Using correct keywords increases traffic over time?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (66 posts)
  1. jfay2011 profile image60
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

I have smartened up and am using the correct keywords, making use of google keyword tool and the backlinks etc..  I did notice an increase that was higher than usual yesterday.  Today it isn't as much, but its probably due to people are gone, travelling, shopping etc...
    My question, is that over time, providing I am using the correct keywords, seo, backlinks, popular and quality topic, will I see an increase higher over time?  I mean, so far I've only had two days since I edited and fine tuned stuff.  And I am seeing a small amount of increase in traffic.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your traffic increase was probably your own views as you edited.

I had a look at a few of your hubs, and to be honest they would come under the heading of "purely personal".

Hubpages is NOT a blogging platform.

Your focussed hubs may indeed see an increase in traffic in the future, but your personal story hubs, probably not.

2. jfay2011 profile image60
      jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

true, maybe those hubs would get buried, but I also have a lot of hubs that aren't personal and those seem to be increasing in the last to days and I have not gone in and clicked on my hubs myself.  And in the future, I will try to produce hubs that aren't as personal.  But from time to time I might create a hub that is because I want to share something that happened with my community of writing friends.  I am aware that those hubs won't get as much traffic.  But over time, if my other hubs gain more attention, sometimes readers decide to read your other stuff too, because they have become accustomed to your writing.  So I wouldn't rule out the more personal hubs and say no never write them.  If we find we have extra time on our hands and want to share other stuff, then so be it.  I could actually care less if I get paid for some of the hubs.  I wrote them and they're mine and that is all that matters.  But I am enjoying writing my recipe hubs that are less personal and I do get the picture that the personal stuff doesn't pay well.  Thanks.  I get that.  But as a friend to a community of writers, I also like to share things.

1. IzzyM profile image87

You still missed the point.

Purely personal hubs are not allowed on Hubpages.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Mode … ow-Quality

1. rmcrayne profile image89
          rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's like a trainwreck you can't stop watching.  We may as well just talk amongst ourselves.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
            wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

rmcrayne
            OMG how I needed a good giggle.

That one just did it  .. . aint it amazing how the truth always makes for the best laughs.

Izzy - being the consummate Hubber that she is, tries so hard to help yet here we see a classic example of someone who just wants to talk. Takes nothing in but seems to be on a very merry way!

Yep, I get ya wavegirl.

2. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jfay2011, I think what you wanted to know if overtime your traffic from Google will increase since you updated your hubs. The answer is yes. Using the proper SEO techniques with keyword and phrases, back-links and so for will increase your traffic. I have proof through my own hubs.

Your advice is all good and well but the problem starts with the fact that she first she needs to understand what a Keyword is.

1. Cardisa profile image87

I had no idea she didn't know what a keyword was...pardon me.

And yes, I didn't know that you had to have really focused keywords, that was why my keywords were all over the place.  Izzy helped me figure that out.

you all need to lighten up.  We all have a different style of writing and mine is different thought process than yours. And quite frankly I wouldn't want to read a hub about the life of an orange or for that matter a novel about it.  Quite frankly, I think I thanked izzy for her advice and have been very busy fixing my hubs.  But there are some things that I am not going to change for any one.  People like hearing stories that they can also relate to.  Maybe I was wrong to come into your forums.  You all seem to have a hair up your opinions and seem to be ticked off quite often.  And I was talking about bits of frozen junk into the turkey, not the whole thing being frozen.  I was being funny.  some people like to see the humor in things and I see no humor here.  I happen to have more focused keywords now and my traffic is increasing and over time they will increase more.  So as you will all figure, my next hub is going to about difference of opinions.  And as far as essays go, I think the main point is if it is interesting, well written (which is my style), holds a readers interest and is strong writing, it shouldn't matter whether it be in essay style, poetry, fiction or any other type of writing.  You all seem like you have bones to pick.  We just come into these forums to ask simple answers, and some of us have more questions than others.  I am done for a while here.  Go pick on someone else.

Jfay2011,

For the first time today (on HP)  I experienced what it was like to be picked apart. I want to apologize to you because I know how you must feel being the subject of this kind of conversation. I am sorry if I offended you.

thankyou.  I have been seriously busy fixing things and it's 11:30 at night and I am getting tired.  I'm typing here and then I'm done.

2. wavegirl22 profile image48

Style of writing is one thing.

Writing a hub is another.

And quite frankly if you want your work to be seen and read you need to learn many things. So many Hubbers have come to try to help you and you heed not a word.

