Euthanasia - Is this technique of death advisible ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. dranjesh profile image40
    dranjeshposted 15 years ago

Euthanasia (from the Greek ευθανασία meaning "well death": ευ-, eu- (well or good) + θάνατος, thanatos (death)) refers to the practice of ending a life in a painless manner. Many different forms of euthanasia can be distinguished, including animal euthanasia and human euthanasia, and within the latter, voluntary and involuntary euthanasia. Voluntary euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide have been the focus of great controversy in recent years.

But is this type of death really advisable ?

BBC on this says...

Euthanasia is against the word and will of God

“Religious people don't argue that we can't kill ourselves, or get others to do it. They know that we can do it because God has given us free will. Their argument is that it would be wrong for us to do so.

They believe that every human being is the creation of God, and that this imposes certain limits on us. Our lives are not only our lives for us to do with as we see fit.

To kill oneself, or to get someone else to do it for us, is to deny God, and to deny God's rights over our lives and his right to choose the length of our lives and the way our lives end.”

But what is the real spiritual perspective of Euthanasia ?

While euthanasia is a hotly debated topic, it is difficult to decide which side to take unless one has an understanding of the spiritual dimension and the laws that govern our life and death. As a rule of thumb if decisions are aligned with the spiritual purpose of life it is more than likely to be spiritually correct. Law makers and decision makers unfortunately don’t understand the spiritual dimension and hence the conflicting viewpoints.

Please do mention your viewpoint to the concept on this Board ...

1. Paraglider profile image87
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the BBC has a corporate view on God's will.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't the BBC speak for god any more? I always though what they said was gospel...........

1. Paraglider profile image87

No, they just provide a convenient channel for him to use as he sees fit. It saves a lot of bushes.

1. JamaGenee profile image77
            JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Very good, Paraglider! lol lol lol

2. LondonGirl profile image80
            LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

damn, I sooooo wish I'd thought of that, great line!

2. THE SOUR MAN profile image60
      THE SOUR MANposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The people who think that one has not the right to kill oneself because it doesn't match the will of their gods should be strongly adviced to be logic and also refuse medical treatment in any case whatsoever.Futhermore we should think about the word "suicide" , the expression contains a moral judgement by itself.

3. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am strongly opposed to euthanasia. I don't care what the BBC says and I don't even think it is necessarily a religious issue. For me, it is not.

Simply put, it could be widely abused and fraud could inundate the medical system because of organ donators and organ harvesting.

I'm sure it will become legal in the U.S. eventually, but before it does, I feel strongly that MANY laws need to be created and enforced to protect patients. Again, I'm strongly opposed to it because of all the potential fraud; it's not worth it.

Also, I have had two loved ones die of cancer, so I am fully aware of that side of the argument. I also wouldn't want my loved ones to see me fade away on my death bed for months in pain. But, when I take into consideration what could happen if euthanasia was wide spread, I am completely against it.

1. Specificity profile image61
        Specificityposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you, especially as gov't becomes more and more involved in health care, they may start deciding that this is the cheapest prescription for certain diagnoses.  There have been reported some abuses of euthanasia in the Netherlands already.  As for the USA it is legal in Oregon.

2. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I strongly feel that assisted suicide should be legal. "I am the Master of my fate, I am the Captain of my soul"

3. packerpack profile image59
    packerpackposted 15 years ago

I think it should be allowed but there should be very strict rules for the same so that it is not miss-utilized. It is better to let one die painlessly then let him/her suffer everyday till the death comes on its own

4. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

You'd have to have a context, really.

"Advisable" is a value judgement.

If you believe it will imperil your immortal soul, then it's not advisable, but if you don't even think you HAVE an immortal soul, then it's completely advisable in certain situations.

If you believe you have an immortal soul, but that the immortal soul's future experiences do not depend on the manner of your death, then by all means, knock yourself out.

If you believe in karma, then by choosing euthanasia, you may be sentencing yourself to spending your next life as a pampered moggie that is finally euthanised involuntarily, or an unwanted kitten that is drowned in a sack. The thought may give you pause - or it may not.

Personally, I don't consider any course of action "advisable", because when I advise someone, I make myself partially responsible for their decision, and I don't want to responsible for anyone's decisions but my own.

The best I will do is make sure they have considered all the relevant information and perspectives of which I am aware, before they make their final decision.

There should be an eleventh commandment "Thou shalt not give advice ..."

Jenny

5. dranjesh profile image40
    dranjeshposted 15 years ago

Dear friends,
    Mentioned in the post are the thoughts from BBC which may not be the ultimate..

This is a very superficial and simplistic way of looking at euthanasia.

If we look at our lives as per the path of Devotion (Bhaktiyoga) there is nothing that can happen to us without God’s will. God has complete right over our lives and there is nothing that we can do to transcend that right.

