Have republicans lost their sense of humor?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (51 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image72
    pagesvoiceposted 7 years ago

Have republicans lost their sense of humor?

Jimmy Kimmel’s performance last evening during the Academy Awards was absolutely hysterical. However, the internet trolls hated his comedy routine and claim he made the show more about politics. We live in a political world now and satire is normally a welcomed form of entertainment. Satire has been around for at least 2,400-years when Greek dramatist Aristophanes, sometimes called the father of comedy, satirized Athenian leaders and their conduct of the Peloponnesian War. Have we now become so thin-skinned that we can no longer laugh at our politicians?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

Dennis, The democrats and the elite celebrities have gone beyond satire into social engineering. For some reason a lot of people think that celebrities are smart, knowledgeable about politics, but that is why it is not satire as well.

Mark Dice did a piece on his you tube channel. He was on a crowded beach and he asked people loaded questions. The load was using celebrities like Beyonce as the impetus of the question. And no matter how ridiculous the question, the people said yes, the celebrities must know.

There are too many people that can't separate reality from satire or whatever it is that these celebrities are doing. They are supposed to be getting awards for their business, a business which I find pathetic. They should spend more time on their craft and less in social engineering.

They are the elite, overpayed, underperforming, and just not entertaining. A lot of the latter is due to slip shod writing, producing and directing. They couldn't even orchestrate providing the correct answer for the best picture.

It is not thin skinned, it is about the latest generations being academic but without little or any common sense. That is one of the reasons why parents have to cover their medical insurance until they are 26.

Entertainment today is like the news, neither is real. TV shows are really trying to subliminally affect the minds of the viewers to conform with their ideology. I call it, social engineering.

It uses the well established methods of sales and marketing to make their product being accepted and bought by the viewer.

Repetition is a key element. Like how people that first go to work in a Trauma Center. At first, they are repulsed by the blood, the horrific sights of human agony and desperation, and the fatality of life lost in an instant. But after days of being exposed to this environment, they are acclimated and adjusted to it. They will eat in their blood soaked uniforms, and even after seeing people die.

del if wish

1. Misfit Chick profile image76
      Misfit Chickposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Putting a label on it makes it sound so SMART, LoL! Its been around for centuries, part of human culture across the board & NEVER going away. That's why thinking for yourself will always be necessary & being able to laugh at yourself is cruci

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Misfit
      Did you even read the content of my comment. And making your comment a personal attack doesn't make a cogent argument.
      bye

3. Misfit Chick profile image76

I read it, which was why I replied like I did. Was it rude to say that the label made it sound smart? I know, many GOP don't appreciate brains. I've really been enjoying a much more non-PC attitude since Trump made it ok. It does make things more fun

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Misfit
      It just wasn't what my comment was about

5. Misfit Chick profile image76

My comment addresses you seeming to think this new social situation is NEW. Politicians, Media & Celebrities have always tried to manipulate masses. Sometimes they succeed. Free thinkers have more say today but stifling is still a danger.

6. Oztinato profile image75
      Oztinatoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Er Brad, Donald is a celebrity who uses social engineering.
      Get it yet? No not yet?

7. lions44 profile image95
      lions44posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Mark Dice is a complete moron.  Are you kidding? Is it the same Dice that thinks 9/11 was an inside job? Screaming about the Illuminati? I'm assuming so. Catherine, don't bother.

8. pagesvoice profile image72
      pagesvoiceposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As a conspiracy theorist, Mark Dice has zero credibility. Webster's defines "elite" as people who have the most power, wealth, and success. Trump and his cabinet choices are the true elites.

3. Misfit Chick profile image76
    Misfit Chickposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13425541_f260.jpg

Republican's have a sense of humor, its just more like your uncles who are overly-fond of the 'pull my finger' joke or children arguing like they do: "I know you are but what am I?!"

Their humor is as inappropriate as their twisted ideals & double-standards. Plus, (this has ALWAYS been a GOP trait) they don't like to be made fun of, as a rule. Its considered to be sacreligious & unpatriotic - basically, their idea of bad taste.

Not being fans of diversity (and even afraid of it), they listen to only one kind of voice and can't laugh at themselves - although they have certainly been enjoying the new non-PC attitudes that Trump brought back into the mainstream. Except, they really don't like it when the non-PC is against them, LoL! Go figure...

1. Misfit Chick profile image76

Maybe you've heard about this satirical website, its freakin hysterical! The funniest thing about it is how it has twisted the bloomers of so many T-fans they can hardly pull them down to take a pee! smile http://www.hillarybeattrump.org/

2. Readmikenow profile image93
      Readmikenowposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Republicans have a sense of humor.  We laugh every time liberals or members of the Democrat party tries to make themselves relevant.  Now THAT is funny!

3. pagesvoice profile image72

Catherine - I think you really touched upon something regarding not being politically correct now. Those on the right just don't know how to handle democrats who fight dirty like they do. I'm in your corner.

