Weight loss for diabetics..

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. iloveglee83 profile image60
    iloveglee83posted 12 years ago

I just found out I have borderline type 2 diabeties. My doctor said I was so close to it being an actual diagnoise that he was just going to treat me as if I already had it. He put me on a 1200 calorie diet and told me to exersise, thats it. He also gave me a prescription for metforman. I took it for about a month before I stopped because it made me very ill.  I since then have not gone back to my doctor because I got denied for the low income insurance and couldnt afford to go. I have read things about doing the low carb, weight watchers etc if you have type 2 diabeties.

So my main question is this, what diet do you recommend and what excersize program? Anything will be helpful.

1. Michelle Hertz profile image60
      Michelle Hertzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you don't have a juicer, go get one.  Use it at least 2 times a day as a substitute for a meal (maybe breakfast) then as a snack.  If you really want to go for it, make a few all day to keep from getting hungry and eat small little "meals" throughout the day, sticking to more plant based products that are whole foods (unprocessed in any way)  You should start to feel better after a few days and you will see you can eat more calories and have weight still come off. 
      Watch the movie "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" on Netflix if you have it. It's about 2 guys who juice fast (this isn't what I'm recommending) for 60 days and all the amazing changes it brings on.
      Email me and I'd be happy to help or answer any questions.  I have a blog on juicing, but I'd be glad to help you personally.  Type 2 diabetes is such a growing problem, I would sure like to see you conquer it. smile

2. stars439 profile image58
      stars439posted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my view you should get advice from a doctor. There are doctors in charity hospitals that can help you if you have a charity hospital near you. You should be treated by professionals. My wife , and I are from Louisiana, and we attend a charity hospital. You need to see a professional on a regular basis. God Bless You.

2. avidix profile image60
    avidixposted 12 years ago

Today morning I just read in news paper that a few doctors and scientists have reached on result after a research that diabetes and weight gain has got NO direct relation. They were researchinh in Jaipur India. I will read more and come bk to detail.

iloveglee83posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a very intereseting article I would would love to know more about what it says.

1. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope your doctor gave you a list of foods you should and shouldn't eat on that 1200 calorie diet.  If not, there are some really good diabetic cook books on the market these days.  You can get The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook or Prevention's Diabetes Diet Cookbook right online. And if you don't like those, there are so many others available.  The internet is full of information to help you manage your diabetes.  All you need do is look for it.  Exercise is the easy part, you don't need money or special equipment, just start by walking 15 to 20 minutes a day and work your way up from there. Whether you actually have diabetes or are borderline, losing weight and exercising can only help you. Good luck.

Thank you! and no my doctor didnt give me a list of foods, just told me I could eat whatever as long as I stayed at 1200 calories and exersized.

2. joecseko profile image61
          joecsekoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a great point! The "types of foods" is exactly right.

2. joecseko profile image61
        joecsekoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like a VERY stupid thing to say! Might have read that in the Sunday comics, but NOT in a medical journal.

I felt a bit ill after reading a few of the replies, iloveglee83, so I won't address any of the others.

Firstly, calorie restriction IS NOT the way to get your blood sugar under control!!! Blood glucose rises after we ingest certain macronutrients (mostly starches and sugars). The idea is control the rate at which your BG rises. There are two schools of thought on this:

1) Eating whole foods, preferably raw when it's feasible helps control the rate at which the BG rises. Whole foods (foods that haven't been processed) are digested much more slowly-- they're tougher and the natural bonds haven't been broken (digestive enzymes break the numerous types of bonds in our food).

Now you're like "tougher?". Yes, food is churned and torn apart in our stomach via peristalsis. This is actual mechanical digestion where the food is essentially thrashed and mixed with gastric juices. Some foods are so tough and contain so few calories that we refer to them as catabolic foods. This means it actually takes more calories to chew, swallow, and digest the food than it provides.

The glycemic index is a list comprised of all sugary and starchy foods. All you really need to know when you consult that guide; the lower numbers are the most favorable. Also, that number goes up when the food is cooked.