You have not paid one bit of attention to Izzy other than the the compliment she paid you. She too was once a newbie. But beware of her wrath for if you keep up your overweening ways, trust me you will soon hear it. She is a patient woman but mind you she is no sucker nor is she stupid.

We have all tried to help you to no avail.

This is not a place for your essays if that is what you have in your portfolio go blog it. Once again I will tell you what others have tried to. .Hubpages is not and I repeat a NOT A BLOGGING SITE.

Trust me right now people are scratching their heads wondering how it is or why it is that you have even taken this so far as to write a hub about How to Write and Get Traffic With Hubpages.

If you are such an authority how is it that 2 days ago you opened a thread called "Keywords order changed on me?" and 4 days ago a thread "When we edit do we get better results with google?"

If anything we all have learned that if you are going to write about something its important to actually know something about what you are writing about. One might even say that being an authority with some credentials is pretty important. And for someone who hasnt a clue the difference between a tag and a keyword sure isnt someone qualified to write a Hub about getting traffic.

Slow down and take a breathe. Consider yourself lucky that everyone has been extremely nice and patient with you.

Honestly I work too hard here for someone like you to come along and knock 4 or so hubs out on topics you havent a clue about.

You have many many things to learn. Before you write another Hub go to the Learning Center and try learning something.

Sorry jfay, this is not a witch hunt but I can promise you I am going to start flagging your Hubs, for low quality. And I am sure I am not alone in this.

No one wants to see you fail. The better you do, the better we all do, but I am sure no one wants anymore of your bs here. You havent fixed anything, cause you havent learned a thing in your 103 hubs.

1. IzzyM profile image87

+1

3. rmcrayne profile image89

You have been given many pieces of great advice, in a calm and rational way, which you have largely ignored, or misinterpreted.  Opinions have been expressed that differ from your own.  These things do not constitute rudeness.

I’m sure your rampage here is not what your commenter to your “How to hub” hub had in mind when he or she suggested you return to the forums, show some humility and appreciation, and make amends.  You deleted that hub comment, along with mine, stating they were rude.  They were not rude.  They very politely offered advice, and pointed out misconceptions in your advice to the hub community.  Deleting them, and dissing them was rude.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I don't understand why everyone keeps telling you that "purely personal" is a no-no, but you keep producing hubs that are such.  The reason that HP doesn't want "purely personal" is because no one cares except you and maybe your friends.  You need to really look at your analytics.  I would wager that you have a significant bounce rate even when people find you via search engine.  Google will see that and bury your hubs.

HUBPAGES IS NOT A BLOG.

3. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 12 years ago

with all due respect to those who have bee hubbing longer, those who are net savvy, and those who write professionally here,.... if purely personal hubs are strictly forbidden,... there’s a lot of house cleaning to be done a HP,...

i like the personal stuff,.... poetry isn’t personal? really? cause god knows poetry pays soooooo well! show me a poet who writes because it is inside the terms of use agreement,... show me poet who writes because its lucrative,... really?

i'm not trying to be confrontational here,...it just seems at best less than helpful and worse, elitist to focus on the presence of personal hubs when the poster clearly was not referencing those.

There is a history w/ OP of ignoring or misinterpreting worlds of great advice.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Poetry and fiction are creative writing.  That's allowed on here. 
      Some personal experience can be OK if it's not so personal that whatever the writer is aiming to share (maybe about what he learned from having one experience or another - that type of thing).  Creative writing, as of right now, is allowed.  Blog-type-stuff isn't.  HubPages tells people what's most likely to earn (and leaves it up to the Hubber to decide if he wants to learn less), but they also tell people what's not allowed these days.

An example given my Maddie Ruud was given once.  She mentioned one breed of dog, and I forget which; but the main idea was this:

If a person has a German Shepherd and writes about how cute the dog was today (that type of thing), that's purely personal.  If a person has a German Shepherd, mentions some of the behaviors and some of the things he's learned by watching his own dog, or what he's learned about the breed from having one, that's personal-experience that might be helpful to someone else. 

How cute the dog is, and what hat someone put on him for Christmas are purely personal.

Another guideline is whether the reader has to know the author personally in order to be interested.  Another guideline might be something like, "Is the Hub about the breed of dog and the author's personal experience with a dog of that breed? Or, is the Hub more a matter of "me and my dog, Bruno"?  Is the Hub about a subject that a lot of people share - or is it just about the author?