4. Misfit Chick profile image76

I used to be right-wing, so I get it & feel that I have the right to make fun of them. We are relevant, just sleepers waking up. Thanks for that. Really. Wait till Trump-backlash hits next elections. GOP majority won't last. It'll be SO FUNNY!

5. pagesvoice profile image72

I used to be a registered republican too, but changed after Reagan went after unions and started the nonsensical "trickle down economics."
      Mike - I laugh when those on the right don't understand it's the "Democratic" Party., not "Democrat" party.

6. Ken Burgess profile image80
      Ken Burgessposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The sad thing about all this Trump backlash that you are predicting Catherine, is that when it comes to the corruption, trade agreements & a few others Trump is 100% right... so when they gridlock D.C. the ones who suffer will be you, I,& Ame

7. pagesvoice profile image72

Ken - The sad thing is republicans have blocked us from seeing Trump's tax returns and are resisting an independent investigation into his ties to Russia. That doesn't seem very patriotic to me.

8. Ken Burgess profile image80

Dennis your arguments come across as foolish and petty, I point out that the dysfunction in D.C. is harming all Americans that are not in the 1%, and you want to ignore that statement to point out some trivial tripe... not worth more of my time.

4. Ken Burgess profile image80
    Ken Burgessposted 7 years ago

Just wondering, as I do not watch the Academy Awards, if the jabs at Trump were in proportion to the jabs shot at Obama during his Presidency?

If they were proportionate, then you may have a point... if however, it was taboo to poke fun at Obama, and these same people instead waxed eloquently about him every chance they got, then I would say who-ever reacted to this change in how they treat the new President may be justified.

1. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Whataboutism Tu quoque

2. pagesvoice profile image72

I know you haven't forgotten about the multitude of racial cartoons of monkeys and apes made about Barack, Michelle, and even their children. Remember during Obama's SOU address when a republican shouted, "You lie?" That wasn't satire!

3. Ken Burgess profile image80

Obama did a lot of lying, that's what he was good at, getting up there and reading from a teleprompter... the ACA will save you $2,400 per family, you will keep your doctor ... I will bring the country together and we will sing in perfect harmony.

4. pagesvoice profile image72

The Supreme Liar in Chief is the Russian buddy who is currently in the White House.

5. Ken Burgess profile image80

Well Dennis, I am happy that you will have someone to rail against, and blame for every fault our country has.  It must have been difficult for the last eight years to keep those rose colored glasses on and ignore everything going on for so long.

6. savvydating profile image89
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

And then he wonders why we don't have a sense of humor about so-called "satire" which is nothing more than "sanctimonious" drivel.

7. pagesvoice profile image72

My glasses were clear when 18+ million got insurance under the ACA when unemployment went from 10% to 4.6% with 75 months of steady job growth, deficit cut from 9.8% to 3.2&, saved the auto industry and got Osama bin Laden, with no scandals.

5. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

The 2017 Oscars was the third-least-watched show of the 21st century. Their ratings this year were at an all-time low. Those, like yourself and Catherine, who enjoy mockery and derision, couched under the name of satire, were apparently quite dizzy with laughter….but most people had better things to do, like mop the floor or chop vegetables for dinner---they thought that would be more interesting than listening to sanctimonious speeches from entitled hosts and actors, who barely graduated from high school. But hey, they sure know how to memorize lines, don’t they?

Anyway, the disinterest of the majority of television watchers (nearly 300 million people) tells me most people have lost their sense of humor too, not just Republicans.

Well, at least I hear the Oscars had a funny ending. Something about a mix-up about who actually won Best Picture? All those lofty speeches----only to have mud on their faces afterward. That was probably good for a few laughs. ….or did you suddenly lose your sense of humor after the mud was thrown back in their faces?

1. Ken Burgess profile image80

As someone said, long ago the Oscars were elegant, had class, had real stars... now its a bunch of nobodies, who are celebrities, most of whom can't really act, who like to make statements to all of us about how we should view the world...its crap.

2. savvydating profile image89

Not to mention, their own estates are locked up tighter than a drum. I think their body guards could attest to their lack of inclusion. Otherwise, they'd open their gates to all. It's easy to embrace diversity from their very safe and distant towers.

You shouldn't make assumptions. I was busy making my wife homemade spaghetti sauce, and meatballs, with a tossed salad while my wife watched the runway, Timberlake, and Kimmel. Price Waterhouse Cooper made the error. They are huge  GOP donors.

