Genre Madness!

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (9 posts)
  1. 6 String Veteran profile image67
    6 String Veteranposted 13 years ago

Genres. Sub-genres. Sub-sub-genres...it's confusing. Contradictory. And often misleading. Sure, there's a need for categorization regarding musics. But this, folks, is madness.

If you want a snapshot of the music industry in all its illogical, separatist glory, just look at some genre names today.

What are some genre names you are aware of that you'd like to share? Do you think this particular categorization is necessary--why / why not? Finally, do a little research and give the Industry Definition of your genre name(s) if you can find it/them.

1. profile image0
      Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must agree it is rather over the top and ridiculous. In some instances the sub-genres are necessary, such as Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Glam Metal and so on. But when they branch out into more subs of those genres I don't see the point. Black Metal, Death Metal, Core Metal, I think there's even Metal Metal. It doesn't make sense really. They all are the same, except one tiny detail, generally dealing with their band names.

6 String Veteranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the quick response TSM...'Metal Metal'...LOL. So now we're getting into the elements. Maybe I'll name my band Earth Wind Fire and Metal.

On second consideration, the name Metal Metal proves that the 'metal' in metal has no relation to metallurgy (hey, Metalurgy--that's a cool band name. What? Well it's better than Toad and The Wet Sprockets--a real band, unfortunately).

1. profile image0

Haha, well there is a band called Earth Wind Fire. My brother started listening to them, I don't know why. They're like Dragonforce, which I also despise very much.

I don't really know what bands you would consider "Metal Metal" really haha. There's so many genres of metal in general, why make sub "Metal" genre of Metal? It's strange. Then you have Rock, Soft Rock, Alt Rock, Punk Rock and all that. So pointless! Oh, and Country Rock, of all things. That just doesn't fit at all!

EWF (Earth Wind & Fire) are actually a really good (and mega-famous) band. They're known for great grooves, an ultra-tight horn section, and originality.

Check out Shining Star by them if you want. It's a gd ex of what they are known for.

Yeah, Metal Metal is just stpd. A term like that sounds like it's from a movie like Spinal Tap. I could see it now: "Welcome to Metal Metal's debut show! On vocals we have Steel...on guitars is Iron...all basses are covered by Titanium..." LOL.

1. profile image0

Haha, I've heard their stuff. I wasn't too impressed really. The main reason is because they remind me so much of Dragonforce. I can't stand Dragonforce.

Names for bands are becoming less creative these days haha, so I wouldn't doubt it if a band like that gets out there soon!

You really have a dislike of Dragonforce...well, include me too--LOL. Plus I hear they stink live.

2. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The music is dividing into smaller and smaller pieces because it has stopped moving forward and is turning back in on itself, examining itself.  The same has happened to movies with remakes and the same theme treated in many different ways.

This is the end of the postmodern and nobody knows where to go next.  The movement is toward spiritualism in visual arts (where it is not re-examining its own navel) and in society where increasing numbers of people accept the more far fetched notions of religion because the limits of their imagination have been reached.

If you wish to argue this point - where are the genuinely new iconic cartoon characters after the Simpsons, a new break from the old rythms like we had with Bluebeat that became Reggae, where is the new art that cannot break out from its own untidy rooms.

Can you imagine a new beat in your head that works for you , I don't think so.  The concept that is 2012 is the expression of this end time - and the boredom waiting for the new direction.

No dissent at all. Only gratitude for your post.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)