How do you interpret the second death in the book of Revelations?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (61 posts)
  1. SwordofManticorE profile image70
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

How do you interpret the second death in the book of Revelations?

It is found 4 times in Revelations and as I understand it, it is symbolic for the second desruction of the temple and the Jewish religion a second time at the hands of Rome. The first time was by babylon. It is the spiritual death of the Jews for God as I see it. Any takers?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

The "First" death then, is the physical death that each person dies on this earth - a physical, but TEMPORARY death from which everyone will be resurrected. Those who are righteous will be resurrected to everlasting life and those who are wicked will be resurrected for the judgment and the "Second Death", believed by nearly ALL to be a physical death also, but this time the death is presumed to be PERMANENT!

So, both "Deaths", the First and the Second, are physical deaths - according to present day theology. The ONLY difference, most Christians believe, is that the "First" is temporary and the "Second" is permanent (and its method of accomplishment more hideous).
    "There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body...Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterwards that which is spiritual."
    1 Cor 15:44,46 (the "natural" body is first - and the "spiritual" body is second.)
    Since this is the ONLY other type of Death (other than a physical death) that is spoken of in the Bible, at least up until the book of Revelation, wouldn't this logically--and chronologically, be termed --The "Second" Death --- a Second type of Death?

If so, is this synonymous with THE "Second Death" spoken of in Revelation? If not, then since the different types of Deaths appear to be numbered in the Bible, what number is this Death? And where does it fit in the scheme of things?

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

2 Peter 2:4
      For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

2. SwordofManticorE profile image70
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tarturus was a prison for the rebeliouse Greek pagan gods such as the titans, and hades is where the Greeks believed all the dead went. If you did more study, you might learn something for once.

3. profile image0

Gehenna is a place on earth. Read this:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gehenna

4. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Gehenna was a garbage dump. Imagine you being a pharisee and proud, and then some guy called Jesus comes around telling you that your body will be dumped there instead of at Hebron. The burial place of the royals and honourable religious leaders.

5. profile image0

SOM and DH? Do you consider name calling to be Christ like?

6. SwordofManticorE profile image70

It is about as christ like as your belief of eternal torture.

7. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I haven't called you any names J. However, you mentioned Matt 5:22 and the inference that anyone who calls his brother a fool is going to hell. Well looks like Jesus is in trouble: Matthew 15:16
      ‘Are you still so dull?’ Jesus asked them.

8. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Well I did call J a coward. Didnt Christ call the selfrighteous pharisees the same?

9. Disappearinghead profile image60

I believe he did.
      I like your comment about Pharisees & garbage dump. It was Gehenna that the bodies of the criminals were thrown. Christians take the second half of Matt  5:29 literally but not the first, that's why there are no maimed Christian

3. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
    tlmcgaa70posted 11 years ago

4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

according to scripture there will be a period of one thousand years, a time when CHRIST will reign on this earth with those faithful to HIM, those who died in HIS name, never having worshiped the beast or its image. this is the first resurrection. everyone else who are dead remain dead. then at the time of the second resurrection, , that is when all are resurrected from the graves (all are dead at this time), and all are judged. those who are not found in the book of life are cast into the lake of fire...that is the second death.

4. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

I think we need to first understand what the lake of fire is. It certainly isn't the pagan hell myth that the Catholic Church grafted into Church belief and perpetuated by evangelicals (a myth unknown to the Jews, hence Jesus and Paul never taught it). Time and time again throughout scripture it is God that is associated with fire; he is a consuming fire. So this lake of fire, is God himself performing a consuming activity on anyone being cast in. Now Jesus said everyone will be salted with fire; that is tested. Paul states in 1 Corinthians 3 that everyone's works will be tested with fire. Those works that do not measure up (their life choices and actions that God deems as sin), will be consumed but nevertheless they themselves shall be saved.

Thus I see the second death as that activity where God burns out the sin from a person's life in his lake of fire, aka himself, and through that activity they will receive ultimate reconciliation and salvation. The second death is the death of sin inside the person.

It seems ironic to me that Christians will emotionally sing "Lord let your fire fall", or "Purify my heart.....refiner's fire....", yet they will walk out the door and tell their neighbour God will use that same fire to burn them for eternity or utterly consume them.

