Who has one?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (43 posts)
  1. StevenPayne profile image60
    StevenPayneposted 13 years ago

Are these animals as easy to care for as I feel like they would be? I have five kids and we would like a pet that can be kept in a cage and is for looking and not touching. I like the idea of a chameleon and have wanted one my whole life. If kept in like a 50 or 100 gallon tank at the right temp. are they much more trouble than feeding, watering and changing the bedding?

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL LOL LOL lol lol lol LOL LOL LOL

You have FIVE KIDS and expect any animal to remain in a cage for LOOKING, not TOUCHING?!!!!

LOL LOL LOL lol lol lol LOL LOL LOL

You're a trip!!!

StevenPayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah some parents actually mantain control of their children and teach them how to behave, isn't that clever?

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Why not just get a hamster?

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was thinking - just didn't know how to put it.

I just took a look on Wikipedia, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to keep a chameleon as a pet. They like to drink from running water, they eat insects, sometimes small bird and other lizards, and I think there's only one that will eat small amounts of salad.

I think they're better left in the wild rather than kept in a terrarium.

2. calpol25 profile image58
      calpol25posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could always get a budgie or a parrot, their caged and funny at the same time smile  I used to have budgies and they were so funny too they would mimic the telephone and every time you left the room they would start mimicking it and make you rush back, I think they were lonely smile

3. Iontach profile image69
    Iontachposted 13 years ago

Things like Lizards get quite boring after a while, you want a sociable cute pet, something to keep you entertained!
    Get an aquarium full of fish, seriously they have so much personality and are just crazy. Or get a hamster, Gerbils (very friendly) or a guinea pig!
    I suppose a Chameleon would be cool though, imagine him changing colours...

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Exotic pets are not easy to care for an easily stressed.  With a lot of kids around I would recommend a domesticated species. Or at least to stat with a small, robust animal like a turtle.

5. Joy56 profile image65
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

so you dont have one then.

1. camlo profile image83

Me?

No, I have a cat called Nero.

6. Joy56 profile image65
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I'd like a cat

1. camlo profile image83

I've had cats since I was four. They're pets that really need us. They're also easy to care for, and very entertaining.

1. Joy56 profile image65
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have had cats in the past, the last one had a death wish, it used to sit under car wheels and not move when the car did.  It had lots of injuries. Plaster Paris on its leg twice, stitches the lot..... I could not go through all that again. It is too sad.

1. camlo profile image83

My first and third cat were run over. Nero always stays at home.

1. Joy56 profile image65

Nero has sense, is he locked in.

2. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That has got to be the cat daftest ever LOL

7. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Hermit crabs and wood cockroaches (I kid you not!) are big here in Oz at the moment. You certainly would not catch me touching a cocky... unless it was with a size 10 flip flop.

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago
    1. profile image0
      Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sea monkeys?!?! Are they still around? Now that takes me back!

9. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I'd suggest a fish tank.  Fun to watch and easy to care for - as long as you always have electricity to keep the tank warm.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree! We used to have aquariums, and I found the fishes fascinating. Soothing to watch, too!

You could get some sea monkeys and feed them to the fish.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sea monkeys?  for some reason I feel like there's a joke behind that....

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sort of, Rafini.  Sea Monkeys are actually tiny brine shrimp hatched from eggs sold in a kit sold for years in comic books and other magazines.

The ads depicted misleading pictures of strange little creatures which look nothing like the actual shrimp.  Check out the link I posted earlier in this thread and you will understand what I mean.

1. Rafini profile image82
            Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  Oh.  lol  Guess I gave myself away...never read a comic book!  lol

2. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never could get my sea monkeys to perform all those tricks depicted in the ads. I must have received stupid sea monkeys!

10. Gets profile image60
    Getsposted 13 years ago

I have a 35 gallon tank. Once you get a tank set up, maintaining it is not that difficult. I would not recommend using tap water. You can buy chemicals to help prepare tab water but I have never had much success in "getting it right" the first time and I've lost a lot of fish. I now only use distilled or purified water,and my fish seem to thrive on it. I've only lost two fish in the past year. Obviously depending on the size tank you buy that could get expensive for your first time. After that it gets less expensive since you only have to replace the water that evaproates over time. I would be careful selecting the fish you want, some are more aggressive than others. Pet Smart or wherever you buy your fish can tell you about that. I enjoy my tank, it does help me relax. They can be fun to watch.

