Cancelling Christmas

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Abzolution profile image60
    Abzolutionposted 12 years ago

I was wondering wether or not I could afford a Christmas this year. I was thinking how much better off we could all be if we really bit the bullet and didn't have the usual end of the year splash out. I would rather have save it and start 2012 off witha bit of breathing space.
      I estimate that our christmas would cost approx £500, that is alot to scrape together for a week of frolicking.

I already have developed a habit of worrying over money, but next January could be harsher than ever. I don't mean to be a scrooge, I enjoy christmas as much as the next girl. But will it cost me more than just cash ?

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are very new on Hubpages. You should start writing Christmas hubs now as people have already started their Christmas shopping. You may be in for a pleasant surprise come Christmas. Let your Amazon earnings pay for your Christmas this year by writing lots of sales hubs and getting lots of sales.

1. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Now stop being all helpful and all that - how are us established writers going to corner the Christmas market if you encourage new writers to do the same LOL. Being serious - great advice and it's also a great way to learn how to write hubs!!!

1. IzzyM profile image88

LOL, with a slapped subdomain I don't think this Christmas is going to be good for me. I'm still writing serious hubs to try and get out if it when I should be writing my own sales hubs!

2. breeze216 profile image60
        breeze216posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Izzy...maybe you can help me.  I applied for adsense over a month ago  and it says I am still being reviewed??   I REapplied again tonight.  How else can money be made writing on hubpages...any advice?

1. IzzyM profile image88

Amazon, you can apply directly to them to become an affiliate, but this information is short-lived as HP are changing Amazon over to become part of the HP Earnings program soon, and for that you need Adsense.

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub called 'Have a great Christmas with a limited budget' last year.

Essentially there are many ways to save at Christmas. Some ideas:
      -Have a grab bag with all your friends - that way you only have to buy one gift, rather than dozens of gifts.
      -Make gifts - some times a personal touch is better than a store bought gift
      -By on eBay - you can find some very nice (and cheap) items on eBay
      -Tell everyone you are not buying - you can still have a nice meal, and actually remember what Christmas is all about - it's not about gifts but about family.
      -Buy one 'family' gift - there are many things that can be bought that are great gifts for the whole - board games, movies etc.

3. Brooke Lorren profile image60
      Brooke Lorrenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never spent that much on Christmas.  I've never had that kind of money... I take that back - the years that I go to my parent's house for Christmas I spend more than that on travel.  That's not a necessity to have Christmas though.

One year, I spent $10 on Christmas gifts, total.  I entered contests and won a couple things, and had sent away for some McDonald's Monopoly game pieces that had Toys R Us coupons on them.

Back in the olden days, they used to give away homemade gifts, and maybe an orange or a piece of candy.  That cost less than the $10 I spent.

So don't cancel Christmas.  Just spend less :-)

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I think that's really good advise that Izzy has offered. I know from your profile page that you describe yourself as a 'mummy' I don't how old your kids are, but if they are really young, don't give way to the pressure of buying really expensive gifts. When my kids were really little they found playing with the boxes the gifts came in much more fun than the actual gift smile

3. Abzolution profile image60
    Abzolutionposted 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys, only been here a few days. Still gotta get into the swing of things smile

4. gvannorman150 profile image63
    gvannorman150posted 12 years ago

Hubpages is a great way to get a jump start on Christmas.  I just wrote a hub on christmas cash.  Not everyone has the means to go all out for their family come the holidays.  We can all use extra money.  This is where Hubpages can really help.  Your new so why not get started like Izzy said and write a few sales hubs and see your Amazon earnings jump come Christmas time.

Good Luck and enjoy the holidays.

5. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 12 years ago

I didn't realize Christmas had a price tag.  I guess some people can only celebrate by spending.  Other people celebrate the reason for having it in the first place.

Sad commericialization of the holiday has ruined it for some.

6. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I think people have forgotten the original meaning of Christmas.  Even as an atheist, I can appreciate the message of good will to mankind that this time of year offers. 

