jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What are your favorite genre(s) of music?

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 9 months ago

What are your favorite genre(s) of music?

Do you think a favorite genre is generation related, lifestyle choice, or something else? As you grew older did you lose touch with that genre's growth sticking with the favorites?

2. profile image0
    Ian McKayposted 9 months ago

I grew up loving Madness and still do. However, back then, I hated heavy rock and metal, but love it now. That's quite a large jump from the two different genres and still enjoying them both lol. I first saw Madness back in 1980, and last time was in 2016, with lots of heavy rock gigs in between smile

3. shanmarie profile image80
    shanmarieposted 9 months ago

My favorite music genre is country. It's been my favorite since probably my preteens and teen years, back in the 90s when it still wasn't as popular. My dad probably introduced me to it. I Also had a cousin who loved Reba McEntire. She played a cassette tape of Reba and I have been a fan of hers ever since. The the genre has more modern pop elements in it than it used to, but it can also be reminiscent of older "oldies but goodies" songs. I am not always as thrilled with the newer songs, but I still follow the genre. I even have the pleasure of interviewing some of the aspiring new artists and I thoroughly enjoy that.

4. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 9 months ago

The Stones have been going - allowing for three or four personnel changes (Stu was a member, but not according to Andrew Oldham, and the odd session musician popping his clogs) - for over fifty years now. Only two full-time members of the band have died on them, although Brian had effectively already left.
    Their fan base averages about forty, although the eldest are my age and the youngest are still not properly out of their nappies. They themselves range from Ron at barely 70 and the eldest, Charlie, is almost an octogenarian. Their combined age is around 300+ but to listen to them you'd think they were still in their 20s. Their musical range covers Blues, Rock, Country Rock, Reggae and some Latin-American.
    I defy anyone to pin them down.
    Aside from that my tastes range from Bachmann Turner Overdrive to Dr Feelgood by way of Beach Boys, Pink Floyd, The Who and The Eagles ...amongst others. A good feel for the geetar, a good rhythm section, horns sometimes, and solid vocals (apologies to Pete Townsend's reedy vocals).

5. profile image59
    Treen Treenposted 9 months ago

I think genre's of music are largely generated led. Music changes with the times.

1. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 9 months agoin reply to this

That's side-stepping the issue, Treen Treen. What was asked is "what are your favourite genres of music?", the accent on 'your'. Let's see what you like, not what others might like years on.