Love God and your neighbor, or just your neighbor

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (56 posts)
  1. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

There is a God.  There is no God. Except for one or two people, most everyone agrees it would be futile to try and prove their position is right.

Many people seem to have a problem with Christianity. I get it.

But it seems to me that Jesus' words on the commandments wouldn't be such a horrible philosophy. Love God. Love your neighbor. If you feel comfortable, do them both. If you don't like the first, do just the second. No harm, no foul.

Can anyone of any belief see anything wrong with this philosophy?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nonbelievers don't understand Godly love...

1. Elzabrad profile image59
        Elzabradposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. getitrite profile image70
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I have a problem with people who choose to love an imaginary being, first, then me second...that's really insulting...and harmful, and foul.

I hope you don't have any problem with me loving Rumpelstiltskin first, then you second.

BTW, you seem to be giving the bible credit for inventing morals...morals definitely pre-date religion.

Prehistoric man had the sense to love his neighbor, if he wanted to survive.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

Again, you are slow on the uptake. It's already become clear to me from the other posts that this concept probably wouldn't be difficult if it weren't for the other guy.

We are all so reasonable. We are all adamantly saying 'I have gotten it right. You have gotten it wrong. Therein lies the problem with the world.'

Egos. What are we to do with them?

1. getitrite profile image70
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WHAT?!!  This is pure drivel.

1. profile image0

Of course it is. You are right.I am wrong. Or maybe I am right. You are wrong. The fact that it is probably somewhere in between is of no consequence to you or, apparently, many others.

3. britneydavidson profile image60
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes love God and neighbour both and inreturn you will get love from both!!!

1. profile image0

Good answer.

2. profile image49
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A good human being should love God and the fellow human beings; the motto expresses it  correctly and I appreciate it.

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Sounds like a good message and if everyone in the world would follow it there wouldn't be wars.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0

Well, ok. But we're feeling the love here.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

War is man's ego. Nothing more.

Whether that man's ego is also deluded or not, comes through their irrational selfish belief. It's ironic, you don't understand the ramifications of your own actions.

What action? Selfish belief. You formed a selfish belief, inside your inner core, yet cannot see that your deception, is you. Everything you do with regards to that belief, is a selfish action, regardless if it looks selfless. The appearances of your actions can be seen, yet you fail to see that too? Hmm.. hmm

Why is selfish? and How is it selfish? How and Why can be summed easily- You are waiting to gain an afterlife, granted to you, for your belief. This means, You automatically become selfish, because you put yourself before others. If you have a belief, then what good are you here? If everything you do comes from being selfish, only for the appearance of selfless, it must be nice being dishonest with yourself.

I'm making no apologies for what I say, but it is a fact. Being selfish is dishonesty at the core. Dishonesty, is evil, in a sense. And, 2/3 of the population of the world has the same belief- and people wonder why? lol

The problem on your second part- Love neighbor. You should actually love everyone, not just them. I love humanity. I have no hatred for anyone, and plenty of reason to have. I have compassion for anyone who does not understand. If you don't understand or see who you putting yourself before others isn't hurting others, then it's time to wake up.

That's my thoughts on it.

1. profile image0

Ok. I see you simply want to be argumentative. I'm saying love God if you want. Don't if you don't get the concept.

Your neighbor is everyone. Not a difficult concept for a smart guy such as yourself.

Actually, you managed to catch my first post, before I deleted and re-post. lol

1. profile image0

I know. I saw that. I'll be honest. I've never quite understood your argument that it's selfish to believe in an after life. But your neighbor is everyone. We do agree that we should love everyone. Don't we?

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
            Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

just_curious

In degrees Cagil is right, my thinking that everyone is God is not selfish, so you lead with your own heart first and since we are all co creator with god, it’s all the same. A religious God have a set of rules causing higher degrees of guilt, jails, judging, wars and the list goes on, with punishment worse than the crime.

It’s selfish in the sense their God will not be shared with most of the people on earth and their different Gods and their set of rules in which are impossible to follow. just_curious you may be more successful in being friendly because you’re more flexible than most people. Most Christian are not flexible to an all friendlier world as the people in the world are my Family.

