Writing about sexuality implies, having your advertisement disabled?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Escobana profile image76
    Escobanaposted 12 years ago

I wrote a Hub about Manic Hypersexuality. Advertisement got disabled for writing about a topic related to sexuality. It stays published though as the team told me so.

The other one is about advice to men and women. Sexuality isn't the main part at all, but I got the same warning. I don't know yet if it stays published.

Writing about sexuality means you won't be able to earn money through it by Google, however decent you write about it? Seems a bit unfair to me.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't think of anything likely to scare advertisers more that Manic Hypersexuality! lol.

Unfair or not, it is the reality. Sex sells unless you talk about it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It does, doesn't it? That's because it is.  Unfortunately Google is a prude, and that's just the way it is.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This. And Google operates on a double standard, because they allow adult businesses to advertise with them.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which leads to the paradox that potential clients of these advertisers are not going to find the ads on the most relevant content.

Escobanaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for all the response! I felt there was a double standard and the paradox I see as well:-)

3. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It could be the site's automatic filters that disabled your ads, and not the moderators themselves.  If I were you, I'd just e-mail the hubpages staff, and ask them to review your hub for you.  Once they review it, they should reinstate the ads as long as your hub doesn't violate any of the site's policies.  I know a similar thing happened to me when the ads were disabled for my hub, "Kick-Ass", simply because of the word "Ass."  However, once I e-mailed the staff, they knew immediately the hub was a film review over the movie, "Kick-Ass"; which I have no control over.  Anyway, long story short, they reinstated the ads on there manually, since the automatic filters disabled them the first time. 

Anyway, I hope that helps, and I hope the staff reviews your hub soon to reinstate the adds.  Just like I said, e-mail them about this issue first, along with a link to the hub in question, then I'm sure things will resolve themselves.  smile 

Here's a link to contact the hubpages staff:

http://hubpages.com/contact_us/

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't hold my breathe on that working.

My hub on breast cancer had ads disabled after manual review for suing the word 'breast'.

Tsk! tsk! Must be a bad word That is taking things too far, IMO.

1. profile image0

That's kind of surprising.  How could the word, "Breast" be any different than the word, "ass?"  Hmmm...maybe it has more to do with the context of the word used versus what it actually means...

1. IzzyM profile image86

That hub passed the automatic filters too! It was a manual review. The context in which certain words are used seem to be disregarded.

1. profile image0

That wouldn't explain why my film review, "Kick-Ass", was deemed "okay" by the moderators then after having the staff review it though.  hmm  Oh well.  I stand by what I said in my theory, but I hope one of the staff members comes by to clear this up.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

The word "kick-ass" is a slang term and a compound word. I'd say they're thinking the two words would not be read separately. I suspect that if you'd used the word "ass" on its own, it would've been a different story.

2. Escobana profile image76

Below you'll find the answer I got back from the team about why my adds were disabled on the Hub about Manic Hypersexuality. I don't know if it means they reviewed it actually but like Izzy says...I'm not holding my breath either but I still think, this should not be possible on Hubpages.

It's a MENTAL HEATH PROBLEM! Not a crave for writing about dirty stuff.
        The context should definitely be looked at and taken seriously. Thanks for explaining me anyway how this can affect your Hub and what risks you might take in using "wrong words".
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Escobana,

This hub includes information on sexuality. This content is considered too sensitive for advertisers. We want hubs that are well-written and important to remain published, even if they cover topics that are too sensitive to be advertiser-friendly. Your hub will remain published, your HubScore will not be impacted, and you may use Amazon capsules. Let us know if you have any questions.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

The problem is two fold:

1) HubPages wishes us to write about whatever we want; this keeps us happy and productive, making money for HP.

2)  At the same time HubPages absolutely must remain in the good graces of Adsense.  It is necessary for survival.

The two are sometimes incompatible and it is #1 that has to give.  We don't like it, I doubt that HP likes it, but it's required.  If you want to see adsense ads you WILL cooperate with Big G and that means not talking about some subjects or using certain words.

1. IzzyM profile image86

That is it in a nutshell, wilderness.

