Politics of social engineering

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

In case you haven't heard, the "battle for the budget" is not about money. That has been agreed upon.
    The battle is about 40 to 50 riders which the Tea-Party Republicans have attached to the CR.
    The government shut-down is being played out because they want an end to Planned Parenthood and the Clean Air Act.

So, when they tell you "The liberals want to shut the gvt down!!"
    It's a lie. Democrats don't want healthcare for women and the air we breathe to be the sacrificial pigs to the Republican social agenda.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So what you're saying is that it IS about the budget, but the Democrats are making it sound like other things?

Don't try to hide- I can sniff out the Dems just as easily as I can sniff out the Neo-Cons.

lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it's about implementing the Tea Party social agenda....

No abortion,
        No environmental regulations

OR ELSE.No budget.

End funding for Planned Parenthood, and The Clean Air Act, or we shut it down.

"or else"

The "or else" part of the equation doesn't apply JUST to the tea party, it applies to all government.

Nice try though.

You're an anarchist who refuses to admit it because you still call yourself a democrat.

1. profile image52
            33rdn8thposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see your point, but the ultimatums are only coming from one side on this one.  My predicstion, Gov't shutdown today, and it ends by Tuesday.  Most government workers lose one day's pay.  It will likely be for nothing as well, becacuse the riders will not be a paret of the deal.

My question is this, the shutdown is a relatively small issue compared with the debt ceiling and the 2012 budget, how far will the right try to go on those if they are playing such hardball on riders?  In many ways its a replay of 96 and we all saw what the result was then.

Exactly!
              They are cutting only 12% of discretionary spending! 88% of the budget they are leaving out!

They are cherry-picking who gets hurt, to appease their base:
              Christian Coalition Neo-cons, and Koch Industries.

It's social engineering, and social devastation for the poor and people with no voice: ie: MONEY!!!

Yes, let's not forget LIHEAP, Obama!!

Make those seniors freeze or eat...cause YOU KNOW Russshhhhhhh just needs that extra 2 mil! (57 isn't enough.....OH the pain!!)

So, let me see...cut planned parenhood, or we don't pay soldiers....then say SEE! Democrats hate the military!

Sleaze beyond sleaze.....but what do you expect from a party that names itself tea-baggers?

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

if you want less spending, then shutting down the government for a few days is a great way to save money!

2. lovemychris profile image76

No, I'm a Democrat who sees them as the only ones who care about people over profits.

Rofl.

Then you're a hypocrite.

"Or else" was used by the Democrats to pass ObamaCare.

I'll catch you contradicting yourself, again, very soon.

I do believe the Dems care more about people than the Repubs.
                And--I thought reconciliation was used for the HC bill....like Bush did for his tax-cuts?
                Are you saying it's the same thing?

How can you believe that the Dems care more about the people than the Repubs?

the liberals say "I want to pay for X", and the Repubs generally say "Not with my money, you won't!"

If the government offers to buy X for you with your money, then you're worse off --- unless X is EXACTLY what you were planning to buy at the exact moment you got it.

Lawrence O’Donnell On Planned Parenthood http://dlvr.it/Mq3dg

3. lovemychris profile image76

"The Natural Resources Defense Council  (NRDC) also targeted Republicans Thursday, chastising GOP leadership for being willing to allow a government shutdown in an effort to put public health at risk.

“By attaching irrelevant anti-environmental riders to a spending bill that must pass to keep the government operating beyond Friday night, these politicians are showing they’re willing to hold the country hostage just to advance their narrow political agenda, with shameful disregard for the health, the economy and the people of America, said Scott Slesinger, legislative director at the NRDC."

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/07/envir … z1IvOLq5lx

Any geuss as to who the anti-environment riders help???

4. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

You're right, LMC, we evil Republicans want to poison the air, kill old people, and take away kids' lunches at school, and remove those "do not remove under penalty of law" tags from mattresses....etc etc.....

Does anybody else see just exactly how dumb this all sounds?

I'm no fan of the Democrats, but it makes me cringe just as much when I hear people accusing them of wanting to "destroy America".

Both sides are stupid because they accuse the other side of doing what they do themselves.

It's a symptom of government: Give a group of people monopoly control of stealing and military. Guess what you get?

I do not believe they are the same...no matter how hard you try and push that point!

It's the evil Tea-Baggers, or don't you see a difference?
      Just like I can't stand the Blue-Dog Democrats...get it?

5. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

President Zero is foregoing a planned trip to Colonial Williamsburg in favor of staying in Washington for the chance to cut off military pay.

What a great guy.

Looks like the plan worked! Obama's spending less money flying to places he really doesn't need to be going to!

6. lovemychris profile image76

Look at these 2 kids...they made a really cool video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKwvl23 … re=related

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

All those freshmen congresspeople sure are getting a trial by fire. I hope they're paying attention to how the big boys and girls NEGOTIATE.
    I demand THIS! To get it, I'm willing to concede a tiny part of THAT. But only if I get the FULL THIS!
    Nuh uh. I will never concede THIS to you! But I might concede THIS if you agree to giving up THAT over there.
    Not a chance, bucko. I feel very strongly about my position on THAT. I MUST get THAT because my constituents elected to get THAT for them.
    Ok then, so what will you bring to the table?
    Well, as I said, THIS is not negotiable.
    What are YOU gonna give ME?
    Name a figure. I'll meet you in the middle on the dollars.
    No. It has to be the dollars I say AND the riders I demand.
    How about if I give you more dollars in exchange for one of the riders?
    Forgedaboudit, pal.
    It's my way or else.
    I'll shut down this government and blame it on YOU! Because I blame EVERYTHING on YOU!
    Sorry. No deal. I've already met your money terms. I've offered to give you more money. But I can't go for the rider.
    So I guess we're done here.
    Go right ahead. Shut down the government if you must.
    But the American people will know it was YOU who shut it down.
    Yeah. Good luck with that....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)