I haven't watched the Oscars in years & I certainly didn't this year. I DID watch the parts peeps were talking about on YouTube, afterwards. It was kind of fun to have a laugh at your righteous, know-it-all, manipulated expense. smile

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

Hello Dennis,  Long time no see.  Well, if you ask me (and you actually did ask!) I feel just about everyone has lost their sense of humor within the past year.  Such turmoil, disagreement and anger.  It's become unbearable to me.  In fact, about 3 weeks ago, I vowed to stop listening, reading or paying much attention to all the craziness.
    My fingers are crossed that it all begins to calm down and quiet down a bit....sooner rather than later.
    I should think that the average American adult can only tolerate so much of the bitterness, arguing, protesting and general unrest.  I can certainly say I'm overwhelmed and just needed to step back for a while.
    As for the Oscars and Jimmy Kimmel....I'm afraid I didn't see any of it.  I've never been much of a fan of the Academy Awards.  I do like Jimmy Kimmel very much.  I'll probably see some video clips here and there on the awards show last night.  Celebrities, movie stars and people of such astronomical wealth, may as well live planets away from your average, ordinary person like myself.  I may enjoy their talents & like their movies, etc.  but anything they have to say about our country, politics and the issues that  affect all of US ordinaries (But surely NOT any them, at all!)  I would have no interest in whatsoever.  They need to talk with one another, not with me.
    It's good to see you.  Glad you're doing well.  Peace, Paula

1. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Just because  a person is fabulously rich doesn't make that person's comments any more smarter than the rest of us.

2. Ken Burgess profile image80

Jimmy Kimmel is no Johnny Carson

Great to see you too, Paula. I love political satire. It's odd that those on the far right who slung stones, arrows, and racial slurs at Obama suddenly think satire about Donald isn't funny. It's a classic example of double standards.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

In all fairness, I'm taunted that I'm a living "double standard" simply 4 being an Independent. I voted 4 BHO!  LOL..so, if I threw stones, it was at myself!  Satire & politicians have been a thing forever. I hope we never lose our sense of humor

Paula - I was originally a republican, but after Reagan I switched to the Democratic party. I'm an independent voter but not registered as one because I would be prohibited from voting in the primaries.

6. fpherj48 profile image60

I'm vocal & proud 2B Independent & register as such. Primaries be damned. I can implicitly trust my gut. Every single candidate I have ever voted for, has been the victor. That's a record I can rely upon. If it works, don't change it!

7. savvydating profile image89

Paula, as you well know, Obama won last time around, but American's lost because of him. So, it is not about picking the 'winner' unless America and Americans win too.

8. Misfit Chick profile image76

American's didn't lose bcuz of Obama - just a handful of peeps like you have been brainwashed to believe that. You've jumped thru all their hoops right on que. Soon it will be time to bark along with the cartoon music. I'm enjoying the show. smile

9. fpherj48 profile image60

Quite right, Yves.....thus my comment about throwing stones at myself.  My intent was to merely state that I always choose the one who wins..not necessarily does a great job! Catherine, UR frustration tantrums R immature & annoying. Shut it!

10. pagesvoice profile image72

I think that having the ability to change our beliefs based on new information truly makes us independent free thinkers. That's just my two cents.

11. savvydating profile image89

Lol. I hadn't read the "throwing stones" comment, Paula. Thanks for the explanation.
      Dennis....I wasn't raised Republican. I chose Republican.

12. Misfit Chick profile image76

Shut it? LoL! I'm just getting started... I've been a good PC girl for far too long; and T-fans have released the bad girl, within. Their mouthy leader gave us all permission a while ago, I'm just now catching up. Why should I play nice?

7. Jennifer Mugrage profile image72
    Jennifer Mugrageposted 7 years ago

What people find funny depends a lot on their values.  There's a reason we say, "It's funny because it's true."  We laugh when we feel the joke has hit a nerve. 

For that reason, people with incommensurable world views will not find the same things funny. 

For example, I don't find anything funny that turns on the assumption that all whites are racist.  This is so far from my personal experience that it doesn't have the ring of truth.  It just seems like a gut punch coming out of left field.

There are some conservative comedians who get called Nazis.  It's the same problem ... incommensurable world views. 

So no, sir, I have not lost my sense of humor.  It's just that it's impossible to joke with people who are not even on the same planet as yourself philosophically.   There has to be at least a smidge of common experience to joke about.

1. savvydating profile image89

I don't think we laugh when something has hit a nerve. I think that is when we stop laughing. That being said, there is nothing funny about ignorance 'sold' as satire. Some have no idea of the difference between humor & bullying. And so they laug

2. Misfit Chick profile image76

Long time since TV humor has been clean & non-offensive. We laugh when a nerve hits the OTHER person - its funny to hurt or embarrass others, right? It also makes the jokers 'feel heard'. We probably shouldn't expect the jokies to laugh.

3. savvydating profile image89

I'm not surprised that is your definition of humor.

Not my definition - stop acting like you don't know what the humor of hollywood is like. SNL & any popular comedian you have heard of. They aren't nice cuz 'nice-funny' doesn't make money; nor does it offend people or make them think.

Yves - Trying to distinguish the difference between humor and bullying is oddly humorous (not in a satirical way) considering we have the biggest bully of our time now occupying the Oval Office. Apparently, some have blinders on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)