More Improvements to HP Earnings Rolling Out

Jump to Last Post 51-59 of 59 discussions (184 posts)
  1. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

Just a thought about my explosive increase. The best hub "How to be a Good Student" is 1462 words long (and has pictures) and the second best "What is Domicile" has 7358 words.
    My hub metrics show 5 boxes for each, indicating that people do read the articles all the way through. Under the "click" payment system they did not click off so my earnings were low.
    With HPads the payment is based on how long the ad is on screen. As I write long interesting hubs (modest!) the ads are on screen a long time.
    The change in payment system has worked for me!

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
      Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Charles, I've read your posts and want to congratulate you on your successes, you remind me of me in the beginning but it took over 2 years to really hit your success i.e.

The 400% increase- but what I'm chiming in about here is to tell you that your niches (hubs topics) are your gold, you should protect WHICH hubs make money with your life- people will and are always looking for the Hub-Goose, that laid the golden hubs (can be made into several equally (in time) successful hubs due to it's topic being timeless and valuable to people)- you don't want to tell people what hubs exactly are earning your power earning hubs because they will copy you and become your competition... in this business sharing is ok but being specific in a forum or group setting is not a good idea especially since anyone off hubpages like marketers who build sites for adsense will use cleaver search phrasing to see what is earning out there- telling one or two people is fine but in PM...

just thought I'd impart some of the wisdom I've learned the hard way... Although I too just did that with my last comment lol but sometimes I sacrifice a niche to help others learn... I wish you luck! HP is starting to really earn money for us!

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 12 years ago

Hi Charles does it really depend on how long the user is on the screed? Because if that's the case it will explain the rise in my CPM. big_smile
    That will answer the question I posted if it's true smile
    http://hubpages.com/question/140318/how … rogram-cpm

The time on page is a peice of the Google/hubpages algorythm but likely not a huge part, it counts because if someone lands on a page and stays there it's likely they were interrested enough to read the whole thing- that makes it valuable property (to the google advertisers). If they bounce within 15 seconds it's bad (called bounce rate)- also I believe google requires a click through to the next page, for them to be there more than 15 seconds to count as a valid click (rumor)...

One trick to keep your "on page" rate longer is to provide videos on your hubs near the top of the page (above the fold but as a side kick to the text capsule not a top of the page hogging video size). If you write on a dry topic for example adding a video could help your bounce rate as the video will likely engage them, run the 15 second clock out and if it's interesting enough it will also get them to actually read the page.

Good Luck!

...another trick on the video concept is to put [VIDEO] (with the brackets) at the end of your hub title as this will likely get someone who'd of not clicked into your hub from Google or a search engine (within or without hubpages) to click in as people love videos on topics they enjoy.

I noticed mashable.com doing this every time a post had a video in it and myself would often click in just because I knew the video would be less taxing than reading the page if the topic wasn't that cool. If it was that cool video is even better...

They have a lot of short (200 words or so) blogs with videos they popped in from youtube- the 200 words was just for SEO and often was a rewrite of the video contents/information- which is an interesting way to build a hubpages too.

I'd keep this to a minimum though but using the video (tagged to the end of your hubs with a video on them) is a great way to get more people to click into YOUR hub/page from a list of other potential topics...

They may have a word limit so I would check on that.

When I make my hubpages tutorial videos (my hub ninja series)  I'd love to just put the video in there and not have to write anything but you can't do that (and it's not good for SEO either or ad clicking potential as it means less ads and if they just watch the video they don't scroll down and see ads- so what I do is summarize what I say/show them in the video but they have to see the video to get the full "trick/tactic" I'm teaching them. You can use the hub to explain why this is a great trick to use etc... then show them the actual mechanics in the video.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Jerrico big_smile

Your welcome smile

big_smile

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google defines a bouncing visitor as one that clicks in and then leaves the site from that same page.  They give no indication that time is a factor.

Hubbers tend to have high bounce rates because the typical organic visitor clicks a link to come to us for particular information.  Once they get that information they click back out and are gone - they have bounced by definition.  Even if that is through an Amazon link (a good thing!) it is still a bounce.  Only those that go from one hub to another before leaving your subdomain have not bounced, and that is relatively rare for organic visitors.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's also a bounce if you visit the site in a new tab and then forget about closing it..  which many of us do constantly.   Time is a factor in that case.

