Does Positive Thinking Really Work.

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

I went into a nursing to visit someone yesterday.  Four years ago i worked there, and i was there for a couple of years.  I left because i got offered a better job, but the better job did not work out.  The person that replaced me has just left apparantly.

Lots of the elderly remembered me surprisingly, and they all said "Are you coming back"  it is not usually the policy to take back people that have left, but i left a note for the manager,

the friend i was with told me not to be negative about it.  She adviced me to keep in my mind the expression.  Thanks so much for the job, keep repeating it over and over again she adviced.

I want you to know i would love to go back there.  Jobs here are so scarce, and the economy is bleak.

Any thoughts,,,,,, The manager will not receive my letter til Friday as she is on a course. Maybe if everyone out there said thanks for giving Brenda the job, it truly may happen.

Is positive thinking really that succesful?

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I think positive things happen to positive thinking people. Being positive isn't like wishful thinking, they are totally different. I wish I could win the lottery. In your case with this job I think its right to be positive and remain upbeat. What else could you be. If you were negative what would the point be of trying to obtain this job.
      I think positivity is a state of mind, you had a good time there before and have good memories this induces a positive state of mind. I wish you all the luck in getting the job and being positive about it is a credit to you.

1. Joy56 profile image68
        Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks so much, i am remaining positive.

2. profile image49
      DreamCarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course positive thinking is really helps a lot. Positive thinking helps you to think clearly because first thing you won't get depressed and confused. This keeps your mind free and clear from all the unwanted thoughts and helps you to think clearly and take a good decision in your life.

3. profile image0
      Temirahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like the residents want you to go back which is great!  No one wants a negative person around so you must be doing something right to start with.  A person going back to a job they've left is going back to something they know - so they're more likely to be committed and experienced.  If I was the manager that would be a positive reason to have you back.  Stay positive - good things will come.

4. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it does not. the subconscious does not operate on thinking, it operates on belief. you can choose to think the most positive things but if its not believable to you, aint going to happen.

what works is a change in company, perspective and then belief.

what you focus on expands. so if you so, no I'm absolutely NOT going to lose...you can bet your last season's prada that you will.

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Well for starters, it beats the hell out of negative thinking!

Why not try as hard as you can to stay positive about the prospect anyway? No harm will come of it.

I have a son who thinks positively and always has. He is the luckiest person I know. Whatever he needs seems to flop out in front of him.

I don't understand how that works, but hey, why question it is my angle!
    My life has been pretty amazing as well, and I am definitely a positive thinker. smile

Good luck! smile

3. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

thanks so  much....... Yes positivity is wonderful. Do you know much about positive affirmations.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As it happens.. smile I do.

I also believe I know how they work to some degree. The mind always has a negative angle to keep us in check, we can circumvent that to a degree by positive enforcement.

A form of affirmation is used in some modern psychological treatment with results that often surpass other forms of therapy.

I no longer use it myself, but did for a while and it was effective. These days I don't seem to need positive thinking as a mechanism, it is on autopilot I guess. Either that or I am kidding myself and should continue with it. smile
      I hope this helps support your position. smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

i see films with people listening to positive affirmations.  I have already said ... thankyou so much for offering me the job.... a million times.  Lets hope it works.

4. dutchman1951 profile image61
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

I think it does really help.
    You or at least I tend to function better when doing it, and I tend to go for a solution to the problem I am facing when I do it.

Keep the doomsday senarios out of your head and go for it. it really helps I think

5. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I do not know if positive thoughts can have an effect on the outcome of a situation but I believe a negative attitude can hold us back in life.

Cognitive therapy is partly about stopping negative thoughts in their tracks, i.e. you stop them as soon as you are aware of them. That seems a useful technique.

Good luck with the job and if it does not work out the way you want it to, I hope something good comes along soon.

1. Joy56 profile image68

thanks so much, just being more positive is helping my mood already, a job would be nice, and i do believe one will come along, of course it will.......

6. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Positive thinking definately works, not always in the way we want but it works anywasy smile  good luck with the job and if it doesn't materialise you can always come here and teach next year big_smile

1. Joy56 profile image68

o.k. i am on my way.  May do some courses, i am a late developer, just passed typing course, now manybe study something else.