Some first-person stories (if they're written the way creative-writing pieces are generally written) would be considered "creative writing", which is allowed on here.  If you think about it, though, even a "non-fiction, creative-writing" piece about something that wouldn't be of interest to anyone but someone's relatives or friends wouldn't be considered "high-quality:"   

Basically, it's a matter of whether or not the writing amounts to being blog-kind-of-stuff or not.

I don't think anyone's being elitist at all. People have been trying to be helpful.  It's HP that says it doesn't want "purely personal", blog-type,  Hubs. 

People have been trying to offer the OP (on here and on other threads) helpful information about HP TOS and getting better traffic.

I would have to agree with you about creative writing.  We can write about personal experiences if we think people can relate to it.  They might think, oh I went through the same thing, that brings back memories.  It's sharing a piece of ourselves.  If I were to blog, I think I would write about what I like to eat all the time, oh I am going to go take a piss now, oh I think I'm going to have a stinky fart, oh, I just got a stubbed toe, oh, I'm on the rag now, (seriously not), oh I think I'm gonna hurl, oh, my son just said shit a brick, oh, I'm on the can now, oh, I could go on and on blah blah blah

3. jfay2011 profile image60

I would have to agree with stclairjack.  Poetry is great and is emotional.  Some people have said that it doesn't pay well, but obviously it does.  Might write more of that too.  And actually, essays and prose and true life stories can reach people on many levels.  It is powerful just like your crap.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

The thing is, her obtuseness will 1. Get her moderated.  That would be peachy. (Read: Attention HP staff) and she will come in here whining.  or 2. HP will sleep on the job and allow her stuff to stay on here and bring the quality of site down.

The first option doesn't bother me.  I'd like to help her but she is ignoring everyone's advice.

The second option pisses me off because I don't feel like having the whole site google-slapped because of tripe.

Scary thing is she has 149 Followers. Take a look at the Hubbers who are on that list. I am not going to start calling them out but......

If we want Hubpages to do their job, we as writers here, need to do our job as well.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Her stuff isn't bad - oh slap me I am being too nice - it needs direction. I don't think she knows how to read comments in a thread made after she posted.

I thought that was all automatic now - you get an email. I know you can opt out, but newbies don't usually.

I just want her to listen to some direction. I don't do this for the good of my health.

I'm just nice OK? Stupid nice but nice..

Slap .. ha

You know better what I am going to do to you ..

Bang Bang

1. IzzyM profile image87

Squeak!

smelly squeak you mean ..

1. IzzyM profile image87

Got it in one!

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

awwwwwww!

And I have been very nice and have been taking izzys advice to heart.  I really listen to the advice, yet on some things it took me longer to understand.  And a little bit of the personal is staying.  It's been taking me three to four days to clean things up the best that I can at this point.  Yes, I am newer than a bunch of you guys, but I bet I am not the only one on this site that doesn't know everything here.  You guys have mostly been here for two to four years which is a lot longer than I have been here.  I happen to be a talented published writer and I just happen to write different than you guys, but I have important things to say just as much as the next guy, oh I mean turd.  ha ha.  That's just my lingo.  I sometimes like to make people think of the metaphors.

gee melissa, some of your stuff could interest me in the least.  And I think in the beginning of me seeing you on this site, you sort of slapped me in the face.

I could have more words for Melissa, but I will refrain.  You can just imagine

I think in the very beginning she had the galls to suggest that I catch a lot of slack in real life, hey, maybe she does and she just doesn't know it.

maybe she should find a pole to sit and spin on like some guy said in another nasty forum.  We only come here to learn from you, not to have ourselves put through a shredder.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

This thread is too funny.

lol lol lol lol lol

6. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

This is getting a bit mean now. Turn on me if you wish, but it is getting mean.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Not only me, but I have sat and explained what a keyword is.

My email box is open, if anyone needs further detail, I am never far away.

She isn't listening. She doesn't seem to return to a thread she opened, and so misses a lot of the advice.

It is exactly like a train wreck.

She is going to find most of not all of her hubs unpublished if she doesn't start listening and taking aboard the advice she has been given.

I am not being mean. If I was mean, I wouldn't offer advice in the first place.

I would advise her to rewrite those personal hubs. There is a way to tell your personal story without it being purely personal.

She probably has not returned because she feels hurt by the remarks.

Check out some of her other threads.  She pops in from time to time, and replies to one of her own posts in the thread, re-stating her misinterpretations of things.  Sometimes she cheerfully reponds to someone else's post, again misinterpreting to her preconceived notions, seemingly oblivious to everything else. Seems there are a frustrated few of us that can't turn away from the trainwreck.  Maybe we keep hoping she'll have an actual reality-based "Eureka!"  Unfortunately the more she comments, the more evident it is the magnitude of her misconceptions.