And no, that's not rumor or supposition or guessing.   That comes from testing and I wrote it all up in a hub some time ago.  So, unless something has changed more recently, time does matter - negatively.

As i said then:  "A timeout is a bounce as far as Google knows. The person might have read your page over and over, but Google records zero time on the page. Think about how common that is with tabbed browsers!"

1. wilderness profile image95

You're right of course - google figures that not closing a tab for hours is the same as closing it and thereby leaving the site from that same page.

Do you mean that if a searcher goes to hub A and then to hub B (in the same subdomain) 5 seconds later it is counted as a bounce from hub A?  That would be contrary to their description (not saying it isn't true, though).

No, that's not a bounce.

If you have Analytics and a "secret" page with links, it's easy to test this stuff for yourself - you just need enough patience for it to show up in Analytics and a page nobody but you can get to (easy enough on your own site).

1. wilderness profile image95

I missed the last paragraph of your earlier post, about a timeout being a bounce (do I need new glasses or did you edit?)

A timeout would actually be a bounce only if that page timing out was the first page visited on your site.  If a visitor lands on hub A, goes to hub B which then times out it is not a bounce because hub B is not the original landing page.  It shows 0 time on page, but is not a bounce.

Or have your tests showed otherwise?

Yes, exactly.

But that's a very common event, especially with tabbed browsers.   I search frequently, open a result in a new tab and then may go back to search without even reading it yet (I often open multiple results and then look through them) or may go read it thoroughly and leave it open for a long while - in fact, the more useful the page is, the more likely I am to just leave it open in a tab - which is a bounce to Google.

That's sheer craziness.

2. wilderness profile image95

I'm the same - always have at least 4 tabs open and often 8 or 10.  And those last 4 or 6 tabs seldom get changed to another page on the same site.  Looking for Amazon products or searches for a capsule, maybe, but that's about it.

So if Big G likes low bounce rates (seems reasonable) how can we get ours lower?  I provide lots in interlinking, and get 100-200 views each day from my own subdomain but my bounce rate rate is still over 80%.  Nor can I think of anything else to do - our type of writing and site just isn't conducive to lowering bounce rates.

3. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

Interesting Charles.  I guess I didn't really realize that HPads were based on the length of time the ad is on the screen.  I tend to write longer hubs as well so hopefully this will be a plus for me.

4. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

Jerrico

Many thanks for your advice about caution. I really am only making peanuts (if that) from hubbing, but I will take your advice now about keeping my successful hubs confidential. When I find I have an Eldorado hub I will not tell anyone.

Hi charles,

You may be making peanuts right now, but trust me- hubs tend to "season" over the years. I have one hub that started off for the first 6 months without any traffic. The 6th month it started to get some comments, nothing big, making a few cents a month- then in the 9th month it sprouted wings- this tiny hub I made just out of a need for a way to point people I knew to it (I got tired of repeating myself about something) turned out to be a HIGH DEMAND topic and my advice was unique (I got the idea from my mom who read it in a magazine when i was 9, I'm 36 now!).

Anyway, this hub makes over 200.00 a month by itself with NO promotion, and has:

a.)  1,064,187 page views in that 3 years since it was born

b.)  Currently 787 Comments (major conversations) with 10-30 a day still coming in like clock work

c.) I turned it into a site (rewrote content and parlayed it into 15 pages funneled the traffic from the hub (only source of traffic) to the site and in the first month it generated (and continues to generate) 100.00 (adsense only) this doubled my income but cold have been someone elses income had I bragged to the wrong person as the domain I aquired was the keyword that hit number 1 on Google (that was an accident based on the title!) but nobody thought to grab it- why? Because i didn't brag.

d.) I since (few weeks ago) moved those 15 pages on the site BACK to hubpages as a hub series and turned the site into the navigation portal (will add videos commentating the hubs segments/pages and adding content for google- thus the site could make money still just being a portal (youtube monetized videos, adsense, etc...)

e.) The hubs are taking off like mad (the goose that laid the golden hubs!)

So a hub that is dead today could be a gold mine in a year, or two years. Hubpages CEO mentioned in a press release that hubs tend to marinate and escalate in earnings over a 3 year period- then stabilize- I've seen this phenomenon several times in my account.

So don't take anything for granted- you'd be surprised. I didn't write that hub to make money, I wrote it to resolve a problem I had (repeating myself)- and today it makes a quarter of my earnings by itself and has well over a million page views... my advice, keep wirting hubs, you never know which one is the Goose that lays the golden hubs, just keep them timeless, and well formatted (SEO), and under 1k words (Google seems to be favoring the 1kish articles these days over short pages)...

