5 Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I received this in my email, and I thought it was good enough to share... smilesmilesmile

5 Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do!

For all the folks with cell phones. (This should be printed and kept in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)  There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.
    Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112.
    If you find  Yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an  Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to  Establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND  Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in
    handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys In the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at  home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your
    car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile  phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object.  You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the
    doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked Our car over a cellphone!'

THIRD Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#..  Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

FOURTH How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on
    your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen.  This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code.  They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card,  your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that who ever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in  people stealing mobile phones...

And Finally......

FIFTH Free Directory Service for Cells

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they  don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation  even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial:   (800)FREE411  , or   (800) 373-3411  without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.  This is sponsored by MacDonalds.

This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so Pass it on to your family and friends.

2. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Good information, pal. Perhaps you should have made it a hub (it's already 574 words) so that people can share it with friends by linking to your hub.

Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Considering that this is not my info as I received it in an email from a friend...(no way to trace the origins of this info) I thought it best to just share. Everyone is welcomed to try.
      zs

3. Jen's Solitude profile image86
    Jen's Solitudeposted 14 years ago

Thank you Zb,

You were right these ARE five things I didn't know and I agree you should make this a hub. I'm sure you will get plenty of interested and appreciative readers.

~Jen

4. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 14 years ago

Great info smile Thanks for sharing!

5. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

Thanks very much for this info -- very useful indeed.

6. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

that is brilliant, just to think somewhere out there somewhere could need that advice right now...... brilliant I will remember those points, we got stuck in a flood once, and could not get imformation from anywhere, wish I knew that then

7. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

This is good stuff.  I love idea of unlocking the car door.

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Good tips.  (In a sort-of-unrelated comment, a good thing to do with last year's phone book - especially the smaller versions sent out by local companies - is put it in your car or trunk. Last year's copies are usually mostly current.)

9. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

I'm sceptical of the car key trick. But, hey, if it makes popcorn pop...oh wait, it doesn't. wink

1. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keyless entry systems work on radio waves. Mobile phones work on sound waves. Mobile phones can also work on radio waves as in GPRS? You may need a pc to link the Keyless entry systems to the mobile phone for it work?

1. lxxy profile image60
        lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup. Now, if they installed Bluetooth in the car, and allowed you to generate a security code to unlock your car with said phone...that would work.

1. profile image48
          MichaelPalinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

an african swallow perhaps, but not a european, that's all i'm saying.. but wait, an african swallow is non migratory.. perhaps 2 swallows could carry the key, on a piece of tree bark, what.. behind the right dorsal feathers..??

10. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

Awesome tips!

I wish I had keyless remote. sad I have a bare bones PT Crusier. I Don't even have power door locks.

11. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

I think we should test it out.

12. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I am definitely keeping this handy as I do have a keyless remote and never knew we could use a cell phone to unlock the door. Down side is car thieves probably use it as well. Upside of everything else is, all is defintely needed. smile

13. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

That idea of opening the car door was awesome. This should have been a Hub.

14. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

ZsuZsy. This is amazingly helpful advice. And honestly, I agree with those who suggest making it into a hub. As long as you personally try out all the suggestions and can "report" on their veracity, I see no problem with turning them into a hub. Much wider audience for you -- and for the info!

FYI, Yesterday I found out something my very special cell phone could do! Survive the washing machine! Luckily I found it and pulled it out within the first 5 minutes so it didn't get all soaped up and spun and stuff. Took a good 24 hours but is "mostly" back to normal.
    My suggestion -- if this ever happens to you (and it did happen to a friend whose cell phone got soaked in her pocket in the rain) is to take the battery out. Dry off all pieces with a hair dryer. Do NOT plug the phone in to charge. Just be patient and keep drying. It should fix itself in 24 or so hours! MM

Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only draw back is that I still have the good old fashioned key-entry in my vehicle. So I can't do the testing.

As far as washing the cell... I haven't done that yet but my nephew did with his 'blackberry' it went through the whole cycle and has never been cleaner since (it's never worked since either)

MM, thanks for your input.

15. profile image51
    MSmithHubposted 14 years ago

Nice update. Didn't know it could do so much.

16. Lady_E profile image60
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Excellent Tips. Thanks

17. Laughing Mom profile image60
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

I tried the unlocking the car thing a couple of years ago when I got this email.  It didn't work for me.

18. Rpenafiel profile image60
    Rpenafielposted 12 years ago

I’m not sure about the truth of these claims. But here is an article that analyzes their validity. I believe it’s worth reading to clear our thoughts about the myths and truths.  http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/busine … e_tips.htm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)