One way to be married for life

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    DjBryle Worksposted 15 years ago

Give me one way to stay married for life. Thanks!

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well your question has the answer in it. Ok let me put it this way: Isn't marriage for life? (I personally feel it is the whole attitude that "this is it" and for the rest of my life I have to learn to deal with this)

PS: I am aware of exceptions like abusive relationships and what I stated was my personal opinion about marriage(especially mine) and not an attempt to generalize marriage. smile

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
        VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Indians are always hesitating in each and everything. Why such a hesitation to tell what is good?  To whomsoever it may appeal, let them take it. Dont worry about others.

2. profile image0
        DjBryle Worksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! Great opinion and well said! smile

2. profile image52
      aussie_wifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

- unconditional love and loyalty...
      - respect each other...
      - make him your everything...your man, your lover and your bestfriend!!!

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 15 years ago

Marry the right person wink

1. profile image0
      DjBryle Worksposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How do I know who's right? and who's not? smile

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image59
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

To divine this answer I will need chicken bones, blood of shaved yak, peyote, an original copy of Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl, and $200 sent to Nigeria. big_smile

1. profile image51
          Motherhood Trialsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats funny !

2. profile image0

Hahaha!... that's funny! big_smile

2. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's one of the most challenging questions, because so many people truly believe they marry the right person, only to discover, when/if big troubles come; it turns out there wasn't enough of foundation to the relationship after all.   Some parts of people's personalities/coping styles, etc., don't show up until something happens that reveals them.

Maybe what people need to do is really, really, understand what "mature and well adjusted" is (and honestly ask if both people are mature and well adjusted), learn about how birth order can affect how a person deals with things, and learn about the other's family and how people dealt with things.  Maybe, too, if there are even minor signs of something not being quite right in the relationship during dating; don't do the "well adjusted and reasonable thing" of overlooking such signs and thinking, "I can't expect it to be perfect."  It should feel perfect if it's right.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 15 years ago

Make love an action rather than an emotion.

1. Specificity profile image61
      Specificityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup.  I would say make love an act of will, not a feeling.  Feelings are fickle, but if both of you are committed to marriage, it'll work great in the good times, and you'll be able to gut it out in the hard times. It's worked so far for us anyway!

4. GeneriqueMedia profile image59
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Marry and promptly be locked into your own lovely mausoleum! You won't have long to put divorce papers through! wink

Or write your will, for that matter.

G|M

5. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

lol GM, silly thang. I recommend that your marriage reach that *companionate* stage after the *honeymoon* stage wears off smile

My companion is sitting on my shoulder, grinding his teeth happily with his eyes half-closed. =P

What's this marriage thing? A ploy for easy intimate liaisons? wink One of these days I gotta get on board with the bulk of humanity and start using my hormones for good use. ;P

Peace and Love,

G|M

6. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 15 years ago

adjustment and love

7. profile image0
    Janettaposted 15 years ago

Complete trust, faith in one another, honesty and be open about your feelings.  And like froggy said--marry the right person smile

8. GeneriqueMedia profile image59
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

What are my chances the right person is in the back of my copy of "OC Weekly" and she just happens to be in Russia, looking for the right person too...?

G|M

1. profile image0

LOL! big_smile ... I don't know what to say....smile

9. lawretta profile image63
    lawrettaposted 15 years ago

Always look your best and be submissive to your man.

Hey, the 1950s called, they miss you. wink Haha, no hard feelings. Just hadta.

Peace and Love,

G|M

2. Jamie Gates profile image61
      Jamie Gatesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh God No, please. No. Not submissive. Don't believe that B.S. unless you're a masochist.

10. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

MARRY A GOOD FORGIVER AND BE ONE YOURSELF

11. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

First understand yourself. Then understand the purpose of marriage.. not only for sex.. just a companion for life full of emotions, ups and downs... Then understand your opposite.
    Place yourself in his or her position and then analyse their behaviour.. If you find it reasonable and you in that place would have done the same thing... then forgive and forget.  Think that everyday you get a new life and learn to live as an youngster; make your partner happy and be happy yourself.

Emperor Akbar of India (17th century- ruled Delhi for 64 years) started a new religion called "Theene Ilahi" which preaches that we should place ourself in the opposite and analyse others' behaviour. What are all we hate, we should not do to others. Eventhough the religion has died, its preachings are fit for all seasons!

1. Capable Woman profile image61
      Capable Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are God in the form of Sivagna...and I am the same God in the form of Capable Woman. This way of thinking creates compassion for each other (at least for my mind it does).

Still...I don't know if this helps you stay married or keep a hot girlfriend...

12. apeksha profile image67
    apekshaposted 14 years ago

Don't look for a perfect person but love the imperfect person perfectly.....
    Love like light ..respect him/her...you will be happily married forever.....

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very well said smile

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Commendable indeed!
      Please dont go in search of imperfect person... Select anyone and love him perfectly. If your love is perfect, there will be no need to worry about perfection of the opposite.
      Respect him... that will make him perfect.

13. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61

Then he will win the client's case. And lose his own case.

14. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Oral sex. I'll post a more thought out answer later smile

1. profile image0

....smile

2. Shil1978 profile image87
      Shil1978posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lol -- that was a good one smile

15. SoManyPaths profile image58
    SoManyPathsposted 14 years ago

I agree with Janetta's comment but would add really listening and remembering.

16. profile image0
    DjBryle Worksposted 14 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful feed backs! smile

17. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

I read it on a quoted T-Shirt and this quote is very old but because no one has spoken it yet so I will steal the opportunity. it is very simple

MARRY SOMEONE WHOM YOU CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT AND NOT SOMEONE WITH WHOM YOU WANT TO LIVE.

Howzzat?

1. profile image0

Great!... not everyone is blessed with someone they can't live without... thanks for sharing this thoughtful and wonderful insight! I love it! smile

18. Elynjo profile image59
    Elynjoposted 14 years ago

Honesty and Communication.

19. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61

The spouse's mistakes should be overlooked. Make her happy by turning every one of her/ his words as jokes and make her laugh whenever she tries to bite you. Even the harshest words should not be taken seriously... There are tactics to overturn their words against themselves. But before that find out where the mistake is... if it is yours, say sorry! If it is hers, take it into your mind and apply whenever she accuses you for the same mistake. Instant retarding will complicate things... Take breathe, select words and then apply.  Men or women, everyone wants a cute and intelligent partners..... so, try to be more intelligent than her or him.

20. Isela profile image60
    Iselaposted 14 years ago

Ride out the bad times thinking about the good ones! It´s like a roller coaster ...grit your teeth during the scary parts. Treasure the moments, a kiss, a hug, and during the bad times go those "happy moments". But...it´s hard! (married 18 years this January arghhh!!!)

21. Capable Woman profile image61
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

Always remember that the truth of human romantic relationships is that someone is in charge. Someone has to be. Make sure it's you.

The one who loves least is the one who controls the relationship. I think Dr. Phil said that...he's a turd but that statement is true.

Does this sound cynical? If so, just know that my GF is 10 years younger than me and gets mistaken for Angelina Jolie all the time and, oh yeah, and she's a genius, witty and mad about me.

Every other girl she's ever known has fallen all over themselves to be with her. Don't do that even if every bit of you wants to.

Counter-intuitive but truth.

hmmm..I may write a hub about this wink

22. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Be forgiving!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)