Caylee Anthony case -- Is the family still an important part ----

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

of our lives or it is where deception and lies thrive?

I am watching the Casey Anthony case and this is related to it. (Although I don't know why they televised it, trial by the media and people). The defense argue that Casey's family is dysfunctional and the father sexually abused Casey justifying her behavior. And that the child died in the family swimming pool and that the case is a cover up.

Are the benefits of belonging to a family still greater in our society today?

Are we better off without a family?

Is the family as an institution threatened by many factors, can we still consider it as a protective factor or it adds to our miseries? Does family help us to become a better person?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm skeptical of defense attorneys attempts to excuse criminal behavior due to childhood abuse or trauma. I suppose it makes sense in mitigation hearings in capital cases, mainly because I don't believe in capital punishment and support anything that works.

prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't support capital punishment either.

What about your take on "family" usefulness in our present time?

Not sure I get your drift? I'm not sure what the concept means. ??Does it refer to taking into account family issues in the sentencing of a parent? It seems to me that a mother or father of young children should not be sent to prison if there is a way around it, assuming they aren't abusive or neglectful parents.

I didn't clarify the issue I would like to discuss.

Moving away from the case of Casey Anthony, I would like to ask about opinion whether family is still beneficial to an individual as a whole. Yes there are dysfunctional families, because we tend to think about an ideal family, parents who are supportive etc.

Could we do better without a family? If we don;t belong to any family, will we emerge more successful?

On average, family is important. But some are so dysfunctional that the child is better off in foster care.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

It depends on the family.  If you're lucky you're born into a "regular" one that's either whole and healthy or else has only a few minor "issues".  If you're unlucky, you're born to one or more jerks/losers/imbeciles/freaks for parents; or else parents damaged by their own family enough that they don't know to complete separate from them.

Thank you for the response Lisa, do you think that the discussion about family is just finding the "ideal family" which is of course different in every family dynamics and composition.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My own thinking isn't coming from an "ideal family" kind of thing.  I think there's a difference between "ideal family" and "normal family".  All kinds of families are normal, and all families have their problems.  There are things about either individuals or families, though, that go outside what is pretty well established (in, say, the fields of psychiatry/psychology) as "within normal".  What's "normal" is sometimes be tied to a person's age-versus-maturity; and sometimes, for one reason or another, a kid from even a normal family won't mature "on schedule".  (One  cause of that is the fourteen-old kid who tries drugs, get involved too seriously with them, gets involved with a social circle where the only thing anyone is interested in is drugs, and spends x number of years when he'd otherwise be maturing "on hold" and on drugs.  The kid might have gotten more involved with drugs for some reason other than his family.  Some social/school issues can make a kid unhappy, insecure, and in need of escaping, belonging, or feeling cool.

So, the kid who's been a "problem kid" since he was fourteen can get into bigger and bigger problems (like having a baby too young), and you can end up with a young mother whose emotional maturation process has been stunted, is really on "emotionally fourteen", doesn't have the patience, protective instincts, or ability to do what "regular" mothers of infants and toddlers know they need to (like control themselves, for example); and a whole continuing cycle/downward spiral that brings the person farther and farther away from family and "the mainstream" of normal living, and puts him/her deeper and deeper in with a circle of people who are bad/misguided as, or worse than, he is.  It doesn't help that daughters from the best families can, for one reason or another, end up with loser or psycho boyfriends, who can be a big influence on even otherwise and generally "regular" young women.

Personally, I don't any normal (even not ideal) family will turn out a sociopath kid.  I think it takes something serious to be wrong for a kid to be a serious sociopath.  Maybe it doesn't have to be as seriously wrong for a kid to be a "borderline sociopath", but I think there's still something seriously lacking in the parents/ family in order for that to happen.

In an example like the one above, though, I don't think it necessarily takes a sociopath to, say, lose control of a temper and end up unintentionally hurting a child more seriously than s/he thought s/he would.

I knew a little girl who grew up to be a teen who did some things (serious things) that made those who knew her wonder if she was a sociopath.  Having known her since she was placed in a (good and loving) foster home at two or so (and after neglect and abuse), I'd always had the feeling there were things (intangible things) she needs and wanted from the people around her that she wasn't getting (because nobody seemed to be able to figure out what those things were, and because she was too little to be able to figure out, and voice, those things for herself).  Sometimes, I didn't really think she was a sociopath after all.  I'd think she was a hurt little girl who put on a tougher, colder, front in the interest of her own dignity.

So, I do think what goes on (or doesn't) in families matters.  I'm not watching the case, but I can see that defense as either a way to try to prove reasonable doubt or else as a completely plausible scenario.  I suppose where it may most matter is in a case where abuse could make the difference between, say, the death penalty and no death penalty (if the verdict is guilty).

What would be really horrible is if this individual really is a sociopath who's willing to let those kinds of accusations be in the air about innocent parents.  Equally bad, or worse, would be rotten/sociopath/sick parents who would be willing to let their daughter get, say, the death penalty for something they did.

Either way, I think it's a case for, and lesson in, getting away from, and staying away from, any family members who show any signs of being "seriously off" before one ends up with his own life in a big, horrible, disaster.

Also either way, I do think what did or didn't go on in the family can be very relevant.  So, with regard to the question about whether there are benefits in belonging to a family, I go back to the thing, "it depends on the family" (whether that "family" is made up of nobody but one's mother, a couple of parents, or a whole group of nearby family members).   hmm   smile  )

(Hmm.  My post seems to have turned ridiculously long for no reason other than pondering yours.   lol   Sometimes we never know when the urge to "ponder" will hit.   lol  )

3. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I'm watching the trial also and thought that,since her defense is childhood sexual abuse, he needs to contact as many teachers and childhood friends and ask them if she ever did anyhting odd or whether she told anyone...I wonder if there are those who will contact the defense and claim she told them something...tv bring outs the attention seekers...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)