I recommend for people to open up their minds by traveling a different country every year in order minimize and simplified their own set of rules in life. Rather than being trap by the greedy rich tooling religious members and their rules

4. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

OK. Wow. This was fun. I see by the posts, except for one, that everyone wants to make sure everyone else understands it's the other guys fault no one can get along. Thanks for playing. Learned a lot.

It's not about fault. We all have faults. But, in order for an individual to love themselves, you must be honest with yourself about being honest with yourself, so you know exactly who, what, why and how of your life. The when is now, during this life, not something you do later.

People claim a higher moral standard, but when you really look at it, examine it, dissect it and understand the truth of it, it's just an appearance. It's a do as I say, not as I do, type of society, which is destructive. It is selfish based with control.

1. profile image0

Ok. Which was exactly the reason for the question. You don't get the point. I understand. No one else did either. With the exception of one person. We might just be crazy and the rest of those that responded are right.

I cannot see why differences of opinion have to be so important that we can't, at the least, think of our fellow man with compassion. I realize love is farfetched, but whether anyone agrees on the concept of a God, surely we all can see the advantage of changing our views towards each other.

Apparently not. I learn something new every day. Which I  usually find interesting

5. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

Just_Curious,

The world has been against God since the days of Adam and Eve.

Matthew 12:50
    48 He replied to him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?”
    49 Pointing to his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers.
    50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”

Matthew 10:22
    You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.

John 15:18
    [ The World Hates the Disciples ] “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

Being against anything, just joins the problem and the only behavior that penetrates my soul is love and kindness, never allow hate within my circle of relationship.

If your God tell people, accept him as your Father and as your ultimate love or else hell is where you are going. Is that called free will? when you’re not part of his family in heaven to be saved.

When most groups have less wars and murders within their membership group than Christians, who is starting the hate in the first place?

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The fact that anyone would think they were better than the God of all creation is already suffering from a condition that I'm certain God would classify as arrogant.

We can tell ourselves anything, the reality of those statements are only pertinent when others are doing the telling.

Most people on earth do not follow Yahweh, don't you think your GOD  is acting a little too arrogant, or should I say the assume translation from just one book

In The End  Only One Book Will Be The Only One That Matters.

2. profile image0

Spanstar, I appreciate your response. I cannot wrap my head around a belief that anyone would hate me simply for my belief. Not in the world we live in. Non belief is so easy, for so many, in this world. Why would they choose to hate us for something they don't believe in? Why would we hate them for non belief? I cannot understand why this has to stand in the way of people trying to work together to better the world we live in.

6. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

Let me start by saying that God doesn't TELL us to believe in Him.  He gives us the tools to make that decision on our own.  He waits for that decision and is there when we ask Him to come into our lives.  No, we cannot see Him. 

If someone you have heard of but have never actually seen offers you a fantastic gift of money and you have to meet that someone on the other side of the country, wouldn't you at the least check out the offer?  Maybe you would make inquiries to be sure it's not a hoax or maybe you would take that trip across country to make sure that someone really made the offer.  Until you get there you won't be sure of anything, right?  Same with God.  You believe in God and you try to live in a way that God would approve, but you don't know what's on the other side for you.  You only know in your heart and mind what God has promised.  It's called faith.

There are many different denominations of religion and I believe many of them lead to God.  There are however those that promote another living person, even aliens.  These are cults and I personally have no use for them. 

I don't believe that war is a mans ego.  I believe that war is the result of mans selfishness.  Wars start because someone wants what another owns and they can't have it unless they take it away. 

And I have never heard anyone say that Ted Bundy, from so and so Christian church, was found guilty of murder.  Is there someone out there that is keeping track of that?  Is there someone that really believes such craziness?   Christians that murder vs. non-christians that murder?  Really?  I don't think so! There's no validity to that comment.

We are not co-creators.  We were created, by God, in His image.  (and please don't go for the apes thing). 

To love our neighbor is to love God.  To love God is to love our neighbor and all that He created for us.  Of course, mine is only one opinion in our great universe and the question will never be agreed on.  Not here in this lifetime anyway.

7. Bellamie profile image60
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

2012 is coming around just like every other year comes around.

8. profile image51
    sdilawaraliposted 13 years ago

Love is core component of God personality in all religion, this holy feeling "love" makes life like heaven on earth. Love belong to soul not to body, that is the only reason that love can not be satisfied by loving ur self or any single being. Love can be satisfied by connecting ur self to Allah.

9. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

The New International version 2010    Bible scripture

Mark 12

28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
       29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[g] There is no commandment greater than these.”

--------------------
    Acts 4

9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a man who was lame and are being asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 Jesus is

“‘the stone you builders rejected,
       which has become the cornerstone.’[a]

12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

1. Bellamie profile image60
      Bellamieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES!  Thankyou!

Well you're welcome.

2. profile image0

That's a good post spanstar. I agree, for me, that my only hope of salvation will be through Christ. But I have faith in the mercy of God that there are other paths to eternal life for others. It would be too sad for me to think otherwise in the world we live in.

From my traveling of 94 countries and studying history museums everywhere, most people on earth are unaware or ignore Jesus altogether. Just a note, there is even more marijuana smoker in this world than Christians, and  pot is illegal in every country in the world and jailed most.

The Bible said the people who are unaware of Jesus will be judge by their fruits ? . Why not go to parts of the world who unaware of JC, then we can avoid the leading cause of hate, war, murder, jail, guilt, greed and other acts etc... in this World.

Then your fruit will more likely be richer along with the kingdom of heaven is within, poof a better shot at heaven here on earth and the afterlife!! Wow win win!!!

Is natural marijuana concider fruit too

1. profile image0

Ok castle. I thought you liked me. Are you telling me to go away too? Wow. Some just want me off the site. Yout want me out of the country altogether? lol

But seriously. I would disagree with you. Not about the marijuana. That does mellow people out, but I find it hard to believe anyone thinks the main problem with America is Christianity.

Christians saw the need to step in and lay their lives down to help protect the world in both World Wars. The wars since were first supposedly to fight communism, then terrorism. I don't disagree that we as a nation have long lost the moral high ground, but I believe it is simplistic and counter productive to blame it on religion.

USA is 78% Christian what Country is more murderous, plus Sodom and Gomorrah and warlike than them?

Most people do not like war or fighting

I love everyone and you too anyways

1. profile image0

Castle, could you share where your statistics are coming from? I don't think we are more war like. Yes, we aren't walking softly with our big stick anymore; but that has to do with corporate control of our government. Murders? I don't know. What statistics? Wer are not more violent than other first world nations, on the average that I know of. If we are, I'd need proof that it was practicing Christians doing the damage before I blamed them, as a group.

As far as your statement about Sodom and Gomorrah.. I'm not touching That one with a ten foot pole, without some clarification as to what you mean

Just_curious

How is USA like Sodom and Gomorrah?

We all have up and down sides, America has them in extremes. I love America the same as anywhere, yet so much cautious in trust, making it hard to love. My way to bare arms for defenses is using my arms for hugging my neighbor, so, let me hug America first before I say these words.

We know USA is 78% Christians and only 5% of the world's population.  Religious works hand and hand with politics and tooled by the rich militarily complexities. Is it a central belief amongst the main religions that nature was created by God and the Bible presents human dominance over nature?

USA leaves the largest carbon footprint on the face of the earth.  How much of this, is love for nature or science? Since the first Christian, Christopher Columbus, American natives have been reduced down to 2% from their original population in the worst genocide in human history?

Murders US are four times higher homicides compared to Western Continental Europe Countries like Germany, France, Spain or Italy combined.
                Politics

Canada was USA best neighbor and best friend until (born again) Bush decided Englandwas their war bubby and USA’s best friend. Then Canada  trades with USA went sour then Obama won the Nobel peace prize for increasing the war budget to its highest level ever.

Greed
                The Vatican, per capita is the richest country in the world and USA over all the most powerful and wealthiest country in the world. America a 1970s CEO made 25 times more than the average person wage. Today CEO makes 350 times greater than the average income and housing gone up 30 times. Believe me, lawyers, the greedy and Politicians would not want you or the vast majority to know this number one cause of death is poverty, tooled under the name of God.

Jail 25% of the world’s prison is in the America

Military
                WAR is only at number 59th place on the list of actually direct death, of most cause of death. Over all the number one greatest cause of death is poverty worldwide and if we took a fraction of the war budget which is the greatest waste, most expensive cost and solves nothing it would conquer most of the problem of poverty

USA is crippling themselves by outrageous War budgets, where a small fraction of their budget could almost eliminate poverty. Nuclear weapons, for it’s the greatest threat to every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in a sense, is a theft to the poor as poverty is the greatest killer of all. All to show the rest of us, killing people is wrong...