11. Beege215e profile image58
    Beege215eposted 13 years ago

with chameleons you have to watch the humidity, the heat, the types of plants. Oh yeah, they like live plants in their homes. They eat some of them. There should be a heat light at the top of the aquarium and a heat rock on the bottom. Sand for the bottom or small pebbles are acceptable. They don't want to be handled, but they want to be cared for. They do eat crickets,meal worms and the like,green leafy vegetables (celery tops, carrot tops)and you can get pellets for them as well. They need branches to climb on all over the cage and things to hide behind or under.  They are not an "easy" pet, you have to get a lot of things for them, and monitor their environment. But they are totally cool.  I have had several different types.

Thank you for your comment Beege. I have a Sulcata Tortoise, he has been a great pet for the family but is only about as big as a rotery phone yet. We purchased him several years ago when he was no bigger than the palm of my hand. He has not been an "easy" pet either but a joy to have. Maybe using the word "easy" in the question was not the right choice! smile

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

With 5 kids a cat or two is the only solution. They are so much fun when they are small and you can love them and pet them as much as you can!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4303794_f248.jpg

And they have a personality like nothing else.

1. Joy56 profile image65

that cat is cute.

2. StevenPayne profile image60

Sorry Im a cat hater. I think they stink and are dirty.

13. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

They really are only cool for the first couple days, not really a great pet at all. Unless you want to sit there and watch it eat flies. That could be fun.

14. IsadoraPandora profile image79
    IsadoraPandoraposted 13 years ago

What about a praying mantis? A flower mantis would be a neat pet. If the tank is set up correctly they are pretty easy to care for.

Hermit crabs are AWESOME pets too. BUT--when they begin to molt, you may not see them for weeks to months at a time.

http://www.chameleonsonly.com/Chameleon%20Care.htm

With enough research I bet you could keep a chammie without much trouble.

Thanx, I was looking into getting a orchid mantis but I couldn't find a seller in my area and order one meant ordering acouple hundred eggs and I had no interest with becoming a breeder or seller so I past it up. I had fiddler crabs for a while, three, they were fine for about two months. then one day I came home from work and there was one. He was missing a leg and a pincher and scattered about were peices of the other two. Not to longer after the fight Sparticus, which I renamed him after his time in the arena so to speak,  was dead so I gave up on the crabs. But I eventually, once my youngest is about ten so in  like....................ten years lol, plan on building a terranium that is for fish and something on land. Not sure what. But I always thought that would be cool to have a huge, zoo type, enclosure for my animals.

15. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

all I can say is you are doing the right thing "researching first before getting a pet", most maltreated animals came from irresponsible ownership.... I suggest you get one that you really like so you can hanlode what ever hardship that goes along with it.

1. Maria Cecilia profile image83
      Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry typo error I mean Handle

its cool. I meant what you knew. Yes always research the pet before purchase.

16. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Depending on the age of your children and the size of home you have, the pet can vary.

On the farm, we had a variety of pets -- large to small, indoor and outdoor.  We had small finches to chickens, cats to dogs, horses to goats and everything inbetween.

In the city, we now have dogs and small blue finches.  The finches are easy to look after. Small amount of food, fresh water and change the paper for the tray on a daily basis.  My youngest, who is 5, looks after them.  Every so often, we put in fresh fruit and dried greens.  They sing, recognize who we are and even approach the wires.  We don't handle them as they prefer not to be handled, but they love company.  When any of the children sit near them, they sing.  It's very nice.

Dogs are more work -- walks, cleaning up, food, brushing, bathing and the usual stuff.  But worth it as they are affectionate and not afraid to show you.

We've had all kinds of pets, and  birds are the easiest.  Pick the right breed for your climate, keep them away from drafts and feed them a good diet and they will thrive.  smile

17. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Oh yea, sea monkeys never hatched here.....  sad  neither did the triops....  sad

18. caninecrtitics profile image60
    caninecrtiticsposted 13 years ago

Chameleons are very tough to care for especially as babies or juveniles.  Humidity is very important, i have seen some lost because the humidity dropped a little low.  With kids running around that probably not such a great idea because chameleons like quiet and a lot of noise will stress them out.  Feeding and watering are the easiest but can still be difficult.  Veil or Jackson chameleons are probably the more harder species

Veiled and pygmy were the ones I saw last night. I really liked the veiled but they were in a pet store and if I do purchase a Chameleon it will be from a retile exibit.

19. IsadoraPandora profile image79
    IsadoraPandoraposted 13 years ago

Did you decide on a pet yet? Zoo-type enclosures are the best. Nice and beautiful habitats are half the fun of owning pets!

20. JayStand profile image53
    JayStandposted 13 years ago

I have 4 kids, and a variety of pets. 3 cats, a staffordshire terrier, and 2 leopard geckos. And all together i would suggest a dog for a full family such as yours. they are great fun to have around, always do the stupidest things when you least expect it, and if treated right will be a loving, loyal mamber of your family. They are also a good excuse to get the whole family enjoying long walks together, combining fitness aswell as family bonding

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)