Disregard what others do and say. How does a human love an Ultimate Reality? How

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. jcressler profile image81
    jcresslerposted 10 years ago

Disregard what others do and say. How does a human love an Ultimate Reality?
    How do you love God?

Jesus clearly states in the Gospel of John, chapters 14 and 15, how to Love God, how to be His friend.
    But how do you love God?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8229713_f260.jpg

2. glynch1 profile image67
    glynch1posted 10 years ago

Jesus said, "If you love Me, you will keep my commandments" (John 14:15). We cannot love God or love the brethren until the Lord brings us into His spiritual family. We can only enter God's family through Christ; He (as God the Son) said that He is the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except by Him. So, do not believe anyone who says that you can become a member of God's family through any other religion or philosophy. Once we are in His family, He enables us by His grace to love Him and His children.

What are some of His commandments? Love one another as I have loved you. Preach the word in season and out of season.  Flee immorality. We cannot obey His word in our own strength; we must rely upon Him as our Master and Savior to live His life through us.

jcresslerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Big 5:
      1. Love God with all your heart and soul.
      2. Treat your neighbor as you would be treated.
      3. Carry the message to the still suffering sinner.
      4. Pray a blessing over every meal .
      5. Baptize in the name of the Father, Son , and Holy Ghost.

glynch1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have some overlap in your "Big 5"--you can do #2 by doing #3. As important as it is to thank God for your food,  I would not place #4 in the same category as the first three. Number 5 comes somewhere between the first three and number four.

3. mrblueishmouvesky profile image42
    mrblueishmouveskyposted 10 years ago

What do you mean by "ultimate reality"? it's a new phrase to my ears, well, eyes smile

Webster's dictionary describes an agnostic as one who holds that an ultimate reality, God, is unknowable and unreachable. As a former agnostic, I agree with this description for many humans and God. After death God is the only reality.

4. Jackie Lynnley profile image84
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 10 years ago

I think you know and love God through the Holy Spirit. God tells us many things but we have to come to know Him through His spirit. The Holy Spirit pulls us and we can accept or deny. Denying to me is blaspheming the Holy Spirit which is the unforgivable sin, to not accept Christ Jesus who died for our sin and left the Holy Spirit for us here until His return.

1. Raitu Disong profile image62
      Raitu Disongposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes i totally agree with you.
      Some unbelievers would ask me to show them proof of God,s existence through science. Only the spirit of God can help them see God.
      Well said:)

I believe that if the Holy Spirit "pulls us," His intention is to save us. We choose Him because He first chooses us. Unless He "drags" us to Himself, we would all go our own way like dumb sheep. It is all sovereign grace, not our acceptance.

5. dianetrotter profile image62
    dianetrotterposted 10 years ago

We should love God with all our hearts, minds, strength and souls.  That love causes us to want to obey Him.  When we disobey Him, we are convicted by His Holy Spirit.  If we are not convicted on a regular basis, that is a possible sign that we do not love Him and are not in fellowship with Him.

1. Oscarlites profile image68
      Oscarlitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

yes. very true.  also very true that we seem to be faced with the same battles everyday. but we will win with Christ in us.  He is our answer. our hope.

6. NoahDriver profile image78
    NoahDriverposted 10 years ago

I know this isn't a complete answer to your question, but I know that God appreciates greatly when a certain level of trust is placed in him.

Storing up Earthly things and possessions and belongings to guard yourself against the dangers of the world shows a certain lack of faith in the being who created all life.

This isn't saying that the values of thrift and patience and far-sightedness aren't well...valuable. It's just to say that a certain quality of life should be out of your hands, and I'd even go as far as to say that the majority or entirety of life should be placed in God's hands if we are truly believing in his power and purity.

Easier said than done though...of course...

7. profile image37
    Jayesefposted 10 years ago

Love is the wish to possess or be one with someone or something. To love an ultimate reality, you should wish to possess or be one with that reality. If that reality is God, you should wish to possess God or be one with Him. When you realize that God is in you and your brethren, you love that Ultimate Reality by loving yourself and your brethren. Since love means to wish to be possess or be with, love should be free from selfishness. When you love yourself and your brethren to the level of being one with the God in you and your brethren, you love God. Thus, to love God love yourself and your fellow-beings.

8. lisalisa00769 profile image71
    lisalisa00769posted 10 years ago

Love God without the inhibitions that come with experiences and knowledge of anything but who you truly want and work toward being in his sight..strive to believe as if you have no experience or knowledge other than what is right and just....strive to truly love and be just to each other in the same way...forget what they do..forget what they have done..you, yourself, make your own choices...and you will truly show through your actions and words everyday that you love God if you put what is right and just in the forefront.

9. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

The basis of love is emotion. You should be essentially an emotional person, a person who wants love, who wants to be loved, who wants to express love, derive joy in giving love, shed tears when you receive unconditional love etc.

Then you should have faith in God; his omnipotence, a faith that he loves you and he hears your prayers and he he would extend a helping hand at the hour of need.

Then you should have experienced his love in some way. A timely help, an unexpected solution to a crisis, an inexplicable turning point in your life for better etc. Those experiences strengthen your faith. That strong faith, combined with emotions can make you love god.

Even if all these exist and still you find it difficult to love God as an Ultimate Reality, then you can love God in human form -- the Avatars. It is far more easier, practical and rewarding.

If you are a Christian, Jesus is the Avatar. By reading his life, by grasping his love of humanity, his teachings etc. -- not once but by reading again and again, you will find your faith getting stronger and stronger on him. If you are an emotional person, you will start loving Jesus. Loving Jesus is same as loving God.

