photo contest

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

I have read and reread the rules for the photo contest, and I'm still confused (it doesn't take much).  It isn't clear how many photos are to be used, or how much text has to be in the Hub.  Does the text have to contain 500 words?  Help if you know.  Thanks.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Haven't heard of the photo contest.  What is it?

mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Photo Gallery Category is listed on the contest page.

2. leahlefler profile image94
        leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi couturepopcafe,

There is a "Hubpages Patron of the Arts" contest currently running - for poetry, photography, and creative writing. You can find more detailed information here: http://hubpages.com/static/hubpatron_of_the_arts.php

2. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep it looks like you're going to have to include 500 words! I just published a photo and someone managed to dredge up 500 words to go with it!

Simone just posted a forum entry relating to this - so I can confirm 500 words it is!

2. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

Hi Mary,

For photo gallery hubs entered into the contest, a the total minimum word count requirement is 500 words. The number of photos used is up to you, but the hub must contain at least 500 words.

Thanks so much for your answer.  Oh, well, that leaves me out of the photo part of the contest.

I forgot to ask another dumb question:  Do the entries have to be a Hub that hasn NOT been published before?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
          Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes... Right from the contest rules:

"Be published for the first time on that given contest day"

2. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just add lots of fluff. Write about where you were when you took the photo, what the conditions were like - the settings on your camera - history of the place you visited - etc. On the one I just posted, I included a brief bio of my family dog - it's relevant to the picture and added just enough words for me to hit the 500!

1. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

500 words isn't much - I basically described my photos - got over 600 words

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I want to enter a short story. Don't I simply add "contest" to my tags to do so?

1. leahlefler profile image94
      leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Habee,

Yes - the process is pretty simple.

1) The hubs must be in the "Poems and Poetry," "Creative Writing," or "Photo Galleries" category

2) include "contest" in the tags.

I wrote my best poem ever (I think), but I just couldn't stretch it to 500 words, so I'll submit a short story instead.  Good luck, habee!

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You, too, Mary!

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
          FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the poem doesn't have to be 500 words. The entire hub does. You can write about what motivated you to write the poem,  what you were feeling when you wrote the poem or about why you chose that style of poetry. And remember that just because the contest is on doesn't mean that you can't keep publishing other hubs too. Go ahead a publish a photo gallery out of the contest. that is what I intend to do. If I write something that doesn't fit the guidelines of the contest, it can still be published. It might be perfect just the way it is.

4. viking305 profile image91
    viking305posted 12 years ago

I want to enter the photo gallery part of the contest.  I can not find the Photo Gallery category.  Looked everywhere but can not see it.  Can any one point me in the right direction please. 

Thanks

I had a problem trying to find the rules, etc. for this one. Go to Contest, and after the main page comes up, click on Photo Gallery or something like that. That should take you there.

1. viking305 profile image91
        viking305posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mary, I did that but I want to publish a hub and put it in the Photo Gallery Category but can not find it.  I can not see this category there at all

http://hubpages.com/topics/entertainmen … leries/772
          After you are in the contest page, there are three categories, one is Photo Galleries Category.  Click on that.  I think the main thing is to place it in the correct category, and be sure and include the tag "contest".  If someone knows a better way, I hope that let you know.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

It is NOt in the photography category, that is why. You have to go into the entertainment and media category. In there you will find a category called Photos and Videos. From that category, you find the Photo Gallery. Why it isn't under the Arts and Design super-category, I don't know.

1. viking305 profile image91

Thanks Flora for your reply.  You are correct it goes there.  I had it in the Arts and Design category too.  I just received this reply from Simone at the official contest forum link about 15 minutes ago

Hi viking305! Sorry for the confusion. It's Photo Galleries under Entertainment and Media. You should be fine so long as you re-categorize your entry before noon (PT) today

5. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

When you create your hub, choose photo gallery as the topic (browse the categories and the photo gallery option should be under the Arts and Design main category).

That sounds like a plan!  Thanks.

2. viking305 profile image91

That's great, thanks for the help

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

I believe the photo gallery option is actually in the entertainment and media section

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

that's where I found it too.

6. sofs profile image78
    sofsposted 12 years ago

The entries to photo gallery can use any number of pictures, just describing the setting or the photos themselves will run beyond the 500 word limit. I tried it out yesterday and found it hard to keep the word count down below the 1000 word mark.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)