Children are being given the wrong impression that Christmas is all about the size and cost of their present.  It would be so much nicer, if the good message of Christmas could be taught instead.  Setting children up for disappointment, if they do not have a lot of money spent on them, will make them grow up without appreciation for the good things in life, and a realisation that they don't all come with a price ticket.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Where is the Walmart in this picture?

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium/nativity-scene-sonja-anderson.jpg

It's hard to not give gifts to children who are expecting them, but you could always make stuff together as a family, or tell them that this year you want to focus on the real meaning of the holiday

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can't you recognize Sam Walton in the beard wearing the crown? smile

8. profile image0
    Wilfionposted 12 years ago

I remember my mom telling me, that when she was young, she had a stocking, which contained an orange, an apple, some nuts, and one big present, maybe of a doll, and half a crown in money.  Christmas decorations were not put up until Christmas Eve, yet she remembers Christmas as being a good time.  My dad even told me that he was given a block of wood one year, and told to carve his own toy out of it.

9. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

I don't think kids should watch TV at all! All those ads! They present a lot of crap toys in a beautiful way, appealing way, kids will want this or that and parents will be sad if they cannot afford all that stuff. We have forgotten about something we cannot buy. We should not cancel Christmas or any holiday because it's a chance to have your family together and tell everybody how lucky you are to have them.
    And you always can catch some wild turkey... big_smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5673808_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
      Wilfionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Poor turkeys. I bet they don't look forward to Christmas.  Having your head and feet chopped off, feathers plucked and stuffing shoved up places where it has no business being shoved, isn't my idea of festive cheer.

2. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

In our immediate family, we cancelled Christmas three years ago, meaning, no presents. Some had a hard time with this at first. However, everyone eventually got in tune with the spirit of being together and being thankful, sharing thoughts about peace and good will. We get together now at Christmas for telling stories, listening to music, cooking and eating, and maybe playing a board game or two and, if there's snow, playing with that. No cell phones or laptops allowed. smile

Our gifts to each other are the gifts of ourselves being together. It's very nice.

3. habee profile image90
      habeeposted 12 years ago

Hubby and I spend a fortune on Christmas, but we don't get into debt to do so. I shop all year. All three of my daughters and their families struggle financially, so we usually give the adults things they need: clothes, grocery gift cards, household goods, etc. We also try to give them something they wouldn't normally have in their budget, like gift cards to restaurants and to cinemas so that they can take the kids to the movies. The grandkids get a mixture of toys and clothes. We also buy gifts for underprivileged families. As long as we can afford to do all this, we will continue to do so. Even with all the "stuff," we always remember to impress upon the kids the true meaning of Christmas and the importance of sharing with those less fortunate.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good idea with regards to your daughters. They get practical things but treats also. I only have my son and daughter, mum and sister to buy for. I start early. When my kids were younger though I used to insist that they rounded up the toys they didn't play with any more and we've give them to Wood Street Mission. Similar purpose, disadvantaged families.

1. habee profile image90
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, Hollie! I think it's so important to teach kids about caring about our fellow earth dwellers - humans and animals.

Holle, Celtic warrior princess (my old signature I used when I was teaching!)

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, beautiful name. My daughter's name is Hollie, my son's Thomas. My name is Lisa. (using the name Hollie makes me feel young and fresh though smile )  You're absolutely right, I think it is important to teach kids about caring for others. My daughter still gives clothes and other bits and bobs to a younger girl in our street (Chelsea, the younger girl, lives with her grandmother and her mother is a substance user) My son on the other hand, wears and uses things until they're no longer fit for purpose lol

4. davenmidtown profile image67
      davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

Christmas should be more about being together as a family then about presents.  We have not had Christmas for ten years now... but we get together and have a great meal and spend time visiting and catching up as a family.

