What are some examples of a spun article?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years ago

I'm looking for a sentence or two that are obviously spun from an article spinner program. I've been told they are easy to pick out, but want a few solid examples please.

1. rebekahELLE profile image83
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's a thread with a number of examples.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/77640

Some of the software makes it hard to detect, but then there are spun articles that are simply ridiculous. I find them a huge insult to intelligent online readers. But I know there are plenty of marketers that use the software and the sites that spin articles.

Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link to the topic with examples, but fortunately for all of us those examples are no longer published. Except for one (proudlybuilt) who still has two hubs still published (out of hundreds?). So...kudos to HP for taking care of those at least.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

One easy way to spot is where a word doesn't quite fit. The article spinners use a thesaurus to replace words.  The people who use spinners don't know English, don't check, or are busy creating thousands of pages - too busy to check what they create.

So let's take this sentence.

Spun that reads...

Therefore let's acquire this sentence.

You see?  It doesn't quite work.  It's not how someone normal would write it.

If you find one - flag it.  Check out the Hubber's other work.  Find another - flag it AND flag the Hubber.

Do you get comments that are clearly "look at me I'm new"?
    Look at them.  Look for spinning. FLAG THEM.

It's a full time job. Every spinner, copier, sub standard writer drags this site and YOUR writing down.  They are effectively stealing your potential income or audience - whichever is important to you.

Think of it like letting someone punch you in the face - time after time.

Get angry and get even.

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1 smile

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  I can see your passion in here today.  Wonderful!! smile

3. Theresa_Kennedy profile image77
    Theresa_Kennedyposted 12 years ago

Thanks Mark! I feel the same way, and you have effectively reduced my guilt about flagging by a million. Plus, I feel a little more sure of myself when I suspect something has been spun.

Any other examples?

4. Mark Ewbie profile image80

Here's one.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Getting-Started … t-Plan-Now

It took me a little while to find one, so not a good night for catching the spinners obviously.  But they tend to choose times when the US are sleeping, and the moderators are.

"As soon as you've in any case made the verdict to reduce weight,"

No one makes a verdict.  The word is decision, but the spinner has changed it using a thesaurus.

That's it.  Fairly simple.

If you think I'm picky, then plough through it a bit more until...

"Day 3 of your low carb nutrition plan is while you're going to actually modification the best way you eat"

Actually modification?  No, it originally read actually change.

Now this particular new Hubber has opened up a large number of accounts all called Danson something.  I only flagged this article.  He is on a splurge.

edit: And this is why I have repeatedly asked HP to moderate ALL new Hubs.  Just the first one would do.  Why can someone log in, create several accounts and post many pages all in a few hours?  They obviously didn't write them all.

Wow, that IS a good one! It's so bad that it's almost hilarious.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image80

From one of his other hubs...

"This in flip lowers the volume of insulin "

This in flip?

Let's play a game.  What does he mean?

Oh, it's "this in turn".

And that's what they do.  Hour after hour.  Stealing people's copy - yours and mine, and spinning it and republishing across the net, anywhere that will have them.  They create nothing, steal income and search traffic, and because they can 'write' thousands - they make more money than we can dream of.

1. Aficionada profile image78
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And their garbage drags down this entire site.  That kind of awful offal played a major role in Pandalization.

6. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

I can't provide an example right now, because I've actually been busy editing my own stuff today (which I swear on occasion resembles spun crap), but I've noticed recently that there are entire sites dedicated to providing "hundreds of top quality spin ready articles."  I almost choked when I read that this morning, and there are several links on that site to others just like it.

Discouraging to say the least.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image80
      Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's disheartening.  The software is out there, you can buy entire spun websites, automated blogs that copy and spin from other people's RSS feeds, and of course now.. eBooks that you can spin endlessly as a new way of ripping people off.

1. earner profile image84
        earnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stop stealing my business plan smile

7. psf profile image68
    psfposted 12 years ago

I happened to see couple of such spun hubs earlier, and reported straightaway.. Spun articles look no or less sense to human reader, may start with one subject and can find totally irrelevant subject on next paragraph, even on next line! smile

8. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

Another great clue is that the spacing is not always 100%.

Check out the title "sanantonioroofing10" - no one writes a title without spaces.

http://hubpages.com/hub/sanantonioroofing10

Also, when commas and other punctuation are added, the spacing is routinely off.

"First of all , you should be aware of is a types of roofing shingles available. There are many categories of roofing shingles; however these are rubber roll, three-tab, architectural, metal and tile. Rubber roll are commonly utilised on flat roofs and can even last from 10 to Three. "

Notice the odd spacing of the comma.

I think it should be easy for a script to find routine, recurring punctuation issues within a hub and auto flag them.  I am still an advocate to have a script autoflag hubs with a spelling error rate of 30% or more to ID the REALLY bad spinners who forgot to add spaces and the foreign language hubs.

LOL I also liked "Belongings you ought to know before..."

I agree, there should be a script to pull out such obvious and recurring signs of spun content.

9. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

My favorite was "Poverty human-I empathize you"

I actually started using it against my family.

Lol, I like that a lot.

10. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

If in doubt, flag it and let the moderators work it out is my view.  If it reads badly, it should be flagged, and as a native English speaker, you know what reads wrong.

11. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Today I forgot the name of a site I use sporadically. It was IM Automator. So I put the keywords "backlinking sites" and automator" into Google.

The returns they showed were awful. There were sites about spinning, about cheating, about how to earn a fortune on the web.

I'm not cheating. I write well researched internet content that is unique and original.

But the game now is to gain backlinks to gain authority.

Look on it as publicising - look, here is some quality content among all the crap.

Quality content still counts!

Only difference now seems to be you have to have 3000 backlinks to match the spinners of this world.

If your content is quality, it will still win.

But you need those backlinks!

Spinning software was probably designed for people who want to add a line or two of unique content to their site description, so that it didn't look like copied content when they or their software hawked their URL around a billion sites.

But now every Tom, Dick and Harry who can't even write English (and that includes many native English speakers), are using it to make a mockery of the system, and to steal content from those who can write.

I actually sympathise with Google here. How on earth do they write software to deal with this?

While we can't stop anyone setting up their own paid service through Wordpress.org or whatever, we can stop them from being allowed to publish their crap on the likes of HP, open publishing content provider or not.

So, over to Hubpages.

12. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Hi Iz, I put those links on Direxit, they are under newest directories category big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Richie, every little helps smile

13. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Is there a flagging option for obvious keyword stuffing?  I see them and I never know whether I should flag them or not.

Also, I've found that people are linking to the same site excessively by using the photo credits linky thing to credit pictures of products.  Sneaky.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, flag it. I put it under other.  I also flag it for overly promotional if it has two links and a banner with the same website address on it.

14. Ritsos profile image38
    Ritsosposted 12 years ago

I was curious after reading about this apparently excellent software that does this and it was cheap so I bought a copy to try ....

Pretty rubbish to be honest and it's supposed to be the bvest one!!!.

My own verdict is that you COULD use it to amend an article but then you'd need some serious editing to make it readable and then you find it's not really in your style of writing so you go through and amend again and basically it's takes the same time as writing the damn thing anyway.

On the other hand if you have NO pride in your work I can see why some use but the people that use it and don't do any post work, at best are just cluttering up the internet although probably making more money sad

1. Ritsos profile image38
      Ritsosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol actually that bit didn't make sense ... I mean that if you don't work on the article after it has been processed it comes out as nonsense, but those people sadly are probably making money whilst cluttering up the internet.

and if you want the automated version of that bit .. here it is :-)

lol genuinely that bit didn't seem to be smart ... I'm conversing about that in the event you usually do not target about the content material when it's got been processed it arrives as nonsense, but people folks sadly are more than likely earning cash though cluttering inside the net.

speaks for itself doesn't it .. look how much work you would have to do to clean up that small bit!

1. wheelinallover profile image74
        wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I sometimes wonder how to put things in which need to be used for continuity. My articles wouldn't stand alone well without understanding what had happened before. Is there a limit to reusing part of one hub in another or does the spinning have to continue?

I have actually stopped publishing articles on my autobiography because I can't figure out how to put in what needs to be there without spinning or copying.

Like everything else here I guess it will be figured out in time. The lack of time and too many sleepless nights doesn't help either.

15. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

A new one from today:

"When it obliviously comes to provisions I’m drawbridge sweet fussy. I don’t meat too precisely cooked or too rare, and scout about has to be very soon right. She did all the old fashioned way. "

I think it is supposed to start with something like "I'm not too picky when it comes to food..." but who knows...

I was thinking about this. Why is some spun stuff OKish at first glance while other is absolute nonsense.  I think they arre just different generations.  Spin from original copied article - not too bad.  Spin from first generation copy - getting worse. A few spin copies in and you get the real obvious howlers.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is something poetic about "drawbridge sweet fussy." lol

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you read about  Ern Malley  - Australian Poet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ern_Malley

Ernest Lalor "Ern" Malley was a fictitious poet and the central figure in Australia's most celebrated literary hoax. Created by writers James McAuley and Harold Stewart as a hoax on Max Harris and the modernist magazine Angry Penguins in 1944.  ... Harris read the poems with, as he later recalled, a mounting sense of excitement. Ern Malley, he thought, was a poet in the same class as W.H. Auden or Dylan Thomas

quote:
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        McAuley and Stewart, it turned out, had invented Ern and Ethel Malley out of thin air. They had written the whole of The Darkening Ecliptic in an afternoon, writing down the first thing that came into their heads, lifting words and phrases from the Concise Oxford Dictionary, a Collected Shakespeare, and a Dictionary of Quotations: "We opened books at random, choosing a word or phrase haphazardly. We made lists of these and wove them in nonsensical sentences. We misquoted and made false allusions. We deliberately perpetrated bad verse, and selected awkward rhymes from a Ripman's Rhyming Dictionary."
        ---------------------------------
        Its a great story!

Maybe we need a new TAG   "Ern Malley"

16. PosseSocialMedia profile image61
    PosseSocialMediaposted 12 years ago

Like the movie Multiplicity where Michael Keaton kept making copies of himself and they kept getting worse and worse lol...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)