An addendum, is that Revelation claims all whose names are not in the book of life will experience the lake of fire, yet oddly, nowhere in the bible does it state how to get your name written in there in the first place. We know David's enemies were in the book of life because he said so in Psalm 69. So to say that only bible believing spirit filled born again evangelical Christians (or alternatively Catholics if you're a Catholic) are in the book of life is merely an unfounded speculative Christian claim.

I'll put my soapbox away now.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
      tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

this belief contradicts scripture, which says that GOD gave those who reject HIM over to the lusts of their hearts and blinds them lest they see and HE must heal and save them. if GOD had planned on saving everyone from the get go, why  do that?

2. SwordofManticorE profile image70

@Tim, why do you hate your neighbor so much?

its TLM...and i dont, i accept GODs Word as truth. GOD is righteous and all HE does is. HE is sovereign. im not the one who makes the rules, HE is and i abide by them.

4. SwordofManticorE profile image70

You are a product of your belief system, and if you believe that Love will allow most of its creation be eternallt tortured. It says alot about who you are.

5. tlmcgaa70 profile image60

yes it does. it says im not wearing blinders or interpreting scripture to please myself or justify my lifestyles. you are free to believe whatever makes you comfortable. but it wont save you

6. Disappearinghead profile image60

3 reasons why hell makes no sense:
      1 Jesus said do good to your enemies and God's love is everlasting.
      2 Sin in finite life doesn't warrant eternal punishment; eye for eye...
      3 97% of people in hell means Jesus' mission was a complete failure.

7. tlmcgaa70 profile image60

it helps to look at things from GODs perspective and not human ones. you cant pick and choose what part of the Word you wish to believe, its either all or none. and no it doesnt mean anything of the sort.

8. SwordofManticorE profile image70

greed DH. Those who believe in hell, don't understand that what they believe as eternal in regards to punishment, is "age".

9. Disappearinghead profile image60

tlm, you pick and choose. You choose verses that tickle your ears for hell belief. You have no desire to belief what the writers intended.
      Read 1 Timothy 2:3-5, Isaiah 46:10-12, 1 Corinthians 15:22, 2 Chronicles 33:1-6, and string them all together.

10. profile image0

Matthew 5:29
      And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

11. SwordofManticorE profile image70

It is Gehenna, not hell. Scripture suffers more from Christians than atheists.

12. profile image0

I don't care what you say it is, there are over 55 verses in the Bible talking about hell. Am I to believe you or God? God! Where do you come up with your fantasies? We have proof in the Holy Bible.

13. SwordofManticorE profile image70

I get it J, I know you dont want all to be saved. It is obvious, but FYI, there are over 600 verses in scipture that supports universal salvation.

14. Disappearinghead profile image60

There are no verses in the bible talking about hell. There are verses talking about Sheol - the grave/unseen, Hades = Sheol, verses talking about Gehenna aka Ben Hinnom Valley or garbage dump, Tartarus - pagan myth in 2 Peter not written by Peter.

15. profile image0

THE BIG QUESTION: Then why did Christ have to go through hell for us to be saved?

16. SwordofManticorE profile image70

DH, I have never met such arrogant ignorance like I have from this J guy. How many times has he asked the same question over and over about why did Jesus have to die and we have to suffer such stupidity.

17. Disappearinghead profile image60

The idea that Christ descended into hell to be greeted by demons and Beelzebub himself is Christian fantasy. He died! He went to Sheol, the grave, the place where God told Abraham he'd REST with his fathers including Terah who worshipped idols.

18. profile image0

Jesus talking:
      Matthew 5:22
      But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Tho

19. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Oh now I am going to hell for calling you stupid J? I bet the thought of that gives you great joy.

20. profile image0

No no one going to hell gives me any type of joy. We are to love one another and spread the good news of Jesus Christ to save people from hell. That is a ludicrous statement.

21. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Ok, let me ask you this. If YOU were given the power to save all of those in the hell you believe in, would you save them?

22. profile image0

SOM.. Your ego and arrogance overwhelms you.

23. SwordofManticorE profile image70

I knew you couldnt answer that question, because it exposes the darkness and hatred you have for nonchristians.

24. profile image0

That statement is as idiotic as your question.

25. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Not as idiotic as your belief of hell. I will answer it for you. YES!!! IN A HEART BEAT!!! I love all mankind including you. You use excuses to avoid hard questions, and it says alot about you.