5. Jewels profile image81
      Jewelsposted 12 years ago

I haven't bought a Christmas gift in 8 years.  I stopped doing a commercial Christmas because in essence it was a waste of my time, stressful hunting for gifts that people didn't really want anyway, and a waste of money.

Going back to basics with Christmas would be a good thing for all of us.  Sharing a nice meal with family and friends, small gifts under $20 or even $10.  Make gifts - imagine if we all learned to knit socks or scalves.  It could be a novelty to see what color you got each year!

6. 2uesday profile image66
      2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I think adults can understand the logic of cutting down the amount you spend on Christmas and will happily accept a token gift and it is about getting the right gift for the person rather than spending a lot of money on presents. A small hamper or a re-usable bag with wrapped gifts that did not cost much to buy or make can be fun to put together and to receive.

The little ones (pre-school) are happy with the presents they get as Christmas is special to them anyway. You can could ask grand-parents to buy the item you know they will love.

The big problem of spending on Christmas gifts comes with older children and the peer pressure they experience in the 'who got the latest hi tech. gift or game' comparison conversations. Not sure how anyone copes with that one as I have not experienced it. 

I find it funny when little kids play with the cardboard box the gift came in before they are interested in the toy that was the gift. To me that demonstrates that before the age when they have input from the media and friends; if small children like something how much it cost is immaterial to them.

7. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

In tough years my family went for a $5 cap on gifts and pot luck dinner.  I doubt the whole thing cost anyone more than $20.

8. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

I have a blog with gift ideas, and toys under 20 for the little ones.

But, I had a neighbor with young kids who had hit hard times with job loss. 

Tips I gave to her: 

Kids need clothes: Instead of wrapping the matching shirt and pants together, wrap them separately.   Result: 2 gifts instead of 1.

Wrap everything separately, which makes it look like that have more gifts than they really have.

Big Kids:  Have them make a wish list,hopefully for gifts under x number of dollars. If there is something over the budget allowed, tell them that this may be the only one they get.  Call this their big gift. Buy them one thing that they really want. The rest of the gifts are to be for necessity items which you have to buy anyway.

Stop gift exchange between families. I buy for you, you buy for me.  Now does that really make sense?  All you are doing is spending money on each other, or look at it this way, exchanging money back and forth.

Just sit down with those who are old enough to understand, the money is not here this year, and you are going to have to cut back.

Choose a dinner that everybody is not going to tired of eating.  Maybe everybody is tired of the traditional dinner and prefer something else that is not so expensive. Holiday dinners can eat up one week of grocery money,just for one stinking meal.  Maybe there is one dish they all love, but don't really care for the rest.

Make your budget. Spend what you can afford to spend. Buy what is needed first. Then, if you have extra you can afford to spend, all well in good. It is not worth going in debt, maybe not being able to pay a heat bill just because of a holiday that is so overly commercialized.  Remember, most families are having a rough time this year. If you get lucky and earn a bit at the last minute, all well and good. If not, do the best you can.
      Christmas is time for family, not to go broke.

9. MarloByDesign profile image76
      MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

I am hardly spending anything on Christmas - just small, thoughtful gifts for my friends and family. We all agreed to do so this year!

10. Moderndayslave profile image61
      Moderndayslaveposted 12 years ago

This Christmas will not be like years past for many reasons,but after reading this I am much more happy about it.
      http://farmwars.info/?p=7318
      Vote with your wallet.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60
      LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

I wrote a hub on a cheap christmas: http://lindasmith1.hubpages.com/hub/Che … tmas-Ideas

There are lots of nice gifts for under $20. If you are a baker, candy maker, craft person, homemade gifts are nice.  I had a neighbor bake us cookies every year and I loved it.  But, she moved, so no more cookies.
      You can give a night of babysitting, cooking a meal, making a nice dessert as a gift whether you do it this year or at some point next yearl.

If you are single, without children over the age of 4, then you are  in pretty good shape. Babies don't know they are suppose to get presents.   

A lot of us have an empty or almost empty Christmas cookie jar, so those you know certainly will understand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)