getting JSON error when uploading here. I'll just use Youtube instead of making a Video hub.

3. SOE profile image57

It's probably a glitch in the video file that is causing that to happen. Google Xmedia Recode and use it to recode the video as an avi or something with Xvid codecs. The recode should fix any corruptions in the data stream.

2. SOE profile image57

Ok, turns out even though i did get the JSON error, the videos ended up processing fine after 24 hours or so. Also I should point out, its absolutely necessary to hit the finish button after hitting ok on the error pop up, even though it will say completed successfully after. If you don't hit the finish button, the video won't show up in your videos tab.

50. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

The autoplay feature sucks. It's invasive. There was a lot that was said about this when the feature was being introduced. Let mute be the default.

I found a few of these "video" Hubs today, topics of interest to me. But the video played with sound, and I exited immediately.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)