26. profile image0

I'm only avoiding RIDICULOUS questions.

27. SwordofManticorE profile image70

It is a good question. Would save someone from drowning if you could swim?

28. profile image0

I am done with these spiritually contradicting ideas of yours. Therefore, I am done with this ridiculous nonexistence of hell. If there is no hell? Why must anyone be saved by the blood the Bible concentrates on in the New Testament? Think about it.

29. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Of course you wouldn"t save that person. You would walk away and let them drown like the non good samaritan you are.

30. profile image0

No, we don't save people. We lead them to Jesus Christ who saves them. You have much malice to call yourself loving.

31. SwordofManticorE profile image70

That is a cowards responce J. If I saw an athiest drowning, I would jump in and save him, but you use selfrightious excuses not to.

32. profile image0

SOM... You have a very low self esteem problem don't you?

33. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Are you serious J? Real Christians dont worry about self esteem or pride for that matter.

34. Disappearinghead profile image60

If a Christian saw someone on fire in a car wreck, they would try to pull them out and douse the flames. But if they failed, they think God will wilfully torch the person a second time in hell. So the Christian thinks he's more loving than God.

5. James-wolve profile image74
    James-wolveposted 11 years ago

I am not a Christian,but as being a reader of the Bible, I think the condemnation of The Second Death is for those who:
    1. Have missed out on the main 'prize' of the Bible, and
    2. Who have lived their lives with an attitude of unremitting and consistent evil, wickedness, and have lacked any vestige of mercy and compassion.

Anyway,God or Allah or Jehovah loves us all unconditionally and wants the best for us.The repentence door is always open for us to return to him.I love Him and his messengers so much.I hope i didnt offend anyone .I love you all.
    Many Blessings.
    James.

1. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Though, I disagree with you on many topics, your comment is alot less offensive than many Christian beliefs and theologies I have read recently.

2. James-wolve profile image74
      James-wolveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really respect  all religions and creeds.It is true we disagree with each others on many topics but that doesnt mean we should take it on personal level.You are my friend and I respect your beliefs.

6. SwordofManticorE profile image70
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

I know this a little off topic, but I am compelled to post it.  I have noticed recently the fascination some Christians have about the theology of hell. I recently called one of them a hypocrite for posting a question and deleting the answers that did not add up to his beliefs. One of the questions he posted was "Is hell real". I told him that the only reason why he asks these silly questions about hell is to gain more financial earnings with his hubs. He deleted the post and disabled answeres and comments. Preaching or asking questions about hell is profitable for him it seems. There is nothing more disgusting than a Christian that profits financially at the cost of billions who suffer eternally. He and people like him have what Christ calls the mammon spirit. Profiting at the cost of the displeasure of another. The world today is a reflection of him and his belief.

1. tlmcgaa70 profile image60

that is why i dont listen to christian music or watch christian themed movies or read anything christian themed. i totally do not approve of using GOD to make money. i do believe in hell, but i wont argue. all r free to believe how they will

2. Disappearinghead profile image60

I almost fell off my chair when all my answers and comments to the question "Is hell real?" were deleted. Are we living in medieval times  where some in the Church silence dissent?

i myself do not leave comments idly. i put my heart into them. i think them out. when they get deleted it makes me wonder why bother.

4. profile image0

tlm.... It is due to personal attacks and name calling which has no place on HubPages. Not directed toward you my friend. You always are very respectful.

5. Disappearinghead profile image60

Exactly. Deleting comments that people have taken care to write is just insulting.

6. tlmcgaa70 profile image60

it is only an insult or personal attack if you let it be one. otherwise they are just words.  always remember, you arent responsible for what others think, say, or do. only for yourself. GOD gave man choice. we should respect that.

7. SwordofManticorE profile image70

J, Why dide you ask eveyone the question "Is hell real"? What was the purpose of the question?

8. profile image0

To see how many believed in universal salvation.... Not very many. This is why you are constantly debating with everyone you encounter.

9. SwordofManticorE profile image70

The numbers are growing and many are leaving the catholic traditions. I dont debate with believers of hell, only those who support and preach it. It will be like it was during the times of Paul and the apostels. Universal reconciliation of all.

10. Disappearinghead profile image60

The time is coming and now is where people will throw off the shackles of hell heresies. Those in the Church who call this enlightenment 'apostasy' will only find themselves left out in the cold.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)