Ways to better your life by changing the way you think.

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    danmitposted 13 years ago

I just wrote a hub which gives one way to better your life by changing the way you think. Basically, the hub said to view a negative feeling or emotion as a call to action. Can anyone else recommend any goods ways one can change their thinking to better their life?

1. carcro profile image90
      carcroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To believe we are meant to suffer and struggle is wrong thinking. Everything you desire can be manifested from within. If you think it, feel it and believe it you can make it happen. Since all things created are the result of someones thoughts, it makes sense that we are very powerful, we just don't realize our true potential. Even though it is extremely difficult, it is well worth the effort to control your thoughts, keep out the negative. For whether you think positive or negative thoughts, what you are thinking is what you are bringing closer to you. Try a little meditation every day, goes a long way to clear your head of distractions.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like that! smile smile

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Could but a little complicated for here. And most people don't want to do the work,
    analysis, and rather just do drugs.

3. firerie profile image59
    firerieposted 13 years ago

I find that a way to reverse negative thinking to positive is to think of ways/things you are grateful for. Really no matter how bad life is treating you there are always reasons to have gratitude.

There's a neat app on the iPhone called 'Gratitude Journal' that lets you list things each day that you're grateful for. It's neat to look back over the history and see that even on 'bad' days there were always reasons to be grateful.

4. Melanie Trausch profile image61
    Melanie Trauschposted 13 years ago

I’m new to hubpages and like danmit talked about this concept in my first hub. I truly believe that a person’s outlook on life can be greatly enhanced simply by improving their state of mind. The state of being happy, healthy, successful, beautiful, and so on takes deliberate awareness (mindfulness) to achieve.

Life is miraculous, beautiful, intoxicating, yet extremely complicated and it is this dynamic which makes the journey worth every breath one takes while living it. There is always something positive and encouraging to behold in the midst of life’s chaos and challenging moments…your heartbeat, your breath, your mind, to name just a few.

I agree with firerie on focusing on reasons which make you grateful. I will go a step further and suggest regarding suffering with gratitude; that suffering usually happens to teach some very important lesson.

BTW…the gratitude journal app is awesome!

5. Ashantina profile image59
    Ashantinaposted 13 years ago

...you can 'want' to change your thinking... but it usually starts much deeper than that.
    'It' is a choice.
    And it is about having a need and call to action to raise ones standards by "any means necessary".
    Oh and Im with Melanie T and Firerie, the gratitude journal is a must!!!

6. profile image0
    danmitposted 13 years ago

Great answers. I've never tried the gratitude journal, maybe someone should write a hub on it? I believe, no matter what anyone says, nobody wants to be miserable. So, if you can't change the way you think because you want to, what can you change in your behavior to influence a change in mindset to happen? For example, yoga, which was mentioned by Carcro or not doing drugs like knowlyourself said.

1. Ashantina profile image59
      Ashantinaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everything starts in the mind as you know danmit.
      Of course nobody 'wants' to be miserable but my point is that if one really.... and I mean REALLY craves change, they'd take ACTion on it asap.
      Re the gratitude journal thingy, it is as it is.... being grateful for the stuff many folks take for granted like having a roof over your head, hot water, a true friend, great health..... and on and on.............
      We can all put our two pennies in regarding ways to change our life as the examples (ie yoga) you mentioned, but stuff like that is v subjective. Just cos theres a yoga revolution out there, dont mean its gonna happen in you or the next person.
      You've taken the first step which is the questioning.... however there are a couple more steps before the rEvolution......
      Best wishes smile

7. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

there is so much talk about positive thinking, and the one thing about it is it does not actually cost anything either...... Many people are finding the economic turn difficutl,

Have you heard of "THE SECRET"... I have read about it a lot, here on hub pages actually, i will go and look at your hubs.

you have great potential ....keep writing

1. celebritie profile image68
      celebritieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"the Secret" is a good movie and is based around thinking positive and how the mind can attract what you want in life.

1. tsmog profile image84
        tsmogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree I watch it now and then

8. proteinshakes profile image62
    proteinshakesposted 13 years ago

"body is barometer to the soul" is a great book to reflect on what our thoughts can do to us.

9. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

For young people, the studies show that writing what you're grateful for can backfire. Kids and teens that tried constantly thinking of being grateful for those who take care of them ended up feeling powerless and indebted. They didn't get the benefits expected.

Older people who felt grateful to God, to life in general, to fate maybe (don't quite remember) fared much better. That's why I've been holding back on teaching this to my son yet. What I DO really like is the OP's saying to look at negativity as a call to action!

10. profile image0
    DryWaterposted 13 years ago

It's all about your belief system and your thought process of how you're going to succeed by carrying out the activities that you carry out to reach your ultimate goal that you envision. You have to believe that this is what I'm going to do, this is how I'm going to do it, and no one or nothing is ever going to stop me from reaching that goal. (From my Hub -Achieving Greatness)

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I reckon I agree with Abe Lincoln. Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be.
    I must have been too busy to be unhappy for a large piece of my life and can find good in most adversity still.
    Chemical depression is the one to watch out for. If your access to dopamine and serotonin is reduced, then nothing will make one happy until they are replenished.

1. MellyMoo profile image61
      MellyMooposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could just about write a book on the above!!!  Watch a good comedy .. you will soon forget why you were feeling negative.  It works!!  Realise that you don't have to remember why you were feeling yucky ... just move on and let it go. Learn to be your own friend by changing your self talk.  Get fit.  Drink lots of water every day.  Be careful &picky about who you spend your time with.  Eat mostly healthily, avoiding preservatives, sugar, salt, colouring etc wherever you can.  Drink herbal teas.  ALl of these things, and more will help to alter the chemicals in your body to better able you to be in the position to begin to work on changing your thoughts.  Do some writing and realise what your fears are and what your unrealistic expectations are etc and work out where they come from and begin to change them.   ....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)