I wish you luck! Hubpages is really starting to take off and I haven't even started using Amazon/eBay- that's my next job- 438 hubs ... that's going to be a chore but with the new earnings commissions starting high it's a worthy thing to do.

Oh that's going to take time - adding amazon and ebay to 438 big_smile
        Wish you success and patience hehe wink

not looking forward to it- I did one hub so far LOL, it's new territory for me, I always focused on adsense and now have that down pat (on and off HP), I have 60 domains, all of which I'm about to migrate to HP but a few, I like the portfolio balancing act of HP ads/monetize options over adsense and don't have the patience yet to learn the other types freestyle (off hp)... I have enough content to build 1k more hubs easily but that too- will take a great deal of time... but if this site generates 2-4k a month for me, the effort will be worth it- patience is not my strong suit LOL

Jerrico that's great, I'm going to follow you to know when you get those new hubs big_smile
            It will surely be worth it. Go ahead and do it!!

I've decided to publish them as plain jane hubs, no formatting other than paragraph seperation and of course basics. I can easily go back and tune them up but meanwhile they will be published and seasoning... every 10 hubs I add seems to boost my earnings by 1.00 a day or more, I'm noticing a climb, although didn't try this with plain hubs but the tweaking I'll do later (seperating into capsules etc...) will help ranking as it will force me to write more and create changed/updated hubs etc...

By the way I came to realize that creating hub series, i.e. taking a 4k word hub and turning it into 4 1k word hubs is a great way to boost ad impressions. It creates a 4 page (each one must stand alone though) hub, 4 hubs- and as one visitor reads and moves on to the next hub it's a new impression (seperate ads on new pages). I'm thinking that this is a great way to boost your impressions on ads by creating "series". What makes them a series is simply having hubs that are linked together like "click here to read the next segment in this series"... I'm doing this with my sites easily as they are already seperate pages and self sufficient concepts embedded in a 10 page larger concept i.e. kitchen cabinets and a hub on oak cabinetry, one on red wood and so on...

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
                Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jerrico, That last point is a great idea. I use the "groups" feature to place all my Hubs, that belong together in a series, into their own group. Then I order them in the group so readers can see the next in the series.  However, I like your method better because I wonder how may people actually notice the group links at the bottom. With your method you can actually say "read the next in this series" and that is giving an action command, which is known to work well. Thanks for sharing the idea, I'm going to do it too.

I prefer to use the text capsule for those links too because I can control everything about it, I even tested using a text box next to a text box (to use the blue background) and putting the link under an image. The left side text box is used to explain what's coming in the next in the series...

I've suggested before that we have a "link capsule".  There are cases where a hub is actually in two groups and visitors might like to follow either path.

2. janderson99 profile image54
                  janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I put all my titles into an Excel Spreadsheet with the embedded links by directly copying from the 'My account page'.  Its a bit of a pain to do the editing, but you only have to do it once, and the links then can be pasted directly into the text capsule.  You can then use a filter to select titles that match a keyword. Copy from the Excel file into a Text Capsule to create the list of links. AS suggested use a heading such as "For related articles about aaaaa see:"
                  You can use the color options if you use half width, shifted to the right.

5. moiragallaga profile image76
    moiragallagaposted 12 years ago

Great news. Don't really understand the technical aspect to all of this but I trust it is in the best interest of the Hub Pages community so thank you.

6. queen cleopatra profile image87
    queen cleopatraposted 12 years ago

This is one of the reasons why I am proud to be in the HubPages community. Thank you much, much, much!

7. profile image0
    cr00059nposted 12 years ago

HubPages is a fruitful community. I want to thank all administrators for helping the company run smoothly and effectively.  We have a long future ahead.

8. jainismus profile image74
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

Paul Edmondson, Thanks for sharing this information.

9. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Has anyone else seen a small drop in their Adsense CPM this January, I think from experience that it is an expected feature of January when Advertisers pay less per click. After passing the Adwords fundamental exam I should know this lol

Haha smile yes it's decreased

2. Jerrico Usher profile image56

yea I have, but it's bipolar smile so I'm not worried about it

I actually saw a dip then it boosted past my norm so far for two days straight (nice numbers), hope it lasts- although my hub score seems to have dipped my earnings have increased smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)