Bullets and missile heads were allowed to kill one million Iraqi on Iraqi's own soil, No Iraqi has killed a single American on their soil; Thank God Iraq didn’t kill a million American on their soil. There are US military bases in 200 countries?

Russia/USA has ownership of 90% of the nuclear warheads in the entire World and the greatest threat to mankind.
                Hey neighbors, the world is my family, please love them too because all you have in life is what you give away . Give love, not bombs.

1. profile image0

Castle, I have to tell you. At first glance that post forced me to run upstairs and pull this thing up on a computer so that I could see it better. That doesn't happen ofton. Great post.

You have pointed out many problems we have. I wouldn't begin to argue.  But, I still say we can change that all, if we change our hearts and minds to realize that we are all in this world together.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

2. SpanStar profile image60

Surprise,  Informing the world is one of the reason the church Jesus' church is here.  However it mankind makes it impossible for the church to do that job then "Oh Well Don't Blame God."

God has already stated in the bible knowing mankind's nature he expects there will be a number of people more so headed for hell then Heaven.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Admitting defeat in his ability to create an entire race of non-thinking sycophants, is he?  smile

1. profile image0

I apologize for posting, But believers are not sycophants, nor are they non-thinking. It is an unfair, and unkind thing to accuse them of being.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A sycophant is one who tries to please another in order to gain something, usually personal.

Aren't believers trying to please their gods by worshiping and praising them?

Isn't that also what gods want, for their followers to worship and praise them so they can get into heaven?

Sorry about the non-thinking remark. I know you guys can think. smile

1. profile image0

I don't know. It's more thanks, I think.  I don't personally expect anything in return. I don't know what others expect to gain. But I'm pretty sure you can't brown nose your way into heaven, so to speak.

It just doesn't sound very nice,  the way you put it.

2. profile image0

Hey, you caught me so off guard with this post last night that I was somewhat dumbfounded.  I did not say thank you.  I should have. (By the way, you didn't have to define sycophant. THe word is not unknown to me. It is a word bandied about quite a lot when talking religion)

10. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

It can be very hard to love my neighbour, when they are playing music at 4am and slamming doors so loudly that all my walls shake.  I think Christ would have understood the lack of love in such a situation.

1. profile image0

lol

2. SpanStar profile image60

Truly the things God is followers to do IS Hard.  Can you imagine how rough my life would be if I took Beelzedad serouisly-(Man)!

1. profile image0

hhaaa

Seriously, though, it CAN be very hard to love someone, anyone that you don't even like!   That includes me.   I don't expect everyone to like me.  But I think...I and probably everyone...really wants everyone to care about them as a human being, to love them.  Even if we have to love 'em from a distance...I love a lot of people from a distance! ha.  And I'm sure I'm loved from a distance too lotsa times.  tongue

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
          Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Brenda. It's quite a challenge to love someone with a terrible personality, but with the help of God it can be accomplished. I love everyone. smile

1. profile image0

You've got an exceptionally good heart, Woman.
            Amen.  smile

And you're right.  I learned that once from a neighbor friend of mine, a Christian woman who said it was possible to pray for Love for someone, that God would give us that Love if we wanted it.  That had never occurred to me before;  although I knew God Loved everyone, it was just so hard to imagine loving certain people who were so mean, etc.   I'm talking about Loving their souls.   And she was right, just as you are too.  smile

Thank you Brenda, You have a good heart filled with the wisdom of God. God bless you. big_smile

11. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

How can we say we love God whom we have not seen when we hate our brothers whom we have seen?

The love of God is to love your neighbor as yourself.

Sir Dent, Amen.

12. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

Love your neighbor really comes down to accepting that folk will do bad things because they do not understand their spiritual responsibility.

Nobody who REALLY has an encounter with God will have any problem with NOT holding their neighbor responsible for their actions, and can love them unconditionally,

Like is a whole different thing, but when you understand that someone is a sleaze ball due to their lack of spiritual standing. you can choose to forget what they do, after all they are no more responsible than a dog near a bitch on heat.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)