No, izzy is a nice person

2. rmcrayne profile image89

As I said before, there is a history w/ OP of ignoring or misinterpreting worlds of great advice, over many threads.

And as Izzy and others have said, she often seems not to come back to her many threads to read the advice posted.

That is so sad because there is often lot to learn in the forums and it's only courtesy to return to a forum post you started.

we don't ignore your advice, it is that we possibly haven't understood it in the right way.  I always do come back to the forums.  I just so happen to get busy with other things too.  I have four children that happen to also keep me busy.  And I take time to do my writing.  Pardon, CREATIVE WRITING.  I really have only been active here for three to four months and have learned a lot in that short time.

Over 100 hubs in 3-4 months.  Maybe I broke a record for a newbie.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58

I probably did get a little mean.  She frustrates me.  As prolific as she is with her hubs, if she actually took advice she could be a valuable addition to the community, as it is she is just rapidly producing junk hubs.  Not because she is a spammer, but because she won't listen to the advice she asks for.

I have never seen her hubs so had no idea. I just assumed since she spoke of keywords, she had real articles.

2. wavegirl22 profile image48

You were not mean.

A a matter of fact everyone has been extremely nice. When someone goes in and out of the forums asking questions and does not bother to listen to others who have taken the time to help her and then goes and opens another thread asking another question with pretty much the same BS. what does she deserve.

Melissa, please stick to your guns. You want Hubpages to be a site of quality work, correct?

Cower down to no one. Demand the best.

Like I said before, I write different than you Melissa stinky

1. IzzyM profile image87

That is a personal attack on another hubber which is against HP forum rules. I think your should apologise now. AND CALM DOWN!!

2. rmcrayne profile image89

Just stop yourself.  Seriously.

3. theherbivorehippi profile image66
          theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Name calling is not permitted in the forums.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58

Melissa Stinky?  Seriously?

Now my life is truly complete.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Bet you haven't been called that since infant school!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58

*grins* I was called that about a month ago by my two year old.  "Mean and stinky" actually.  That's why I found it so amusing.

4. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree this thread seems mean - maybe some are frustrated with previous encounters, but it seems like a little clique picking on someone else

7. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I wasn't talking about the advice given regards keywords etc. I was referring to the comments made about the number of followers she had and how scary that was. Check out who follows her etc. That's personal, mean and not helpful to anyone.

I agree with you Hollie, I see some great writers here who have few followers and crappy writers with huge following. Your followers have nothing to do with your writing abilities.

But, it would help her to follow up on the advice she gets.

I sometimes keep coming back to forums I didn't start just because I can learn a thing or two.

1. ikechiawazie profile image60
        ikechiawazieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cardisa, love your comment. When i joined hubpages, i was intimidated by the number of followers that other writers had but i discovered that some writers were crappy and had a lot of followers while good writers had few followers. I agree that your ability in writing has nothing to do with your followers

I too felt intimated and started following people to get them to follow me. But I realized that most of the people I followed wrote crappy material so I stopped. I decided to just be myself no matter who followed and in no time my followers doubled, even tripled.

The crappy writers don't take time to really read your stuff anyway. The people I have reading my work now are great and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

8. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 12 years ago

Interesting.  jfay has written a "How to" hub for HubPages.

1. ikechiawazie profile image60
      ikechiawazieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks again cardisa

2. Cardisa profile image87

You are welcome Ikechiawazie.

@ Rmcrayne, may she does know what she is doing. I write a lot of "how to" hubs for HP!

Why don't you read the hub and report back.  A lot of people write "How to" hubs, but it doesn't necessarily mean they should.  I only trust a dozen or so hubbers when it comes to this stuff.  Others may have great advice, but I just can't be sure.  I trust sunforged, darkside, relache, thisisoli, Maddie Ruud, WordPlay, Susana S, Mark Knowles, Lissie etc. Even if they have conflicting opinions from each other, I feel "safe" with advice from these hubbers.  Sometimes however I dismiss certain info because it is more realistic for "big leaguers".  Some of it is way over my head and out of my reach.

Okay, report.
          I am baffled because a "how to" hub is supposed have some sort of instruction or advice and I certainly did not see that. I now understand what you mean.

I challenge you to read one of my tutorial hubs and report back. If my hubs are that boring, I promise to never write another HP tutorial or "How To" hub again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)