If you are not an emotional person (say, you are more of an intellectual person), perhaps you may not have that sort of "love feel" . Then your relationship with Jesus/ God could be more like an old couple, who have no joy of sex between them, but an undercurrent of a liking for each other's company and a sense of feeling of comfort between them is always existing!

That is indeed a mature form of love with God, though the emotional swings would be absent.

1. glynch1 profile image67

I cannot agree. Love is not an emotion; it is an attitude, an act of the will, that sometimes results in emotion. Please do not put Jesus on the level of an "avatar" with other personalities. He is infinitely above Gandhi or the Buddha.

2. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

glynch1,
      "He is infinitely above Gandhi or the Buddha."
      How do you know?  A staunch Gandhian will say Gandhi is above Jesus. A Buddhist would say Buddha is far above Jesus and Gandhi! 'For a crow, her little crow is golden' says a Tamil proverb!

3. glynch1 profile image67

Gandhi was a mere man who died and remains in the grave; the same with Siddhartha. The Hebrew Scriptures long foretold Jesus' coming. Christ is the infinite personal God-man who proved it by rising from the dead. "Jesus loves me, this I know . . ."

4. C.V.Rajan profile image59
      C.V.Rajanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glynch1,
      Your love for Jesus is quite right, acceptable. But it does not mean God-man like Jesus never existed anywhere. Many yogis in India can get themselves buried and come back to life after several days. It does not really make them God.

5. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

cjrajan--try crucifying them on a cross and piercing their side with a sword and i can guarantee they wont be back.  what a foolish comparison you made.

10. jcressler profile image81
    jcresslerposted 10 years ago

Thanks everyone....The Christian Church is such a wonderful place. Everyone can enjoy their own concept of who God is and how best to love him.
    That hugs, tears, and a lot of talk are either impossible or carry little weight, I go back to the scriptures to find a clear answer:
    If you love me you'll obey me,
    If you are my friend you'll obey my commandments.
    Love one another so the world will see me thru you.
    I love my Lord and savior with a grateful willing heart....but I need prayer to do it!

We can only love Him acceptably when "our concept of who He is" approaches the truth of what He says of Himself in the Bible. Every Christian's love of God is therefore only as pure as is his concept of Him.

11. profile image60
    barrierbreakerposted 10 years ago

I love others by loving myself.  I am a function of the world around me, and thus have a vested interest in its well being that fuels my care and passion for it.

I answered this question, even though I'm an atheist, because a lot of people don't think we can love, for some reason, as we don't believe in God.  I'm just explaining how I do.  I just had a friend get killed by suicide bombers in Iraq, and that intensifies my love for myself as long as I'm here and for others as long as they're here, because one day we will experience our last moment; for me, there is no "happy ever after."  Every second may be my last chance to care and show I care.  That's why I took a few seconds out of my limited life span to let you know that I love you and every person in this world and I hope that we can bridge the divide that religion builds between us.

You claim there is no "happy ever after" for you. If you stay in your current status, that will certainly be true. But what happens if there is an after-life? My! what a gamble on a whim! God gives common grace to all so that even atheists can love.

2. jcressler profile image81

One things is for sure, eternity is what it is; what we choose to believe, not believe, boycott, befriend, or become God's enemy makes not a jot or tittle of difference once we have died. He and it has been there for eons regardless.

12. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 10 years ago

You have to be that 'Ultimate Reality" otherwise you're missing what is available.

13. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

since an ultimate reality is not a scriptural term and has nothing to do with Christianity, we serve a man.   I would say that this is a meaningless and useless question on a Christian Board.   WE serve the man Jesus the Christ, murdered, resurrected and living today. the Creator God.

14. Toytasting profile image59
    Toytastingposted 10 years ago

The best way to love God is to love ourselves. We are his creatures, so why not love him by loving his creation.

15. profile image52
    WATERSTARposted 10 years ago

From, WATERSTAR, MANY PEOPLE is asking That same Question,But are not Willing To Pray and Read The Bible With a Heart Of Love To  Realy Beliving in What The Written Word is Truly Saying To Anyone Who is Willing To Accept The ONE TRUE GOD Of THE BIBLE, You Partly answer Your Own Question Unawere,If you Read The Gospel of ST. JOHN From Chapter 1,Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 and you Still do not KNOW WHO JESUS TRULY IS, Ask A Friend To Help You Pray And Read It Over A Few Times i believe By the fifth Time Of Reading You should Know How To Love GOD Take A Good Liscen To What Some Relogious Faith Quote Of Saying, HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD IF Your Eyes Is Still Close Go And Find A Pentecostal BIBLE BELIVING CHURCH And Go Pay Them A Visit On A Sunday You Will See What The Love Of GOD Is ALL About, JESUS LOVE YOU He gave His Life so as to Save Yours, and i Belive He is Coming Soon for People Just Like You Who Want To LOVE GOD,Keep on beliving, it give hope and hope give Life. BY WATERSTAR:

16. Harishprasad profile image71
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

The answer is very simple. I try to keep myself  free from all prejudices and conditionings either of society or religion and see all humanity as one,created by God. Not only humanity but other forms of existence like animals and plants are to me as one of us,sprang from the same source. Whenever I succeed in this venture in abundance, a very serene feeling of love arises in me and I attribute it to God. The more the such feeling is in me, the more I feel nearness of God. This feeling of nearness to me is like love of God. In fact, this is like  worship of God to me and is like visiting church,synagogue, mosque and temple. This way I love God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)