It is better to avoid writing about anything to do with sexuality, sexual health or personal health if it involves any area of the body that might be deemed sexual.

As well as any writing about the sale of booze (even if you are a wine connoisseur), guns, gambling, tobacco,or any product deemed spammy etc.

Write about anything? That's what the ad says. Trades description might have something different to say.

I'll definitely think twice now before starting to write a Hub. My Hub 'Sweet heart? What about bigger boobs?" apparently crosses all these lines, even though it is a very innocent, non vulgar Hub about advice for women and men in relationships:-)

Like some of you said here. It is what it is:-) I can deal with that....I think:-)

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had two websites dropped from adsense for sexual material when one was only talking about romance novels and the other a slightly saucy but not explicit blog about general interest topics.  Adsense casts a broad net when it comes to these things, and it would be safer to just mark those hubs as 'no ads'.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Like some of you have said, it seems quite unfair that the level of "sensitivity" is so high since Google and many other search engines are full of sexually explicit sites and adds.

Removing advertising is HP's decision no matter how ridiculous their standards are or their reasoning. I wrote a hub about photography with a title that included the word nude, therefore the automatic sensors disabled the adds and HP staff agreed.

Well their loss (adds) since it's the hub with the highest number of visitors, plus on a recent email communication with Google, I was lead to believe that they wouldn't had have an issue with it.....hmm

4. Maralexa profile image83
    Maralexaposted 12 years ago

I am waiting for approval by AdSense, hopefully within a week.  Would this be a good time to remove my hub entitled "Lust......."?  It does talk about the sex industry and how sexuality is regarded today.  I'm really concerned about this.  Is there somewhere I can go to get a better idea of what is acceptable and what is not....to AdSense.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The decision of whether or not to make adds available on a hub is done by the HubPages staff. wait and see or email the staff about your hub...cool

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Maralexa, I disagree with Luis. If you're trying to get approved by Adsense then you need to be squeaky-clean.

Luis is right, it is HubPages not Adsense who decides what is acceptable on a Hub.  They do it for a very good reason - to protect our Adsense accounts.

If Google finds its Adsense ads on a Hub or website that breaks its rules, they  may warn the writer and remove the ads, but they're just as likely to ban you from Adsense without any warning at all. Once you've lost your Adsense account, it's highly unlikely you will ever be allowed to get it back.

To make matters worse, Google doesn't issue a definitive guide to what is or isn't acceptable, so website owners have to draw their own conclusions as to how to interpret the vague guidelines.

So you can see why HubPages errs on the safe side when deciding whether Google will like something or not.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
        LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, at least she can email the staff and find out if her hub will pose any issues, so she can then take the next step of publishing it without adds or not at all, however, even if she published the hub HP will certainly disable the adds and  prevent any issues with Google....cool

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes, eventually.  But Hubs go into a moderation queue and sometimes, can take several months to be noticed.  It's just the luck of the draw. 

That's why you'll occasionally see people posting on the forums, complaining their Hub has been suddenly unpublished even though "there wasn't a problem with it last month".  It's just that the moderators hadn't noticed it.  During the time it's published with Adsense ads on it, it's a risk.

Personally, I don't believe in taking chances with my Adsense account.  If Maralexa is in the middle of applying for an Adsense account, she shouldn't be taking any chances either!

5. Maralexa profile image83

Thanks for the clarification, Luis.  I will wait.

6. Maralexa profile image83

I don't think I have the time to do anything but pull the hub!  I want AdSense and it doesn't make any sense to blow it at this point in time. 

Every time I email the team I have not been satisfied that 'they' have really read my email.  On two occasions they have written back to say what I said to them in my memo.  The third time they took action not on what I was talking about, and left open what I was concerned about.  So my experience with team at hubpages isn't great.

So, I guess I had better delete the hub.

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Deleting and unpublishing are not the same thing!

8. Maralexa profile image83

I have just unpublished the hub I wrote on lust.  I'm not happy that HubPages (or someone more experienced than I) didn't flag the hub.  Oh well.  I would rather write on HubPages with AdSense than worry about one little potential bomb of a hub!  Thanks guys.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)