7. Felixedet2000 profile image58
    Felixedet2000posted 12 years ago

Positive thinking is as the name implies a positive mindset, we often tend to think that once we have that positive mindset everything should just work out the way we feel, this is not always the case, and that's why some have reservations about the positive mindset concept. The truth is it work magic all the time it is applied, the result might vary, but it work all the same. keep thinking positively and the sky will be your limit.

8. Faeriephenomenon profile image57
    Faeriephenomenonposted 12 years ago

Positive thinking definitely works! When you think positive you feel positive and when you feel positive you are positive.

http://hubpages.com/hub/PositiveAffirma … rDailyLife

9. profile image0
    Muldanianmanposted 12 years ago

I think it depends if you really believe in it or not.  If you are a person who does believe in it, then you are more likely to be a positive person in the first place.  If you are a negative person, then it is unlikely you will be willing to give it a try, believing it will make little difference.

1. Joy56 profile image68

oh dear now i am confused.  I have been saying thanks for the job, a m illion times, but no phone call yet.......  I am positive, i am positive i am positive, thanks for the job thanks for the job thanks for the job......

10. cindi h profile image60
    cindi hposted 12 years ago

Joy  just your moniker exudes positivity:)smile I am so positive for you I will congratulate you now on your new-old job:)smile

11. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Joy, it works for me all the time.. but think of it like this ..what do doubts and negative thinking cause you- anxiety, tension and worry.. maybe even heart burn and bad mood. So it is worth it to be positive and take one day at a time smile Cheers and God Bless.

12. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 12 years ago

I completely agree with sofs and to add...it is catchy meaning people around you smile more and tend to be more positive themselves...

13. Bobbyben10 profile image61
    Bobbyben10posted 12 years ago

I think it helps. I find that the more I focus on positive things, the happier I am. If I constantly focus on the negative then... well I feel negative. It's all in attitude, anyone can turn a bad situation good if they have a positive outlook, or at least most situations.

14. profile image0
    ctbrown7posted 12 years ago

If you believe in spirituality, I think it works.  Negativity seems to hurt people spiritually and physically.  Having a positive outlook opens you up and keeps one more perceptive to new possibilities.

15. profile image52
    Simon Badrickposted 12 years ago

Of course being positive helps, while you can't guarantee a specific result such as getting a specific job, being positive makes a good outcome more likely. If you go into say a job interview convinced you are not able to do the job you are not likely to be employed, also being positive makes it easier to live through the difficult times.

16. SueShepard profile image60
    SueShepardposted 12 years ago

It certainly can't hurt. I tend to be a negative thinker at times, but strive very hard to be more positive. I guess different situations makes it either easier or harder to do that. I think, though, that positive thinking can have better benefits on our health both mentally and physically.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
      ceciliabeltranposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is definitely more going on with you that you want to repress. You can't cure negativity with positive thinking, you can only hide it. the way to deal with negativity is to get to the root, the source and deal with it head on. you don't cover, you heal.

17. profile image52
    Zoe_Leeposted 12 years ago

In the end I am sure you will be successful!

Editing your life <a href="http://www.blazevideo.com/videoflick/">http://www.blazevideo.com/videoflick/</a>

18. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I note that Joy has not been back to tell us if she got that job or not - I hope she is too busy working to come online smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a sweet thought! smile

2. Joy56 profile image68

my computer was riddled with a virus, that was annoying everyone, as it was sending out e.mails thugh not actually from me...... Today i have had it repaired, it is running well.  I love Panda's, and positivity, knitting like crazy i am like a little factory churning out shawls, cardigans etc etc. I may put up some pics, would you like to see the fruits of labour.

19. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

well here i am, and i did not get that job, not yet anyway..... but i am moving slightly forward, and at least believing i can work again.  Getting help from the negativity in my last job, and well just soaking up advice, warmth encouragement and hub love, it is all very positive.  That job is just a little bit too far away, though if i got i would travel, i really think a job nearer home is going to open up for me.... in fact i know it is.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)