300 WORD HUBS

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. mhodgeblogger profile image60
    mhodgebloggerposted 12 years ago

Hi,

I've been blogging for various sites for a year now- I am used to doing pieces of around 300-words in length.

Is that ok for my Hub? It's the length I feel comfortable with and I was told it was prefect for the internet.

Thanks

Mark

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

300 words is fine, I have lots just over 300.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've wondered about this myself as mine tend to run between 600-1000 words.  Do your 300 word hubs rank well UW?

Some do, some don't.

Contests are different. I do wish, though, that HubPages spelled it out expressly what are the minimum number of words they will accept.

Thanks for the response, I try not to ask hubbers specific questions about their ranking (I know it can be taken as rude) but I wondered if some of my longer hubs coul be broken down into shorter ones with each one focusing on more specific long-tail keywords.  I worried they would be too short to rank though.

Usually, I do aim for 400 and up. I admit that my best performing hub has over 1,000 words, but one that is right under the number for views (and which incidentally got the most views yesterday and has a 80) for that is 362 words.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

HP really, really likes hubs that are 500 words in length.

3. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Yeah I would say HP is now looking at the 500 mark..all these contests did give the indication clearly. And even Google like them a little wordy I guess.

But then HP is not an blog..it is an article submission site.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

My feeling about HP and articles is equating them to newspaper or magazine articles.  Some are short, some are long.  Too short or too long is wrong - imo.

But it's tricky to fix a length and just stop when you reach it, or have to pad out to get there.

Did the article satisfy the searcher?  Is it a genuine piece of work?

I did read a total piece of crap supposed magazine the other day where their definition of an article was about fifty words and a picture.  So there must be an element of who your audience is as well.

Short answer is - I don't know.

500 is my minimum, a thousand feels about right.  But it has to be worth the read for the reader, not just a load of words.

5. BeatsMe profile image54
    BeatsMeposted 12 years ago

Is the word count really necessary? Being too subjective about the word counts can make your hubs worse if words are only filled in for the sake of just making your hubs wordy. Wordy hubs doesn't necessarily mean better hubs.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I think you will find that 300 words is about the minimum HP will accept in most hubs.  Poetry and such is different, of course.

Bear in mind that hubs are not your normal blog - they are better compared to a magazine article than a blog. 

You will find a great difference on length of hubs between hubbers.  I probably average around 1500 words, which is on the long side.  Topic makes a huge difference as well.

Mark hit the nail on the head - does it satisfy the reader, giving them what they came for without padding it with a bunch of fluff just to reach a minimum count?  If so, it's the right size.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

my hubs usually run anywhere from 10 to 20 words max..... but I supplement with tons of pictures of young Bollywood actresses looking provocatively and lustfully back at the reader

That's the way to go really.  I was thinking of doing a series of 20-40 word hubs about the many poufs of Snooki...

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

not sure what a pouf is... but I dont want to see Snooki's

8. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Funny, isn't it?  Some of us have trouble keeping hubs UNDER 2,000 words and others struggle to fill what we'd call a long paragraph :-)

But many can say in 300 words that some need 2,000 for smile

9. crazyhorsesghost profile image70
    crazyhorsesghostposted 12 years ago

You will find that Hubs of 800 or more words will do better if you hope to make money with them. They also need to have a key word density of 2.5 percent. I know that some people will say well I have this 400 word hub that does well. Well it may for a while but the statement that content is king is more true post panda than it ever was before.

My 362 page hub gets over 200 visits a day and has since 2009, it also earns me money every day. It depends on whether or not people want that information.

10. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I've always aimed for over 600 and up...maybe I'll try to write a few shorter ones and see

1. profile image0
      Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could write 300 words if that was a requirement.  Otherwise, I aim for 500 and usually end with 1,000.  I am also putting more effort into illustrating my Hubs with photographs, quotes, maps, etc.  No shots of current, "hot" celebrities.  Nothing stays current in that department.

11. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I must admit that unless a very very narrow topic is addressed, which demands only the briefest of treatments, an article of 300 words makes me feel cheated.

Mostly, when I research something on the Web, other than maybe how to perform some procedure in a software program, I am looking for in-depth information on the subject, including a full background and a list of the sources consulted.

Unfortunately, the general dumbing down of Internet content and the lip service paid by search engines to the "lowest common denominator" means that I am unlikely the find the sort of material I need in the first ten pages or so of search results.

My short hubs are very narrow in focus. Such as about one song, one artist, how to write a check, etc. I wouldn't think of only writing 300 words on a topic people would use for research. I hate when I am doing a search and get regurgitated crap that barely scratches the surface. However, sometimes I want a short article that gives me the high points of a non-serious topic, such as a biography.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think it has more to do with what audience you write for and the topic.

I don't think I have a hub with less than 500 words. I haven't checked too recently, but generally my hubs that rank well have more than 1000 words.

1. carol3san profile image59
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

3oo words isn't much, but I suppose it's the quality that counts, not the quanty, which of cours, is a good thing..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)