2) Adding small amounts of fat to starchy meals. This is helpful because fat slows the digestion of any other macronutrient (protein, fats and carbs are macronutrients). Therefore, the sugar enters the bloodstream at a much slower rate- giving insulin enough time to store the glucose as glycogen, rather than transporting it to the liver to be converted to fat. Just for the record; when people say "good fats" they're referring to monounsaturates. Polyunsaturates are still a "good fat", but the preponderance of evidence points to monounsaturates being the healthiest (though you need them all).

As you can see this is turning into a thesis. I've given you enough keywords and ideas to do more research, if you choose. Some of my articles may be helpful. Also, buy the South Beach Diet. It's based on similar theories and actually written by a world renowned cardiologist.

Hope that helps smile Oh, and this is my job... pretty sure Ive got my facts straight ;-)

3. avidix profile image60
    avidixposted 12 years ago

Hello,
    India's No.2 most circulating news daily- Dainik Bhaskar reported today that after two researches done by The Endocrinology department by the doctors SMS Medical college, Jaipur, The HoD Dr. S Mathur declared that In India the genes FTO and the Genes of Diabetes are not at all related with each other. The research was done on 66 patients out of which 33 were diabetic and other 33 were non Diabetic. This report is published in the latest International Endocrine review magazine.
    The important thing thing is not the fat but the type of fat.
    In the same context studies in other countries shows that both kind of genes are related with each other.
    ADVISABLE- In the problem of Obesity / Diabetes A walk of 45 minutes is sufficient to take care of.
    Start with easy walk for 1st 15 days then add brisk walk for 10 minutes in the mid of walk then after 15 more days extend the brisk walk time. after that add Jogging for 5 to 10 minutes and the accordingly add some running in the second half of 45 mnts session. If you will start doing that then after a month you will enjoy just enjoy the walking.You can not miss it at the cost of anything. Just 15 days in the beginning you will have to be disciplined and make efforts then onwards you will see the effects. Remember 45 mnts means 45 mnts. 
    In the meantime if you can join Yoga and Just do a Pranayama named as -Bhastrika.which is very simple and miraculously effect on more then 30 types of ailments, then you will forget about medicines,diet control and all the complications of Diabetes.
    Hope that you will spare your life saving 45 minutes either in morning or in evening- Best Wishes for a healthy life.... 
    One more thing You yourself can treat you,and none other will come for it.

So basically they are saying the cure is walking?

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

My best friend got diagnosed as borderline type 2 just a few months ago, and her doctor too said she would treat her as if she really had it.  She was not given meds.  Her doctor discussed exercise with her and they came up with a program for her to follow.  Then she was sent to talk to a nutritionist who went over all the specifics of food with her, and gave her a whole bunch of recipes and advice for how to control specific elements of her eating (sugars and carbs).

She's lost a whole bunch of weight and her blood sugar levels are doing what the doctor wanted all without meds and she's not freaking out over not being able to eat normal foods or cook for her husband because she was taught what to moderate and how. 

I think you need to find some nutritional counseling so that you can be taught how to adapt from the lifestyle you were leading to the changes you need to make, and talk with a trainer about how to adapt from the physical lifestyle you had before to one which will help you shift your health.

5. nancyyoung1 profile image61
    nancyyoung1posted 12 years ago

The best thing i ever had is Aiya matcha green tea. It is beneficial for diabetics and useful for weight loss.

6. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 12 years ago

The key is to eat low-carbohydrate diet in order not to have a spike in blood sugar and insulin.   I understand that cutting out carbs, you need to replace it with something in order not to be hungry.  Eat vegetables most, an then fruits.  And then protein and then healthy fats in that proportion.  Never eat trans fats.  I'm not saying saturated fat is healthy.  But if I had to choose between one or the other, I would choose animal saturated fat (as in salmon, chicken, and turkey) over carbohydrates (such as potatoes, breads, pasta).

Your doctor is correct, you need to do exercise both aerobics and resistance training.  They have the effect of making your cells more insulin sensitive (which is what you want).

Watch the talks by Dr. Bernstein on how he reversed the harmful effects of diabetes: http://funandeducational.com/?p=1729

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)