How to Tell a Hubber You Respect that there Info is Totally Wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

I thought long and hard how to title this post. Basically, I read a Hub a few minutes ago (not a new one) by a Hubber whom I respect and admire but was embarrassed for them by the number of inaccuracies in their Hub. I am sure they believe what they wrote is fact but they have clearly never visited the country in question (mine!) and their info is beyond laughable. I did not comment on the Hub, so there is no point checking my history! lol

Essentially, their Hub is so far off the mark it would be embarrassing for me to comment on it. My question is: should I privately e-mail the writer and try to gently and subtly point out the major inaccuracies, or just leave well alone? I promise, they are glaring clangers that will annoy a lot of particularly Scots but also other Brits.

I hope no one thinks I am trying to be condescending here - I promise you, I am not. I am just more than anything surprised that a Hub by this particular writer has been published which has so little basis in fact... sad

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I guess it depends what kind of info is inaccurate... ?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's been taken from a very low quality website, RebekahELLE, or book. The info is so bad (don't want to give too much away here) it even makes a distinction between the British and the Scottish. Errr... Scotland, England and Wales are the British, with Northern Ireland forming the fourth component part of the UK...

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well, you could either send a private email or perhaps write a hub yourself.
        The hubber may or may not be receptive to your email. I have seen these kind of hubs also, and I leave them alone. If that's what they want to write.. it's their hub and their subdomain.

3. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I think I would privately email this Hubber and let them know what you have discovered.  Sometimes, I'd like to email a Hubber and let them know there are misspelled words of poor grammar in their Hub, but I don't.   Then I feel bad because I didn't say anything, because I'd appreciate it if someone pointed out my mistakes.  Just an iffy thing.......

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

well GH if the hub wasn't researched and it is really that bad - then why not email them - maybe they will be up for learning something and do a rewrite...i guess you'll have to take the chance the person will be receptive - especially if the information is wrong

5. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Question: Is the hub rated highly?
    Are there a lot of comments on the hub?
    Is it possible the inaccuracies are there out of naivete?
    I mean, perhaps the hubber honestly believes the things s/he says about your country.

I agree with others here that rather than publicly embarrassing the hubber by reaming him/her out on their hub, a private email would preferable.
    However, Having recently had someone do just that -- send me a private email expressing supreme disappointment in one of my hubs -- I would caution you to be tactful and sensitive in your communication.
    Think long and hard (as you have already) about what is your motivation and what do you hope to achieve.

Good luck.
    Don't think it's needed, tho. You've got a good handle on the issue, Gordon!

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Thanks very much to all of you for replying to this and collectively giving me the idea for what I hope is the right approach.

I have e-mailed the Hubber tonight, simply stating that I saw their Hub and wondered if they would be interested in some authentic, original photographs and information from a local to help them embellish their topic. I have plenty of original photos that I will happily send if they wish them of the areas mentioned.

Thanks to each one of you for your help - much appreciated! smile

1. jimmythejock profile image84
      jimmythejockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You had me worried there Gordon lol, was about to look through all of my hubs and find where i went wrong.no email from you breathing a huge sigh of relief lol.....jimmy

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are a diplomat. I don't know that I would have been so kind as to offer original photographs.

However, you did the right thing. That Hubber can take your message and generosity to heart, improving his/her work here, or can shrug off your offer and lead a lesser life for it. Cheers to you!

You always knew you'd email them privately; you didn't need the forum here to help you make that decision. But you did a lot of good by showing hubbers who might be confused about what to do, what to do.

If somebody wrote an article about my town saying that Duck Deli was five miles from where it's located, or something, I'd be emailing them instantly.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

It shows the weakness of people writing travel hubs about places they have never visited. There is so much travel crap on the Internet it isn't funny. Most of it is totally useless.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

Agreed. I did a freelance stint a long while ago writing short articles describing points of interest in locations I'd never been to. One of the locations was a major city in South America whose only claim to fame was that it was a drug cartel center. And I was supposed to make this a desired destination? That was the end of my engagement with those kinds of assignments.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did some for Internet Brands and Pure Content and I was never happy with them. Thankfully, they were not published under my own name...

1. Sally's Trove profile image78

Same here...that stuff never went out under my own name.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)