Am I crazy? Are there 9 writers interested in crowdsourcing a novel?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. marriedwithdebt profile image76
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

Before you ask, yes, I'm probably crazy, but I think this could work with the right people.

What I am looking for is 9 other writers to join me in crowdsourcing a piece of genre fiction, approximately 50,000 words, with the goal of self-publishing on the Kindle platform by early Spring 2012 to catch all those new e-readers who got Kindles for Christmas.

I am thinking something horror, slasher, thriller, supernatural, suspense, or noir - basically something genre and not highbrow. No romance, no memoir, no meandering literary fiction. I personally think sci-fi is played out and can be too technical for quick writing. Nothing excessively violent (unless the group agrees), nothing with weird erotic undertones or a need for many love scenes.

Each writer would write only 5,000 words, picking up with the story and voice from the previous writers. Each writer would do 2,500 words on the first round, then it would cycle back through for another round of 2,500 words each, for a total of 50,000 words. The goal would be to do this quickly, with as little effort as possible.

We could then sell the book for a low price, say $1.99, and split the profits amongst the writers. Since this was my idea, and I plan to be the overseer, editor, Amazon liaison, etc, I would take 20% of the total profit, with the remaining 80% to be split 9 ways. By my rough calculations, you would earn $0.12 for each book we sold at a $2 price point (I don't think we should price any higher or lower). If you price at $2, it is my understanding that we would split 70% of the profit amongst ourselves, with Amazon keeping 30%. For every 10,000 copies we sell, you earn $1,200.

Yes, I am aware that others have tried this before, but I don't know if they succeeded. I think we have plenty of talented fiction writers at HubPages, and we could blog about the process as well as write Hubs along the way.

SUGGESTED TIMELINE
    Week One - Writers apply by posting on this Hub (please have a writing sample on your wall)

Week Two - Chosen writers each, if interested, submit a story idea, with a synopsis and 10-chapter outline; by the end of the week, all writers will vote on which story we will write together

Week Three, Four and Five - The writer whose story was chosen will write the first 2,500 and submit to the group by end of the second day; second writer will immediately pick up for next two days, etc. After 3 weeks, we will be half done writing.

Week Six - We will re-evaluate here; discuss how the story is going; possibly keep writing

Week Seven, Eight and Nine - Second round of writing 2,500 words each, then we are done

Week Ten and Beyond - Editing (by me and by the group), formatting, book cover design and submission to Kindle; promoting like crazy after that

So what are the pros and cons of doing this?

Pros:
    Not much writing for each author (5,000 words each)

The quick timeline means we can�¢ï¿½ï¿½t second guess ourselves, we just do it!

10 people promoting the book, rather than just one (blogs, forums, etc)

No upfront cost; if it fails, the most you are out is your time and 5,000 words

Cons:
    Can we all agree on a story to write?

Are we prepared to fail (story could be a total mess when finished)

Are you comfortable publishing a book under a pseudonym and sharing the limelight?

Laziness, missed deadlines, or sloppy writing could infect the entire team

Would probably have to sign an agreement that put your rights to the work in question, but it would protect your share of the profits

What Kind of Writer Am I Looking For?

Experience with genre or literary fiction

One who is able to meet a two-day goal of 2,500 words

One who has published an e-book of fiction will be given priority if more than 9 applications

One who is able to assume a collective identity of the author when promoting, that way it seems like our one author is in ten places.

Full disclosure: I have really only written literary fiction, but have years of editing and reading experience.

So, what does everyone think of this?

Could it work? Are you interested?

Let me know in comments.

Thanks

1. cdub77 profile image70
      cdub77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What about something a little less ambitious...say three or four writer's total? Is 50k some sort of word limit? How'd you come up with that number?

I think of success in terms of building a career.  I wouldn't think doing this for an immediate financial success would be a good idea, but to have another piece of writing out there to help build our names, brands and reputations might work.  To do that, though, it'd have to be like minded writers, or similarly branded.  I like the seed of this idea.  It seems as if it could yield an interest story. 

I particularly like the idea of an agreed upon story narrated by different characters where each character's perspective is written by a different writer, but that's a little different than what you propose.

2. profile image0
      writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds to me like a very 'novel novel'. Just not in a good way.

2. marriedwithdebt profile image76
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

Bumped...no takers.....

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Post your job on Elance, you might get better responses there.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marriedwithdebt,

Your idea sounds feasible and workable in theory but do you know what's probably working against you on HP more than anything? The fact that you're so new here and no one knows you.

Cardisa is almost certainly right.

Please don't think that I am suggesting you are anything other than genuine - I am not. It's just the understandable reluctance of people to go with unproven Internet schemes in modern days that may be the issue.

I wish you good luck, whatever you choose to do,

Gordon

marriedwithdebtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks

3. cherylone profile image88
    cheryloneposted 12 years ago

I'm willing to try, but what type of book are we talking about.  I like to write quick books with an ending that leaves the reader guessing.

A quick book with an ending like that would fit the bill - just would need to be in the vein of genre fiction.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Sort of interested but don't know if I qualify.  5,000 words is a piece of cake and I do like the genre you suggest.  What's to lose?  smile

That's the spirit! Certainly with any project, you could think of many reasons not to do it. It's those who say "Why not?" and actually do it that succeed.

5. HattieMattieMae profile image61
    HattieMattieMaeposted 12 years ago

hmm...I don't think I'm qualified, to spiritual, and without love their is no soul! lol I'm all about love and not war! But i'm sure the beat goes on, and you will find someone! smile

6. mortimerjackson profile image58
    mortimerjacksonposted 12 years ago

Not interested. I think that since this "novel" is going to be something that's written quickly, it should be written for free. Rather than try to make a buck off of it, try to use it to build up your name as a writer.

I'm an author myself, and I've had enough of an experience to know that just putting something up on sale isn't going to do anything. You have to earn the interest of your audience.

Also, I would never put something up on sale that I haven't edited at least 4 times. I am working on other projects right now, and I won't release them until next year specifically because I want to make sure the product is quality when it comes out.

If you do get people to sign on to this though, I stress that you'll get a better reception if you put it out for free than if you charge for it.

Amazon won't allow you to give a book away for free, must start at at least 99 cents.

Yes, this is more of an experiment.

As far as editing, if my timeline is followed, the manuscript will be edited 10 times.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)