According to Path of Action (Karmayoga) 65% of our lives are destined and 35% of our lives is free will. The decision to commit euthanasia may not always be according to free will and many spiritual factors can influence the outcome of our decision.

Generally all our actions give us either merits or demerits or a combination of both. Depending on our merits and demerits and the state of our ego at the point of death we go to different subtle regions of the Universe. For example a person with a lot of merits may go to the subtle region of Heaven (Swargaloka) and a person with a lot of demerits would go to one of the subtle 7 regions of Hell (Paataal). Behind every action the intention is an important aspect in deciding whether a person reaps merits or demerits from it.

The severity of a sin or a demerit and the subsequent settling of an account is not a simple 1+1=2 type of mathematical equation; it entails the complex consideration of a lot of factors that include the following:

*Intention behind the act. (The intention behind any act should be in line with a spiritual point and not a sectarian viewpoint.)
        *Situation at that time
        *Anguish faced by the person and by the peoples lives the act affects
        *Spiritual level of the person committing the act
        *The give and take account being settled or created
        *The type of person/entity harmed - an average person or a seeker of God or a Saint, a spiritual organisation etc.).

When we do spiritual practice and attain the level of Sainthood the whole issue about euthanasia becomes a non-issue as one understands and experiences that everything happens as per God’s will and that spiritual practice is the only place one’s focus should lie.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Come on.

These are not thoughts from the BBC. I understand that believers such as yourself feel obliged to lie all the time to justify your irrational beliefs, but these are thoughts that the BBC reported as someone else saying.

And presumably you think that if it came from the BBC it must be gospel?.........

What on earth makes you think that lying will garner you some respect?

1. dranjesh profile image40
        dranjeshposted 15 years agoin reply to this

definately these are extracts from BBC and obviously BBC has contents said by others...
        For the fact that you say I am lying, I dont intend to do so as that is not my way. Rather I would like to say, I dont even want people to respect me due to what I say, but only after they have experienced what the Spiritual Science has said to be practiced.
        For me the Spiritual Science is more important than my respect.
        Kind regards for your views...
        I dont intend to urgue for the sake of keeping the discussion alive. I wanted to share some things that I felt are good to be understood and that to for the betterment of the society. My contents on this board are not to hurt someones feelings but to share each ones which will help each one of us.
        Again, would like to humbly request you to to help each one of us on this board for their benifit..

2. Paraglider profile image87

Please explain how you know there are 7 'subtle regions of hell'? I only ask because my mother's cousin Aggie (the one who kept the wee baker's shop in Tilicoultry) was adamant that there were only 6 subtle regions. And her father-in-law was a mason...

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Some sages say there are 7 dimension in total. smile

2. dranjesh profile image40
        dranjeshposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dear friend,
        I have sent you a link. Please see for details about subtle regions as posting links are not advisable here.
        hope you will find it interesting and informative.
        Do send your comments...

6. Aragon5000 profile image60
    Aragon5000posted 15 years ago

I know an old lady that was very ill and the doctors have treated and operated on her several times before, and there was nothing more they could do, so gave her like three months to live. She started giving her stuff away. I told a friend that as much as I respect Doctor/Science and their opinion, sometimes it is not for them to give you a DEFINITE say on how long you will live. They can guess/say based on their knowledge but not give a DEFINITE say because it makes them GOD. i told my friend that she would be surprised that the woman would not die at the given time but live even longer but my friend didnt believe. Anyway it's like 5yrs down the line I still see the old lady in the grocery store (And by the way she collected back the stuff she gave out before lol) so this euthanasia stuff is like Hmmmmmmm to me. I wont opt for it in any situation because I know for a 100% that my life won’t take that part. When it's time for me to leave this world, I would leave in peace. That is what I have asked for and that is what I will get.  I HOPE I DID NOT OFFEND ANYONE WITH THIS POST, IF I DID I AM VERY SORRY ABOUT IT

7. Make  Money profile image66
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

That is a real good argument against euthanasia Aragon5000.  In fact I believe the term euthanasia needs to be more clearly defined.  For instance Terry Schiavo did not want to die when they pulled the plug on her.  Regarding the definition of euthanasia that dranjesh posted above it quotes "well or good".  Terry Schiavo's death was not well or good or voluntary.  It was a state sanctioned murder.  If we allow this to get out of hand it will happen for organ harvesting like girly girl mentioned.

8. Tricia Lee profile image61
    Tricia Leeposted 15 years ago

I feel euthanasia opinions need to be left to the person considering it.
    I don't want any government, religious leader or even a family member deciding what I can and cannot do when it comes to dying. As an adult, I feel the decision is mine and mine alone.

1. Elynjo profile image61
      Elynjoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that. :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)